Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: How important is Hit on a Prot Paly????

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    2/2 Benediction over 2/2 Vindication = fail
    5/5 Reckoning over 3/3 Divine Guardian = meh
    1/3 Combat Expertise = GTFO, you're in no position to spew out advice.
    He's changed his spec since yesterday, probably to test the upgrade on threat via crusade, so to be fair, I think this is an experimental spec, as opposed to a main spec.

Just gear up. You should be putting out 6-8 k threat at all times anyway , so only lock (before 3.3 that is ) and hunters should have any chance to reach you. and hunters can fake death ! true story..

Quote Originally Posted by chopnfat
    He's changed his spec since yesterday, probably to test the upgrade on threat via crusade, so to be fair, I think this is an experimental spec, as opposed to a main spec.
    that doesn't change that its an epic fail spec how can you not take 4% extra sta as a tank

When I need more threat I work harder...
    This rationale confused me slightly when it comes to paladin tanking.

When using a 969 rotation, every global cooldown is used already. It is literally not possible to spend your time more efficiently, unless one were in fact not using said rotation in the first place.

The only way to 'work harder' is to pop wings/offensive consumables/offensive trinkets/etc or to gear for more hit rating beforehand. If you pop those cooldowns and continue to miss, all that extra work amounts to not very much at all.

A lot of people complain about the paladin style of tanking, because it differs somewhat from the others and they don't understand fully how. Because there are so many passive aspects to the class' tanking method (thunder clap, demo shout, guardian spirit), a large amount of the tanking is done long before ever entering an instance. It's mostly done in preparation and planning.

If a paladin's not specced at least 1 point into improved judgements, they can't even perform their rotation, and there will be much wasted time. If they glyph consecration, they can't perform their rotation, and there will be much wasted time. If they can't land a blow on a target, they can't keep up with the dps. If they keep the threat ceiling low, the target dies slower, and the healer's mana is taxed more.

The multitude of tankadins running around at 100 hit rating or less these days drives me crazy.

Hit rating is the second threat stat we have, if it is not coming with gear you don't really need to take it. If you are below the hit cap for a large amount you can safely change 1 of your glyphs to Glyph of Righteous Defense. Initial threat can be gained from tricks and misdirects from the start of the encounter. You can start with Libram of Valiance then after you make a gap btw your dps you can safely change it to Libram of Defiance. Hit is mostly a problem when you are add tanking, that is generally when you don't get tricks or misdirects, having a ~5% hit items may solve this problem quickly.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rhorn&n=Nikoli

254 hit rating suits me just fine, I wont replace my neck for the ToC ones simply due to the loss of hit rating. Imo, its not worth gaining very little stats, and losing alot of hit. Having said that, to the OP, I myself do not glyph for RD.

I Tank ToC10 and ToC25 weekly, i kick out a nice 6/7k tps as standard (obv it bumps up from wings etc). I have never had a problem with taunts missing. Imo, the only times taunts are really important are on Gormock and adds on Anub, but either way, taunts in those fights are only imperetive in the hard mode versions. Most of the time in normals an extra stack of impale doesnt really make a difference . (HoP yourself afterwards etc etc).

I wouldn't gem for it, EVER, the only things you may want if your low on hit is accuracy (on weapon or hands) and titanium weapon chain.

Other than that, with most EoT gear, the helm from ony and enchants, you will be set for hit easily.

Bawk
    Retards should not be aided. They should just be pointed toward the coldest pole on which to stick their tongue.
    A Balance Druid who has balanced the Balance in his Balance Spec between Crit and Haste is a Balanced Balance Druid.
    80 Druid (exBC toon), 80 Mage (Arcane), 80 DK (lol), 80 Hunter (MM), 80 Pally(prot/ret), 61 Rogue (Ass/Subt), 80 Lock (Demo/Affli), 23 Warr (Prot/fury hybrid).
    Pally - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&cn=Nikoli.
    Hunter - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&cn=Grubba

hit for pally tanks are almost useless except when tank swapping.
    I roll with 45~ hit :P
    dps never ever takes aggro from me anyhow.
    Just use shield of the righteous and go /afk

Quote Originally Posted by themorre
    Just use shield of the righteous
    and go /afk
    And if it misses you're screwed
    it's /faceroll (1 button tanking ftw)

Point 1: Like many in this thread pointed out HIT is a stat which will definiteley improve your threat unless you are overcapped. BUT aggro, especially for a paladin, isnt that much of a matter to really consider hit as needed just to stay above the DD´s.

