Thread: Arena question

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Arena question

I run Ret/Resto Druid in 2v2 arena. I was just wondering if there are any good tactics to beating a Disc Priest or Afflic Lock comp. We can kill most double DPS. I'm also unable to put enough pressure on the opposing healer so they sit there and /lol while they mana burn mine.

The main problem is my gear I guess. I started late in the season and I have very little gear. i got all of my gear from doing 2v2 arenas under 1500 rating while with the healer. I ran double DPS when the season started and got Relentless weapon but haven't had as much luck with Ret/healer. Armory is:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Iron&n=Nymmath

I would just like some advice on spec/gear choices and maybe some tactics I could use in arena as Ret/Healer. Please only criticize with reasoning and don't come on here with all that "ur bad. ret sux. reroll and lrn2play." I'm here for advice, not trolling.

I really need advice on this. I just dropped my team like 50 points because of losses. I have Relentless weapon and I'm hitting for fucking dick smith damage. It's like throwing a rock at a train. Everyone else has Relentless gear and Furious and I have Deadly and relentless offset pieces with PvE gear thrown in.

Re: Arena question

I ran disc/ret last season and can tell your aff lock + disc priest will beat u almost everytime. Its a hard as hell comp to beat. only thing i can that worked for us everyonce in awhile was to just hammer the priest as hard as u can and hope u can get em down before your druid ooms.

Yeah I almost always have to wait for HoJ, racial silence and wings to be off CD at the same time and use them all and try to burn down a healer but lately in 1500 that doesn't even work. We're going up against Relentless people and I have mostly Deadly/pve/relentless offset pieces.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

I'd say, if you face a disc priest team and they try to oom ya by manaburning the druid, he should try to LoS or bearform if he's not able to do so (he wont loose mana if mana burned in bear form). Also, using only lifebloom (heals when dispeled) and non HoTs could be a good idea if the priest likes to spam dispel to remove the HoTs.

offesively, one idea could be to chain CC the priest while killing its partner. CC chain would be something like: 3x cyclone - repentance - HoJ. After this you cyclone the DPS once to prevent healing untill you get DR off from the priest for 3 more cyclones on it, possibly followed by a bash (don't allow for any gaps where the priest can use instant heals).

Against afflication warlocks, try killing the pet by pulling it out of LoS of enemy healer. if it dies, your druid is able to drink. If they pull it back your druid will be able to get atleast a few ticks by drinking. Also, make sure your druid dispels the curses from the warlock, it will lower the damage a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arka90
    I'd say, if you face a disc priest team and they try to oom ya by manaburning the druid, he should try to LoS or bearform if he's not able to do so (he wont loose mana if mana burned in bear form). Also, using only lifebloom (heals when dispeled) and non HoTs could be a good idea if the priest likes to spam dispel to remove the HoTs.

offesively, one idea could be to chain CC the priest while killing its partner. CC chain would be something like: 3x cyclone - repentance - HoJ. After this you cyclone the DPS to prevent healing untill you get DR off from the priest for 3 more cyclones, possibly followed by a bash (don't allow for any gaps where the priest can use instant heals).

Against afflication warlocks, try killing the pet by pulling it out of LoS of enemy healer. if it dies, your druid is able to drink. If they pull it back your druid will be able to get atleast a few ticks by drinking. Also, make sure your druid dispels the curses from the warlock, it will lower the damage a lot.
    Due to the last 15 games, out of which probably 11 were losses, I would assume I'm not only having trouble with those comps. I'm only able to kill bad double DPS comps. I really don't know how to get geared without getting a high rating and I can't get a high rating unless I get geared.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MayneNymmath
    Due to the last 15 games, out of which probably 11 were losses, I would assume I'm not only having trouble with those comps. I'm only able to kill bad double DPS comps. I really don't know how to get geared without getting a high rating and I can't get a high rating unless I get geared.
    Well, there isn't much of a problem with your gear. Exept for those deadly gloves your gear is pretty much fine (ofc there are upgrades, tho). It could be because of your choice of setup, a ret pally lacks healing debuff and interupt and is generally a pretty defensive spec. You almost need to team up with someone that has those effects in order to be able to get a kill, like a rogue (tho, I've also seen a few high rated retri + frost mage).

