Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Warlock DPS when Mob is Fire based

ok - noob question !

i was in HOL (Hc) when i noticed that my Rain of Fire didnt work on the Fire based creatures - so many of my destro lock spells are fire based i wondered what alternate spells locks are supposed to use in these situations?

thanks

Re: Warlock DPS when Mob is Fire based

Kind of a silly answer, but.. Your shadow spells.

I forget if CB works on fire-immune mobs, if so it's good to use.
    Otherwise, use SB and corruption. Seed of Corruption if you want to AOE.

Not much else to use on them.

at that part i ussualy start with my firespells on the once that are not immum to fire, if the fire creature is still alive after that i just hit him with shadowbolt.

yes your dps will be lower there (or you must have put talents in shadow bolt for some odd reason) but its just a small part of the instance.

(and if i remember right cb doesnt work on them either)

Single target: shadow bolt, curses, corruption, drain life, death coil,
    talented: shadow fury, unstable affliction, haunt, shadow burn, shadowflame (cone)
    AoE: seed of corruption

Most warlock spells are shadow. Destro is the odd one out.
    I may look busy, but I'm just confused.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Thats great - thanks for that

Doesn't chaos bolt do shadow OR fire damage depending on the targets resistances or did I imagine that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Quote Originally Posted by russ555
    Doesn't chaos bolt do shadow OR fire damage depending on the targets resistances or did I imagine that?
    thats mages with frostfire bolt (doing frost or fire dmg)

Chaosbolt always hits (or tries) with fire damage

Deleted

Chaos Bolt used to ignore resistances and other damage mitigation effects, but they changed it at around 3.1 because of the implications for PvP. I think I'm right about all that, please correct me if I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    Chaos Bolt used to ignore resistances and other damage mitigation effects, but they changed it at around 3.1 because of the implications for PvP. I think I'm right about all that, please correct me if I'm not.
    Correct, it used to be "Chaos Damage" but now its just fire damage. I don't recall if our +% fire damage talents affected it before hand though.

15+ Year Old Account

There is only one fire-based mob that takes less damage from fire (because it's immune) and thats the elementals in front of Vezax.

Blizzard has specifically said they're going away from the "Bosses take less damage from certain schools" model because it forced specific classes (Mages/Warlocks) to completely respec for one fight (Alar) and rendered other classes/specs completely useless (Balance druids on Hydross).

In all other situations, spam shadow bolt or use seed of corruption. Seed does less damage for Destro but it still is a great AOE spell when your only alternative is shadow bolt.

R.I.P. YARG

I drain soul to make shards.

You probably need shards, and it's not like you will be doing much better with other spells.

Curse, Corruption, spam Shadow Bolt. Expect to do crap damage, but it's better than nothing. If you are low on shards just CoA/Corr and Drain Soul. It doesn't come up that often anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    I don't think that's right, because if it where, they would have changed frostfire.

CB used to ignore all immunities back in beta, but it was changed early on because banish+cb would be way too OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachchairs
    I drain soul to make shards.

You probably need shards, and it's not like you will be doing much better with other spells.
    thats what I do there aswell, and on any other magic reduction mob I come across

guys what the hell.. stop with this wrong information here are the facts:

chaosbolt is pure fire dmg, nothing else.
    chaosbolt ignores resistances, therefore it should go through fire-immune targets

Chaos Bolt ignores resistances and absorption, not immunity. When you attack a fire immune mob it does not give you the damage as 100% absorbed, or resisted. It's a separate mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananengurke

chaosbolt ignores resistances, therefore it should go through fire-immune targets
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Those are not the facts.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

How the hell did you make it to 80 without using a shadow spell.

Seriously wtf.

It does ignore resistances(partial or full), and absorption.
    However it doesn't ignore fire-immunity, creature immunities of these types are not caused by resistance, but rather their mob-type.

Chaos bolts doesn't ignore immunities, if it does so, 5v5 will be full of 1 resto druids + 4 destro locks. Cyclone > Chaos bolt x 4 = GG.