Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Destro > Affliction still on 3.3 PTR

I heard all this hype about affliction in 3.3 but after running some instances on the PTR using both specs, Destruction still royally spanks Affliction. Affliction is better, but still nowhere near as good as destruction.

I'm using the standard affliction raiding build with the felhunter (seeing as how he as had the most improvements). Is everyone else seeing the same thing?

Re: Destro > Affliction still on 3.3 PTR

Quote Originally Posted by Granpa
    after running some instances
    I think there's your problem. Try killing a raidboss perhaps ???

15+ Year Old Account

affliction indeed need a raidboss considering its damagefrenzy is with the drain soul.
    dont expect afflicion to be top lockspec in ICC tho, due to fightmechanics
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I lol'd at this the second I read the word "instance"
    Destro crits are such a gamble for aggro sometimes....I find myself always saying, "Big crits no wammies...BIG CRITS NO WAMMIES"

Quote Originally Posted by Granpa
    some instances
    lol *sigh*

I'm really hoping they improved afflic enough to bring it very close to equal with Destro.

I love destro, but a change of pace is always nice. I offspec affliction right now, for fights like Yogg/when I get bored.

For me, fight to fight my destro build does about 1200 more DPS right now than my afflic build. I'm assuming this is near the same for most? (This is a raid setting, full 25m buffs).

I am really looking forward to using the felpuppy, he has really fallen out of use outside PvP.

Also, if anyone has more specific info on the Glyph allowing corruption ticks to be affected by haste please link it! I wanna see what glyph is getting replaced (most likely agony).

Quote Originally Posted by Impurath
    I think there's your problem. Try killing a raidboss perhaps ???
    by instances I meant both raid and heroic dungeons (you know as they are all "instanced"). The results were the same, Affliction does significantly better than on live, but still falls way short of Destruction.

I posted this to see if anyone else is having the same experience on the PTR with Affliction. If someone has, or has experienced difference, please share.

15+ Year Old Account

Everyone on the ptr's will have the same problem because the bosses will die too fast. Affliction requires a 2 minute fight to demonstrate any real damage potential.

Demo has Meta, Immolation aura and decimation burst. Affliction can't compete with that in a 1 minute boss fight.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Destro has Meta, Immolation aura and decimation burst. Affliction can't compete with that in a 1 minute boss fight.
    You mean Demo, dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres
    Also, if anyone has more specific info on the Glyph allowing corruption ticks to be affected by haste please link it! I wanna see what glyph is getting replaced (most likely agony).
    This
    >> http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-wa...ick-decay-ptr/
    might be what you are looking for.
    If not, tell me

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by BartolGdH
    You mean Demo, dear.
    GHERKIN FAIL! /smack
    This
    >> http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-wa...ick-decay-ptr/
    might be what you are looking for.
    If not, tell me
    Replace agony with this.

R.I.P. YARG

The problem with affliction on the PTR is the fact that you can't reapply corruption when you have haste buffs and proccs up if you already have haunt on the target, so you can't benefit to 100% from the new glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Permut
    The problem with affliction on the PTR is the fact that you can't reapply corruption when you have haste buffs and proccs up if you already have haunt on the target, so you can't benefit to 100% from the new glyph.
    Pop haste pot before fight (maybe even ask for a PI on pull), corr haunt-> win? If it works like the wild magic pot for SP's and SW:P, then its a major boost for the rest of the fight (assuming haste is calculated once on application and not changing like SP modifiers).

But anyways, affli suffers from the "switch target burst it down" problem: it just can't burst. One talent could help this tho; give a Sword and Board/Arcane Missile alike talent, on X spell/dot proc you have an Y chance to make your next DS act like the target was under 25% hp, and make it just as quick as proc'd AM. There, you have your burst, which is not related to HP, also spices up affl rotation a bit more than SB spam.

... but hey, I'm not a dev, neither I'm gonna post this on any official forums. I'm not really happy that I still need to play the mindless destro spec, but what can I do. Suck it up, at the best.

