Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

What UI is best for a Shadow Priest?

Looked around but nothing leapt out at me, and most of the ones that I find are very old posts, making me question if they are still usuable/valid UI's. I need something current! Worshaka I'd be particularily interested in yours. Given your quote here in the DPS sticky, I realized I should really get something besides the standard Blizzard UI.

I just want to make a quick comment on UI's but will expand this section in time. Your UI is EXTREMELY important, it needs to be able to communicate vast amounts of information to you easily without distracting your attention to what you're doing. I would say that 99% of DPS probelms result from poor UI's, not understanding things like

1. Does my UI feed me detailed DoT information on multiple targets so I know exactly when to recast my DoTs?
    2. Does my UI promote my main eye focus to be close to my character so I can see when I need to move out of fire etc?
    3. Can I see what my raid is doing via raid frames at a glance? This includes knowing where people are, what buffs or debuffs they may have, being able to dispel anything nasty instantly etc.
    4. Do I know where I stand in the threat list. Can I see who is top 5 in the threat list.
    5. Do I know when timed raid events are about to happen eg. Mistress Portal for Jarraxus so I know to switch to the Portal and DPS it immediately?
    6. Can I evaluate healer's mana and preemptively use Hymn of Hope if they need a hand?

I could go on forever but I guarantee a vast amount of people who read this post can't answer yes to any of those questions above, at least give an honest yes.

Always critque your UI, if you die ask yourself why and be honnest with yourself when it was your fault. Did your UI give you enough information to react, if it didn't why not? What needs to change, what important information isn't getting to you quick enough. How can you fix that issue?

I've read the rest of the post, and tried to follow it as closely as possible, (Armory Link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Pontificate) and now just want to do what I can to get my game up. I do have an add-on timer that I like, Event Horizon, I just feel it's high time to get a decent UI and would love to here from all you TOTGC clearing l33t Shadow Priests. Thanks in advance.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Re: What UI is best for a Shadow Priest?

You need a boss mod (Bigwigs/DMB), a dot timer and a 'dispel/cure' addon (most use grid but I'm still old school with decursive), whatever else you want is purely optional and to be honest a crutch that will break when a new patch is released and you will be one of the people shouting 'hold on I need to update my mods' when everyone else is ready to go.
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Interesting point. I have DMB (I do consider that a must-have, even though it's a crutch), Decursive, and Event Horizon, but I could get by with the latter two. Maybe I'll just hold off on the UI until after 3.3 I suppose. Still, I'm going to definitely look into it...I want to be highly, highly competent. Thanks for the reply.

Deleted

i for one have raided HC in vanilla and Bc start wrath. and moste of that time was withe the standard Ui just with some changes to it.. mosty a few simpel addons.

treat meater, boss mods, and some better uint frames with grid and some dot timer.

the lay out was simpel and thats what i think works. dont think i can find a screen shot to show you.

but i can only say there is no need for someing fancy...

Most of my time i used default blizzard UI but since i read Worshaka's thread i decided to do something about it. I've had some attempts in the past but i always been turning back on the default.

2 days ago i downloaded quite a few, first of them was Shadow Unit Frames, along with a simplistic design it was very easy to setup information it would display on the frames as well as size of your own debuffs on target/focus/etc.

Second useful one i found is MikScrollingBattleText. The reason i find this one very useful is that you can have clear view of the damage flow, you don't get insane amount of numbers popping out when you mind seer a decent pack of mobs just a simple 10493 dmg / 5 hits (for example) and most importantly it gives you announcement when your MB, SW, Dispersion and SF comes off of cooldown.

Of course i use DBM as well as bartender which gives me again a little more simplistic design and enables me too have a larger portion of the screen free for either to see what is actually going on in the fight or for other addons.

To have an overview of the raid and what is going on i use grid.

The only thing i couldn't find (not that i tried ) is to find dot timers and how to track multiple dots on multiple targets.

And one question, i don't understand why would i need omen? I can't remember last time I've been able to overaggro a tank in a raid or hc.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificate
    1. Does my UI feed me detailed DoT information on multiple targets so I know exactly when to recast my DoTs?
    every serious dps class needs this. heck, every class needs this. However, if you configure it correctly, even blizzard standard ui provides all the information. Addons just make them better readable.

2. Does my UI promote my main eye focus to be close to my character so I can see when I need to move out of fire etc?
    every serious raider needs that. However, Blizzard standard UI doesn't provide that, since the player and target frames and possible buffs/debuffs are top left.

3. Can I see what my raid is doing via raid frames at a glance? This includes knowing where people are, what buffs or debuffs they may have, being able to dispel anything nasty instantly etc.
    oh, again, everyone needs that. Blizzard default UI provides most of it. Using LESS addons clumping your screen makes it better to see where people are. The debuff-thing is something the default Raid UI does actually provide, but it's very, very small and so not that very good.

4. Do I know where I stand in the threat list. Can I see who is top 5 in the threat list.
    You don't need to know where exactly you stand. You don't need to know the top 5. you just need to know that you're below 110% (meleerange) or 130% (casterrange). and THAT can be provided per default.