Point 2: There are lots of bosses where you need to taunt between two or more tanks, due to some debuffs stacking up or whatever. "Brutallus" somehow is coming to my mind here. Then you just cant afford your taunt to miss. We had that problem at brutallus, where our feral tank wasnt hit capped and we had several wipes due to his taunt missing.

Just make sure you got some hit items you can wear in those cases, otherwise you will attract the hate of your RL.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan
    Point 1: Like many in this thread pointed out HIT is a stat which will definiteley improve your threat unless you are overcapped. BUT aggro, especially for a paladin, isnt that much of a matter to really consider hit as needed just to stay above the DD´s.

Point 2: There are lots of bosses where you need to taunt between two or more tanks, due to some debuffs stacking up or whatever. "Brutallus" somehow is coming to my mind here. Then you just cant afford your taunt to miss. We had that problem at brutallus, where our feral tank wasnt hit capped and we had several wipes due to his taunt missing.

Just make sure you got some hit items you can wear in those cases, otherwise you will attract the hate of your RL.
    THIS!!
    Retards should not be aided. They should just be pointed toward the coldest pole on which to stick their tongue.
    A Balance Druid who has balanced the Balance in his Balance Spec between Crit and Haste is a Balanced Balance Druid.
    80 Druid (exBC toon), 80 Mage (Arcane), 80 DK (lol), 80 Hunter (MM), 80 Pally(prot/ret), 61 Rogue (Ass/Subt), 80 Lock (Demo/Affli), 23 Warr (Prot/fury hybrid).

My rule of thumb is to stay over 200 hit rating, and I do it between having some gear that has hit rating, and using a Vivid Eye of Zul in any yellow sockets that have a socket bonus of +7 stamina or more, such as Liadrin's Breastplate of Triumph I have gemmed with a Vivid and a Solid.

Also, given that nearly every boss swing is a Miss, Block, Dodge, or Parry without using the Blade Ward enchant (and most assuredly is whenever Redoubt procs), I've gone back to using Enchant Weapon - Accuracy as well.

It's really not giving up that much in the way of HP pool, and on fights where that matters more (such as Gormok's Impale on Heroic NRB), I swap my Eitrigg's Oath out for Juggernaut's Vitality to run stacked with the Heroic version.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Quote Originally Posted by themorre
    Just use shield of the righteous and go /afk
    hammer of the righteous
    shield of righteousness

If u miss with one spell some1 will die.. so ye.. its important
    Click Here Please ^^
    --> http://s1.gladiatus.it/game/c.php?uid=116429 <--

i sit at about 200
    it works well
    i don't try for it
    but its just there

also quick question 2 all ya'll prots
    when i gem
    blue = 30 stam
    red = strength/stam (if the socket bonus is 12stam, 245 tier helm)
    yellow = so far i havnt had 2 make a decision on this socket color so far, the yellow that i do have (245 tier chest) is just +9
    so i just go double 30 stams

Quote Originally Posted by Olderonous
    i sit at about 200
    it works well
    i don't try for it
    but its just there

also quick question 2 all ya'll prots
    when i gem
    blue = 30 stam
    red = strength/stam (if the socket bonus is 12stam, 245 tier helm)
    yellow = so far i havnt had 2 make a decision on this socket color so far, the yellow that i do have (245 tier chest) is just +9
    so i just go double 30 stams

go for agility instead str
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Definitely go for +10 agi / +15 stam if you want the socket bonus on red slots and are gemming for stam.
    All the cool kids do it too.

Blue = 30 stam
    Red = 10agi/stam (some also go for 10dodge/15stam) but.....
    All the cool kids do it too.
    Yellow = 10def/15stam but if your capped/over capped def, then 30 stam doesnt hurt. Unless your stam is uber already, then don't worry about it too much.

Only go to the stam socket bonuses is its +9 or +12. The rest is pretty pointless imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bawkbawkboom
    Blue = 30 stam
    Red = 10agi/stam (some also go for 10dodge/15stam) but.....
    Yellow = 10def/15stam but if your capped/over capped def, then 30 stam doesnt hurt. Unless your stam is uber already, then don't worry about it too much.

I roll with about 100 hit rating an don't ever seem to have any threat issues. If you are worried about taunts just grab a stack of the taunt glyph and slap one in when ya want.

I used to have both my hit and expertise soft capped, but I traded away a little bit of each for more survivability (ToC Heroic hits hard :/); I haven't had any trouble holding aggro at all, even with 7k and 8k dps warriors doing their best to steal aggro and get 1-shot.

Here's my armory for the exact #'s: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nd&n=Nifleheim