Moonkin mana issues

I am new to druids and new to moonkin. I have been 80 for about 2 weeks now, and my gear is decent (pulling about 4-5k in 10 uld). My main issue is that i seem to Oom a lot. I have had several other moonkin try to help me switch my spec around but it doesn't seem to help and Im losing too much dps for mana talents. It was also suggested that I try the innervate glyph out until my gear gets better but I also seem to be losing a lot of dps (about 500-700 on dummy target). Is it a gear problem or should i just deal with the loss of dps to keep mana up? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, like I said I am new and only been raiding for about 2 weeks now.

Here's my armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...=Heroic+Nights

Thank you in advance for any replies and suggestions

Re: Moonkin mana issues

As far as mana issues, I can't see why you are having them unless you are missing some key buffs in your raid(Blessing of Wisdom, Replenishment, Mana Tide Totem, etc). The glyph of Innervate may be a viable solution, I used it for a short time when we were learning some heroic fights to replace my Insect Swarm glyph so that we'd have the extra miss chance (Insect Swarm is the best choice to replace if you go that route, although I see you have Focus, so replace that one). You may want to lay off the Starfall button and just stick to your normal eclipse rotation. Another tip that might help is when you get to about 70% mana, pop your first innervate on yourself, this way it should be up near the end of the fight also when you are running low on mana. Your gear is good for the level you are at. I'd try and drop some hit for some more crit so that you are getting more mana back. You only need to have a 9% chance to hit.
    Other than those ideas, maybe try some more points in moonglow. I remember a time where I had taken Starfall out of my spec for 10 man heroics because we didn't have a replenishment class. Hope this helps!

If you don't have 2p t9, then do not pick up imp moonfire.

Honestly putting those 2 points into finishing moonglow or 1 in moonglow and finish off intensity should help u while u are gearing up...Use innervate on yourself at the 60-70% of your pool

You complain about mana yet you have 3 talents to help with mana which you havent specced fully, once you gear up mana will never be an issue, crit = mana regen. Spec out of intensity and spec into moonglow & dreamstate fully. You dont need imp moonfire and your glyphs are wrong, get starfire, moonfire and insect swarm.

Put 2 points into Dreamstate instead of Imp. Moonfire and you will be fine

15+ Year Old Account

I think its all about group makeup. You need to have a class doing replenish in a raid or you can have mana issues.

Myself solo on a dummy i have sat pounding on them for 12 minutes and still had 50% mana making sure to use my innervate every 3. Now i know my gear is a bit different but i have no mana regen issues in raids and i have zero talents to help me.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...h&n=Deathsclaw

Look to make sure you have a class doing regen in a raid and you should be just fine.

DPS Boomkin / Feral Tank

Sounds like you may just have to suck it up and move some talents around. Sure you'll lose dps, but it's about the same as being dead, no mana=no dps, as opposed to doing slightly less. Also, I used the Innervate glyph back in Naxx and such, it was godly, wish I had an extra glyph slot to use it it's just so fun to have.
    And mana becomes pretty much a non-issue when your gear gets better, in part due to the Resto pieces you'll probably end up using and random Spirit tossed on your tier. :P

when i run with a pally which i almost always do i dont oom, blessing of wisdom is my best friend and i carry the drums so i dont lose to much if i have to take a wisdom buff over kings, and i havent even spec'd into OOC course im going to have to change that around once i get the new teir set.

and like others have mentioned innervate at 70%

and carry emergency mana pots

and avoid hurricane on mobs of 3 or less it isnt worth it it sucks mana like a hooker with no gag reflex.
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/rchmarkert_2007/Signatures/cpt.jpg

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cpttrips
    when i run with a pally which i almost always do i dont oom, blessing of wisdom is my best friend and i carry the drums so i dont lose to much if i have to take a wisdom buff over kings, and i havent even spec'd into OOC course im going to have to change that around once i get the new teir set.

and like others have mentioned innervate at 70%

and carry emergency mana pots

and avoid hurricane on mobs of 3 or less it isnt worth it it sucks mana like a hooker with no gag reflex.
    i was going to say something very simliar to this. for me in general some points in the resto tree greatly helps out with mana regen. (Clearcasting helps a lot)

definately having emergency mana pots would always be nice and if you are an alchemist you can make yourself the Crazy Alchemist Potion which restores Mana and health. also it gives you an effct fo another random potion which at times is great because you can get the potion of speed effect.

besides that Hurricane is not mana friendly, so as previously said dont use it unless the group is bigger.