5. Do I know when timed raid events are about to happen eg. Mistress Portal for Jarraxus so I know to switch to the Portal and DPS it immediately?
    Now you don't. You just need to know what is basically happening. You need to know if it's timed and then you can use the built-in timer. Reacting is no matter of "do I have some bars running down". It's a matter of taking care of the fight and don't beat your meat while infight ... However, bossmods do make it VERY comfortable, no discussion, but you don't NEED them, if you aren't a full retard. Doing ragnaros or vaelastrasz without bossmods was actually way more fun than acting like a robot according to bossmods nowadays...

6. Can I evaluate healer's mana and preemptively use Hymn of Hope if they need a hand?
    Default raidframe and some usage of Brain 4.0.7 Beta.

In the end we come to the point, that - basically - you could need some debuff/buff thing to make it all more visible. Then some playerframe thing doesn't hurt (at least something to move them to somewhere in the middle). You need some bossmods (because runnig 12 timed clocks is no fun anymore and bossmods make it very nicely readable). and maybe you could take some raidframes, because the amount and way of information provided by blizzard is not very comfortable again.

anything else is just cosmetic and lazyness. trust me.
    and hey, it's no shadowpriest-exclusive thing at all.

cheers,
    xeb

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria
    every serious dps class needs this. heck, every class needs this. However, if you configure it correctly, even blizzard standard ui provides all the information. Addons just make them better readable.

every serious raider needs that. However, Blizzard standard UI doesn't provide that, since the player and target frames and possible buffs/debuffs are top left.
    Rest I agree with but the default UI does not (afaik) show dot timers for multiple mobs at the same time. I have gotten used to just 'knowing' how long my dots are and so I'm lazy and haven't updated dot timers for months (faceroll content is faceroll). If there is a way to get it to show all your dots please tell me.

As for the second point, you do realise you can just drag the groups out from the raid interface and then you can move said groups all around the screen right?
    'u get constant hit by ice shit from roof so you can travel instantly all across the room'

I have been using Xperl for a few years now and love it. It shows me who is casting what at a glance and allows for me to make my own dots on the target mob as big as I want with a nice timer on top of them. The only screenshot I have unfortunately is from BC days when I was main spec heals:

I have not looked into a setup to tell me my dot timers on multiple targets, but that is not too big of an issue IMO, at least not for my game play style.
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

15+ Year Old Account

you need a UI for dps?

Clearly mine :-)

[img width=550]http://clausjoergensen.dk/media/files/WoWScrnShot_111009_185952.jpg[/img]

Yes, very detailed. Forte Xorcist is the best addon ever.

Yes, I designed it with minimalistic thoughts in mind. it can show lots of fire as well.

My screenshot don't show my raid frames, but they're located above my target frame, which is useful for assisting with right-click dispelling (bound to Grid though Clique). Extremely handy for Faction Champions.

Yep, located below my player frame.

Yep, Big Wigs at a spot I find good for me. Easy to configure though.

No, and the spell isn't worth using. Use Divine Hymn instead, at a time where it makes sense, and you know your healers are busy.

Keyboard Turner
    15+ Year Old Account

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Oh that's sexy, Mongow. Gonna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryr
    you need a UI for dps?
    Anything that can help, eh?

Simply the one you enjoy the most. And that let you see fire.

Gearscore: A new way to see who fail at their class. 'Cause itemization is too hard... You need d/n-umbers.

Quote Originally Posted by klurejr
    I have been using Xperl for a few years now and love it. It shows me who is casting what at a glance and allows for me to make my own dots on the target mob as big as I want with a nice timer on top of them. The only screenshot I have unfortunately is from BC days when I was main spec heals:
    I have not looked into a setup to tell me my dot timers on multiple targets, but that is not too big of an issue IMO, at least not for my game play style.
    default xperl KILL IT WITH FIRE
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

This is what i use these days just a mixed mash of mods i like that are lightweight.

Shadowed Unit frames is amazing in comparison to other unit frame mods. I did use xperl for years.
    ricominimap
    bartender
    elkano buff bars
    quartz

those are the big five for the "look" of the UI

the rest are just raid mods like
    recount
    grid
    omen
    MFClip
    DBM

and of course Quest Helper for alt fun , which I am just too lazy to turn off for raiding.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Deleted

Dont need a special UI as an SP, i do perfectly without addons to play the game for me, baring DBM and omen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Clearly mine :-)
    I really like how clean yours is, is that all one addon or a few put together?
    "There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil."
    -John Galt

Bartender4
    XPerl
    DoT Timer
    Carbonaite
    Quartz
    Titan Panel

And what you can't see is
    Healbot
    DBM

I don't believe in Omen. If a tank knows what he is doing, you should never pull threat as a Spriest. And yes, I do a lot of DPS. And even in case I do, Xperl gives me a warning.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I don't play with raid frames at all.

I would like to find a simpler chat add on