15+ Year Old Account

I don't know of a single haste buff that lasts 8 seconds or less. If you are casting Haunt as often as you should be you will always refresh your corruption during a haste buff at least once. If the cards line up right, you could get it refreshed 3 times in 20 seconds.

Refreshing Corruption with Haunt or Drain Life updates its haste value to tick accordingly. You cannot chain Corruption with 60% haste forever.

R.I.P. YARG

Refreshing Corruption with Haunt or Drain Life updates its haste value to tick accordingly. You cannot chain Corruption with 60% haste forever.
    This obviously makes perfect sense but according to testers posting at the EJ Affliction thread it's not true. Your refreshed Corruptions currently retain the haste from the initial cast.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBlade
    This obviously makes perfect sense but according to testers posting at the EJ Affliction thread it's not true. Your refreshed Corruptions currently retain the haste from the initial cast.
    If this makes it to live then I will crap my pants looking for +haste trinkets, gear, and speed potions.

"Hey gm, can we blow heroism BEFORE we pull the boss?"

Yeah... that's it....

R.I.P. YARG

well according to the latest simcraft destro is behind Affliction quite abit

http://code.google.com/p/simulationc...ampleOutputPTR

If this makes it to live then I will crap my pants looking for +haste trinkets, gear, and speed potions.

"Hey gm, can we blow heroism BEFORE we pull the boss?"

Yeah... that's it....
    To clarify things atm ONLY sp is overwritten with current sp when corruption is refreshed via haunt. Both haste AND crit are not refreshed but values from original corruption are taken. From that it follows that u ofc want to cast ur initial corruption with as much haste buffs as possible, i.e. during eradication and with speed pot used, trinket etc. Furthermore this makes engineering a very interesting profession for affli locks. Also I wanted to bring the nevermelting Ice crystal trinket to your attention which intially gives 920 crit and drops in the new heroic 5man. Due to the fact that crit rating also doesnt get refreshed via haunt this trinket means roughly a 20% crit chance increase for corruption and thus simcraft puts this trinket as high as heroic Reign of Dead (check EJ trinket thread for more details). The question remains though, whether this mechanic is working as intended or whether it will get fixed....

Quote Originally Posted by brantar
    Also I wanted to bring the nevermelting Ice crystal trinket to your attention which intially gives 920 crit and drops in the new heroic 5man. Due to the fact that crit rating also doesnt get refreshed via haunt this trinket means roughly a 20% crit chance increase for corruption and thus simcraft puts this trinket as high as heroic Reign of Dead (check EJ trinket thread for more details).
    Please take this with a grain of salt. First, we don't know if the mechanics for the "new" Corruption will really work this way once it goes live. I honestly can't believe that crit and haste rating will not be recalculated on every Haunt - since yes, that would imply that we start with our normal "rotation", and once we get a Eradication proc, we would whisper our discipline priest friend asking for Power Infusion, pop a Potion of Speed, activate all crit and haste trinkets and reapply Corruption. Not very intuitive, if you ask me. And your GM will slap you if you ask for bloodlust 10 seconds in the fight.
    Second, the "value" of Nervermelting Ice Crystal was determined with Simulationcraft in a very short test run. I just replaced Flare of the Heavens with NIC in the T9 BiS profile and let simcraft compare these profiles, resulting in similar overall dps. So your mileage will vary if you don't wear BiS.

We will see next week how the refresh mechanics really work, and then perhaps we can start to farm for a ilevel 232 trinket to replace our 258 Reign of the Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykiel
    well according to the latest simcraft destro is behind Affliction quite abit

http://code.google.com/p/simulationc...ampleOutputPTR
    It's sad that you forgot add affliction build with felpuppy because this build is the strongest build in incomining patch for affliction. Not that old one with fel guard or succy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moox
    - since yes, that would imply that we start with our normal "rotation", and once we get a Eradication proc, we would whisper our discipline priest friend asking for Power Infusion,
    Maybe a bit of topic but in case mechanics do work as we hope it is relevant: I was under the assumption that Power Infusion does NOT stack with other haste buffs like eradication etc... Please correct me if I got that wrong, cause if it does than the buffed corruption would indeed give us a very good reason to request it from the disc priest....