One thing that is rarely ever pointed out when a player if have mana issues is the raid DPS. If a raid is doing minimal DPS as a whole, then any spec will have mana problems. If a fight goes on for longer than it should, you'll hit a breaking point where mana becomes an issue no matter how you've specced.

Although my toon severely outgears yours, I've never had a mana problem provided I had 1 out of these 3 buffs; JoW, Replenishment or BoW/Mana spring.

Your biggest source of regen comes from Imp Moonkin. Over an average fight it'll return more than your entire mana pool. +crit/haste buffs, Kings and AI are all factors that improve it. Carry around King drums, you'd be surprised at how helpful they are.

A big thing that I don't see often is to wait for a clearcast before you Rebirth/Hurricane. Both spells cost 2k+ mana, and while you're channeling Hurricane you'll break outside the 5sec to get full mana regen for longer.

PS. I hope you're using Squawkandawe or a similar addon to track Eclipse. You gain/lose a lot of regen through your Lunar Eclipse stage.

There is a reason one of the nicknames for Moonkin is OOMkin

Im afraid you'll have to spec for mana regen. Depending on gear, intensity is the best (unless you have dramatically low spirit, in which case dreamstate might be better), Moonglow is handy as well. The idea basically is: once you are over 22k mana and 30% crit (in your sheet, not counting talents/debuffs on boss), your crit will pretty much keep your mana topped wit only 1 point in moonglow. That, ofc, assuming you have wisdom and replenishment, but tbh a party w/o retardins is not often found (they're freaking everywhere!). Just to give you a little insight, i ended this week jaraxxus 25 at 97% mana, with 1 moonglow/1 intensity (so probably intensity is gonna leave the build). Glyphing Innervate could be a bandaid, as pointed out by several fellow doomchikinz.

Dot like there's no tomorrow.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rellekk
    There is a reason one of the nicknames for Moonkin is OOMkin
    Sure, if you're stuck in Burning Crusade. Based on your signature though, you may be.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

I've personally never went under 80% of my mana as a Boomkin. But I got geared in a matter of 2 weeks in ToC gear so my situation might be very different. For now follow the advices everyones giving you.. But if you have the issue later on. I'll go as far as saying that you aren't following your rotation properly.

Every time you crit, you get clearcasting. When Lunar Eclipse procs you almost crit non stop. I think I'm at 90% crit chance during those 15 seconds. Some boomkins actually hit 100% crit chance. So those 15 seconds your mana pool goes all the way back to full. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm 80% sure that you stay out of the 5 sec rule when clearcasting). It's become to the point where all the healers know I'm the first druid to ask an innervate for (damn ferals wont switch forms) because I never ever use it for myself (not event Vezax).

I have one point in Moonglow, 2 points in Intensity.

So yeah make sure you have the right rotation, you're critting as much as you should be. If that's not the issue. Then gear is your issue.

I did some talent changes the other night,maxed out intensity and kept 2 in moonglow, 1 in dreamstate, grabbed the glyph of innervate and got into a 10 toc. I was doing about 3.8k on the beasts (and i do have squawkandawe), and more on the fights i wasn't moving around a bunch. And happy to say no mana issues whatsoever. I used innervate once after I died, but had a pally and a shaman in the group so I had some replenishment. So thank you guys so much, I think I might be able to switch out the innervate glyph once Im positive the mana issues are over.

I never go oom on my moonkin, maybe in a 10 min + long Faction Champions fight where I have to use my Innervate on others, and Anub 25 HM when Hurricaning all the adds.
    But earlier in WotLK I had Intensity till I got better gear and larger mana pool, it helps. Also remember to use your Innervate early, so you can use it twice or three times.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mewseph
    One thing that is rarely ever pointed out when a player if have mana issues is the raid DPS. If a raid is doing minimal DPS as a whole, then any spec will have mana problems. If a fight goes on for longer than it should, you'll hit a breaking point where mana becomes an issue no matter how you've specced.
    this makes a lot of sense and its true its something that a lot of people dont talk about or think about. if the groups isnt pulling their weight its going to to cause others to have to do more work.

sometimes other people dont understand their class as well or a good spell rotation. gear is great but if someone doesnt research and experiment with their rotations (spell or melee) its going to affect the other class because obviously they arent doing what they are capable of.

Deleted

Interesting fact: I took a look at recount the other day on a random fight, and it seems that 80% of my mana regen comes from critting* and getting mana back in moonkin form. With only one point in moonglow (and, lol, two points in Owlkin Frenzy), i never really drop below 80-90% mana. Upping your crit a bit would probably help your mana regen more than anything else.

* Recount doesn't cover mana "gained" from OoC or mana talents that reduce your cost.