1. #1

    2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Heya.
    Like the topic says ive got 2 questions.
    1. How do u execute the drain soul execute? Should u reapply any dot as soon it falls off and start drain again? drain soul and wait for every dot to fall of and then start over? how do it do it?
    2. I know I should use haste pot, but when? during hero for the new haste scale? during soul draining? when?

    Thank you for answers!
    Life's a Bitch then u die

  2. #2

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    You should look at the talent Soul Siphon its located next to Improved Life Tap in the affliction tree.

    The more dots the more it will tick.

    Also with the new haste scaling, i guess you use quick decay also? i recommend doing haunt as end dot and then do drain soul.
    Since haunt resets your accelerated corruption.

  3. #3

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    so your saying that as soon a dot falls of I should reapply that one dot asap and start drain soul again?
    example: casting all dots, start to drain souls then haunt needs to be reapplyed, I reapply it but CoA have like 5secs left. should I drain soul that 5secs and then reapply CoA?

    Life's a Bitch then u die

  4. #4

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Quote Originally Posted by jokern
    so your saying that as soon a dot falls of I should reapply that one dot asap and start drain soul again?
    example: casting all dots, start to drain souls then haunt needs to be reapplyed, I reapply it but CoA have like 5secs left. should I drain soul that 5secs and then reapply CoA?

    Yes you should.

  5. #5
    Legendary! gherkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    6,003

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Thalia~
    Yes you should.
    Especially Haunt (to maintain Corruption and Shadow Embrace) and UA (with Death's Embrace it's extremely powerful).

    Use Nightfall procs as well to keep the Crit buff alive. Every drain soul cast should last you 1-3 ticks maximum, unless you're making use of a chain of +haste buffs, in which case you could probably get all 5 ticks in.

    R.I.P. YARG

  6. #6

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    okey thank you.
    any answer on my 2nd question?
    Life's a Bitch then u die

  7. #7

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Most other threads I've read have told me to re-apply dots, immediately.
    But I still tend to try to use my best judgement on when to stop drain soul and re-apply dots. Like OP said, if I have 5 seconds left on UA or CoA but need to reapply haunt right away, do you still stop drain soul and then start it? DS probably won't have enough time to even tick after you reapply haunt, before you have to stop again and reapply the next set of DOTs.

    Although, there is no hard set way, I just do it by feel and have no numbers to back myself up, but I generally consider the following.

    - I will re-apply any DOT stand-alone if all other dots have significant time left
    - I wont re-apply a DOT right away, if there is another dot that is really close to being down. My timing will differ, depending on which DOT, since the cast time is different. I try to time it so that i can cast the 2 dot one right after another, if I get lucky, even 3 of them.
    - I will re-apply a dot if I proc shadow trance. So I can SB right after I reapply.
    - Both UA and CoA are lower priority on the refresh list, I may wait slightly longer to re-apply them if I see fit. For instance, CoA is down, but if I wait 3 seconds, then I can re-apply CoA, UA and haunt together, I may wait the 3 seconds. This might not be true for haunt as it is higher priority.
    - While all this is happening, You might also consider when drain soul ticks. if waiting another second can gain you a extra tick, and allow you to time the dots together better, then I'd do it.
    - I also consider when the fight might end... if the target is close to death, I will likely not reapply

    Again, I have no numbers to back it up, but just wanted to share my technique

  8. #8
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    142

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Quote Originally Posted by deftor
    Most other threads I've read have told me to re-apply dots, immediately.
    But I still tend to try to use my best judgement on when to stop drain soul and re-apply dots. Like OP said, if I have 5 seconds left on UA or CoA but need to reapply haunt right away, do you still stop drain soul and then start it? DS probably won't have enough time to even tick after you reapply haunt, before you have to stop again and reapply the next set of DOTs.

    Although, there is no hard set way, I just do it by feel and have no numbers to back myself up, but I generally consider the following.

