Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Real hard modes for ICC - achievements for using no addons

With all the QQ about people hoping that ICC is not puggable, and that it is a challenge, how about making achievements for having no addons enabled. Pretty easy for Blizzard to implement as they already have the coding to disable certain addons.

I suspect even the uber guilds would find life without addons pretty challenging. Any boss kills could be put down to the skill of the people killing them rather than partly down to the co-ordination tools that a kind 3rd party programmer has given them.

On the other hand, maybe the reduced lag would make things easier... /sarcasm

Re: Real hard modes for ICC - achievements for using no addons

because addons = skill amirite?

10+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't care if they did... only addon I use is recount just for curiosity's sake... I don't need DBM to know when to do crap in a fight as long as I've done it at least once before... :P

Quote Originally Posted by bainies
    With all the QQ about people hoping that ICC is not puggable, and that it is a challenge, how about making achievements for having no addons enabled.
    While they're at it, why not make an achievement for not wearing any gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire
    I wouldn't care if they did... only addon I use is recount just for curiosity's sake... I don't need DBM to know when to do crap in a fight as long as I've done it at least once before... :P
    You must dps.

10+ Year Old Account

Well, addons like dbm tells you what to do. All you need to do after that is to follow the commands. Easy as hell. Try to disable your addons and notice the difference.
    Vol'jin fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by bainies
    With all the QQ about people hoping that ICC is not puggable, and that it is a challenge, how about making achievements for having no addons enabled. Pretty easy for Blizzard to implement as they already have the coding to disable certain addons.

I suspect even the uber guilds would find life without addons pretty challenging. Any boss kills could be put down to the skill of the people killing them rather than partly down to the co-ordination tools that a kind 3rd party programmer has given them.

On the other hand, maybe the reduced lag would make things easier... /sarcasm
    You know how fun heroic anub would be if none of the healers had grid or healbot or dbm to mark penetrating colds. Vent would be insane trying to figure that out every 20 or so seconds. Probably a lot less guilds would have him down. Like almost no guilds.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shawaam
    Well, addons like dbm tells you what to do. All you need to do after that is to follow the commands. Easy as hell. Try to disable your addons and notice the difference.
    I had my dxe disabled accidently because of some memory issues, the only thing that felt a bit uncomfortable was not knowing the timers, but wasn't something I couldn't live without.

And the bosses have something like DBM in them. It's called boss yells/emotes

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk
    You know how fun heroic anub would be if none of the healers had grid or healbot or dbm to mark penetrating colds. Vent would be insane trying to figure that out every 20 or so seconds. Probably a lot less guilds would have him down. Like almost no guilds.
    OMG - you mean heal people who are low health... Did our first heroic runs without mods to show who had it besides dbm. Having it shown just makes the fight mindless as healer (even more than normal).
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    OMG - you mean heal people who are low health... Did our first heroic runs without mods to show who had it besides dbm. Having it shown just makes the fight mindless as healer (even more than normal).
    Heal everyone that is low on life... on anub heroic? I think you should do the fight on 25 man and try to heal everyone on low hp in phase 3 and see how well it goes without unreal dps.

But the standard unit frames show debuffs as well, so it would not be that much harder to figure out who got a debuff.
    Still, raiding without addons can be, depending on your role range from almost no difference, to significantly harder (or at least somewhat).
    Quote Originally Posted by Parynziux
    So, you are clearly the biggest nerf to your class. Hush.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmiles
    because addons = skill amirite?
    They help tremendously. Huge reason in things seeming easier today than in vanilla. They can't completely replace skill of course though.

On topic, Hard Modes are barely puggable as they are, so there's no reason for this. Normal Modes are SUPPOSED to be puggable, so there's no reason to make hard modes harder in this fashion.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

I have DBM activated because it's required by the guild

I have absolutely no need for it as I put in enough research before ever entering an instance- that it's wasted on me.

Other addons are just to make my UI prettier & that has nothing to do with a fight's difficulty.

I swap poisons manually so that I manage my GCD rather than the bads who rely on poison swapper to do it for them.

I know my character well enough to know what buffs are happening when- Envenom/S&D/HFB without a tracking addon.

So I'm going to say no- for some of us addons are un-needed... although it would be amusing to see other people flop around without DBM.
    DND: I can not find my blinding powder.

Standard blizz UI
    Dbm, Omen, recount Ftw ;D
    Be Thankful For Everything For Soon There Will Be Nothing

Can you even fricken imagine trying to get the pallys to give out the right buffs with out pally power. it would be a nightmare and if you only raid 4 hours a night you would never even get the raid buffs straightened out in that time. i mean i have ran some stuff with pallies who dont have pally power...its like fricken kryptonite to them they have no idea how to buff without it, you might as well make them play on the chinese version with no skill icons.

lol =)

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk
    Probably a lot less guilds would have him down. Like almost no guilds.
    I know... it would be hard... like hardmodes?

"Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Not done heroic Anub have you?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Not done heroic Anub have you?

What some people fail to realise is that these raids are tuned taking DBM and such into account - Blizzard probably expects you to be using Omen, DBM and perhaps a few other things for raiding. A good few of their employees play the game themselves, and I'd bet my left nut they all use DBM and realise its role in raiding. They expect you to know when the next Impale will hit, they expect you to know when the boss will fear, they expect you to know when the add will spawn, they expect you to know when the boss will enrage. If addons didn't exist, encounters would be designed very differently - probably with a lot less timed events, as well as less harsh and more predictable ones.

Besides, there's been in-game warnings for some dangerous stuff for a while now. Sartharion's lava walls, for example, had a built-in warning.

Anyway, as for myself, I use DBM mainly so I know when something's going to happen slightly in advance, eg. Icehowl charge in 10 seconds. This isn't to make early preparations for the charge or anything stupid like that, but rather to plan cooldowns etc accordingly - busting cooldowns 3 seconds before his pre-charge knockback would be a bit of a letdown and a big DPS loss.

TL;DR, some people QQ about addons giving an unfair advantage, but because of Blizzard's mindset in developing the game, disabling them is in fact taking a basic tuned-for resource away from yourself.

Of course, if it had an achievement attatched to it, I might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingll
    Standard blizz UI
    Dbm, Omen, recount Ftw ;D
    Ohai der dps. You think your job is hard?

This was in our attempt on ToGC Lord Randomxyz. A pally was assigned to heal the flesh debuff, he was using default UI at the time. I have some left over pumpkin heads from hallowed event that I decided to toss around instead of deleting them, then I heard on vent "!@$!@$ the one dropping that damn pumpkin head on ppl, I cant see flesh debuff!!!111". I was like 0_o.

He switched to grid after that. Or rather forced to, lol.

Heroic raid cant be done without addons, at least as a healer. Even if it s possible, I dont ever want to stress myself unnecessary.