But maybe you're just stuck because of your teammate's gear? on armory he's using 4 pieces of T9 and from my eperience a healer in PvE gear isn't a good idea (especially when he's a druid and can avoid a lot of CC, and you're able to dispell the rest. making enemy team CC you instead, and go for the druid)

IMO get a diff comp cause 2's w/o another dps is hard for a ret paladin right now. or get a warrior and do 3's. My advice Ret/Rogue

Try to get the healer to trinket HoJ, then chain Cyclones and repentence on him while oyu take down the dps class.

I think you should get 2/2 blessing of might in ret tree, and try to get 2/2 unyielding faith.. and take off pts from Righteous vegeance, as you have fairly low AP unbuffed imo. also this may not make a huge difference, but try replacing glyph of LoH with kings as you cant even use LoH in arena.. this may help your mana a bit when you need to recast kigns on your druid (im assuming you're giving him kings instead of wisdom)

I wish I could give some more useful advice or suggestions.. but as ret/resto druid 2v2er myself, Ive only gone up to 1550 where my partner decided to quit the game =/ But we were doing well in terms of stats..

Why does your pvp have glyph of sense undead but not your pve tree O.o

10+ Year Old Account

Well your crit rating is a bit low & when combined with enemy resilience it will hurt your dps allot, you also have the greatness trinket which while nice for sustained dps isn't great for burst on command.

Id suggest replacing greatness with wrathstone off of kologarn 25, it will add around 2% more crit as well as allot of ap on use which can be incredible when combined with wings.

There is only one tactic that works well with your combo though & that's repent the healer burn the teammate as soon as repent is up stun the healer if they trinket that have ur teammate cyclone them. If you can pump out enough burst to down the healers teammate while the healer is CC'd you shouldn't have any problem winning after that.

The other thing you could do is go with a frost mage, destructo lock or elemental shaman for ur teammate, with the amount of survivability you have & can provide your teammate with you will be able to down enemies easy. Just keep sacred shield up & bubble/heal them as needed and provide support doing dps, stunning or repenting healers while they cc/burst the enemy dps.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetNoata
    Why does your pvp have glyph of sense undead but not your pve tree O.o
    At first that was my PvE spec but then I made both specs PvP specs to try different things out and then switched to having that at PvP and the other PvE.

Oh, and don't forget to SS and Flash for HoT on yourself or on druid.... until 3.3 patch that is =P

Quote Originally Posted by Riek
    I think you should get 2/2 blessing of might in ret tree, and try to get 2/2 unyielding faith.. and take off pts from Righteous vegeance, as you have fairly low AP unbuffed imo. also this may not make a huge difference, but try replacing glyph of LoH with kings as you cant even use LoH in arena.. this may help your mana a bit when you need to recast kigns on your druid (im assuming you're giving him kings instead of wisdom)

I wish I could give some more useful advice or suggestions.. but as ret/resto druid 2v2er myself, Ive only gone up to 1550 where my partner decided to quit the game =/ But we were doing well in terms of stats..
    You know, I'll try this with my other spec for a few games. Thanks

I put SS on whoever they're focusing on and FoL my healer. I HoP him if he gets low against melee and if I see an incoming CC chain I use Divine Sac or HoSac. If he's getting focused on and they're trying to keep him from healing, I stop DPS and heal him. I try all of these things but we have been doing horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Arka90
    Well, there isn't much of a problem with your gear. Exept for those deadly gloves your gear is pretty much fine (ofc there are upgrades, tho). It could be because of your choice of setup, a ret pally lacks healing debuff and interupt and is generally a pretty defensive spec. You almost need to team up with someone that has those effects in order to be able to get a kill, like a rogue (tho, I've also seen a few high rated retri + frost mage).

But maybe you're just stuck because of your teammate's gear? on armory he's using 4 pieces of T9 and from my eperience a healer in PvE gear isn't a good idea (especially when he's a druid and can avoid a lot of CC, and you're able to dispell the rest. making enemy team CC you instead, and go for the druid)
    Fix'd the gloves. Should show up on Armory now. Got Furious last night and next week I can get another piece of Furious like the helm, chest or legs.

Do you guys think I should go with full PvP gear or keep Conq. set bonus? When T10 comes out, I'm damn well getting the 2 set for PvP but until then, should I go for more survivability or offense?

Just make sure to interupt UA so you can dispell....urm....ok, just make sure to use your short cooldown defenses to put fear on DR...nvm...

in seriousness though, taunt the warlocks pet behind a pillar and gib it with assisted dps and a HoJ, immediately switch on the priest and have your druid bash/cyclone + repent the lock through fel dom to either kill the pet or force the trinket, switch back off healer and either rinse for the second pet kill, or pressure the hell out of the lock.

you're gonna spend a lot of time sat in fear though, your druid rooting or cycloning the lock through the no DR fears can really help you keep pressure up, as long as the druid does not waltz around in LoS (or you're in RoV) the lock should have a fairly hard time out DPSing your druids heals as long as he keeps UA and haunt from hitting himself.

thats what i would try anyways, although i'm not a massorchist, so i don't 2v2 on my ret :P

Quote Originally Posted by Deathflid
    Just make sure to interupt UA so you can dispell....urm....ok, just make sure to use your short cooldown defenses to put fear on DR...nvm...

in seriousness though, taunt the warlocks pet behind a pillar and gib it with assisted dps and a HoJ, immediately switch on the priest and have your druid bash/cyclone + repent the lock through fel dom to either kill the pet or force the trinket, switch back off healer and either rinse for the second pet kill, or pressure the hell out of the lock.

you're gonna spend a lot of time sat in fear though, your druid rooting or cycloning the lock through the no DR fears can really help you keep pressure up, as long as the druid does not waltz around in LoS (or you're in RoV) the lock should have a fairly hard time out DPSing your druids heals as long as he keeps UA and haunt from hitting himself.

thats what i would try anyways, although i'm not a massorchist, so i don't 2v2 on my ret :P
    lol well thanks man. I'll try this. It's not a problem with the comp Disc/Afflic (god help me if they ever started working together). It's comps like Afflic/Resto Druid and Disc/Ret or Disc/Rogue.

10+ Year Old Account

I run ret/tree as well.

Disc priests comps are a pain. Disc/Ret and Disc/Lock i havent figured out yet... any suggestions?

Disc/Rogue and Disc/War are easy though.

Find a way to get the rogue/warrior to sit on the druid, my healer usually doesnt pre-hot himself as much as me to try and direct fire to himself.

You pop seal of wisdom and sit on the priest. your resto druid kites the War/Rogue to the other side of the arena. (you should have no problem staying alive vs. disc as long as your smacking them around enough to not start smite spamming. keep the dots on you to proc SS and FoL when the proc is up and your almost guarunteed a FoL crit) The druid keeps Moonfire and Insect Swarm on the War/Rogue until their around 40%. at that point, the druid Cyclones the War/Rogue, you pop SoR, HoJ the priest and run to the DPS. the druid in the meantime goes and cyclones the priest, and you finish off the dps.

Edit: i had a few horrible spelling errors

the reason we have issues vs. Disc/Lock and Disc/Ret teams is, you cant kite a caster like you can a melee... and rets can easily heal thru resto druid dps, just like they can heal thru Priest DPS.
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

Yeah I JUST did an afflic/Holy team and it was a pain. It lasted 26 minutes and my hands were so sore after that. We lost but got damn close to winning multiple times. Both Pally AND lock got to 25% HP maybe until the pally would heal. It was like he's immune to all silence because I use wings, HoJ and silence at once to try to burst them down but he somehow wasn't affected by the silence (not sure if Aura Mastery can be used while stunned).