    - I will re-apply any DOT stand-alone if all other dots have significant time left
    - I wont re-apply a DOT right away, if there is another dot that is really close to being down. My timing will differ, depending on which DOT, since the cast time is different. I try to time it so that i can cast the 2 dot one right after another, if I get lucky, even 3 of them.
    - I will re-apply a dot if I proc shadow trance. So I can SB right after I reapply.
    - Both UA and CoA are lower priority on the refresh list, I may wait slightly longer to re-apply them if I see fit. For instance, CoA is down, but if I wait 3 seconds, then I can re-apply CoA, UA and haunt together, I may wait the 3 seconds. This might not be true for haunt as it is higher priority.
    - While all this is happening, You might also consider when drain soul ticks. if waiting another second can gain you a extra tick, and allow you to time the dots together better, then I'd do it.
    - I also consider when the fight might end... if the target is close to death, I will likely not reapply

    Again, I have no numbers to back it up, but just wanted to share my technique
    Not terrible, but just to clarify.
    Haunt needs to be up the instant it falls, you dont wait 3 or more seconds on this one.
    UA should be put back up ASAP also, but if it lines up with CoA give your drain soul a few more ticks and reapply them together.
    Drain soul should always be clipped right AFTER a tick, if you clip it to reapply something right before a tick it is a severe dps loss.

    As far as haste potions, if the execute phase is important, save it for then for use with full channel DS's between reapps, you really shouldnt use it with BL unless its a huge burn phase, as you will probably hit 1sec GCD and the benefits that synergy gets with SB is not that great.

  9. #9

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Download an addon called EventHorizon. It has made life as a shadow priest exceptionally easy for me. At the same time, testing out on the target dummies, I'm having similar luck with it on my leveling Warlock. It makes visualization of all your dots and debuffs and duration on life tap all extremely easy to track in one compact interface, and helps you judge exactly when to recast dots with a cast time like Vampiric Touch (or for Warlocks, Unstable Affliction and Immolate) to ensure you don't clip a tick. Essentially, try to reduce the space in between the opaque spaces to an extreme minimum, and from there, use your best judgement to maximize efficiency, but it makes judgement and decision making much simpler than staring at a clusterfuck of dot timers and crap.

    I DO have a question though. I'm still leveling my warlock, but I have a question about Haunt. I'm not too sure about coefficient benefits, but from the base numbers of the spells alone, I'd assume Haunt's damage is less than that of Shadow Bolt at 80. That said, should Haunt be recast as soon as it's off cooldown, OR just it so that it lands just before the debuff wears off, if it means you can squeeze out an extra Shadow Bolt?
    HEAVIEST: 361 lbs.
    CURRENT: 257.6 lbs.
    GOAL: Healthy 185 by end of 2014.

  10. #10

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne
    I DO have a question though. I'm still leveling my warlock, but I have a question about Haunt. I'm not too sure about coefficient benefits, but from the base numbers of the spells alone, I'd assume Haunt's damage is less than that of Shadow Bolt at 80. That said, should Haunt be recast as soon as it's off cooldown, OR just it so that it lands just before the debuff wears off, if it means you can squeeze out an extra Shadow Bolt?
    Haunt has a veeeeerrrrryyyyyy long traveling time until the debuff is finally applied, so just reapply it asap.

  11. #11

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    yeah, it is quite tricky to time haunt so that it doesn't clip but refreshes immediately.

    Consider the cast time and your distance away from the boss (because it does have flight time).

    Standing max distance, I will start to cast it ~3 seconds before it wears off.

  12. #12

    Re: 2 questions about affli PVE 3.3

    Quote Originally Posted by deftor
    yeah, it is quite tricky to time haunt so that it doesn't clip but refreshes immediately.

    Consider the cast time and your distance away from the boss (because it does have flight time).

    Standing max distance, I will start to cast it ~3 seconds before it wears off.
    Can you even "clip" Haunt? I mean, it is not a DoT that has to tick to its full duration, is it? (I might have missed that in the patch notes, though)
    (In my experience) It's better to apply Haunt the instant it is off CD (or as quickly as possible). If you wait too long, Shaodw Embrace might fall off, leaving you with one instead of two stacks of it --> weaker DoT ticks.

    Again, since I haven't played Affliction in a while, I might not be aware of recent changes. So, if I say stupid things, feel free to correct me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •