Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted

Re: DK tanking in 3.3?

In answer to the OP:

Both Blood 2h and DW frost are viable and are very well rounded in both single target and multi target tanking situations.

For Blood you should be going with the two handed Axe from Icecrown Citadel 10 man, is provides expertise, two blue sockets and a very healthy amount of stamina. Not to mention that extra ArP as blood can't help but to help your aggro. As an Orc this axe is godly with the 5 expertise buff from wielding axes. Once above defence cap without Stoneskin enchant it's completely up to you what defensive weapon enchant you have.

For Dual Wield you should be going with Quel'Delar in your main hand and Quel'Serrar in your off-hand. The speed and damage of Quel'Delar is insane for threat, coupled with the proc and semi-slow speed of Quel'Serrar, they make a godly pair. Granted, they might not be BiS for Dual Wield tanking but jesus christ they look fucking cool when you dual wield them. As said before, once past def cap without the Stoneskin enchants you caan enchant whatever defensive enchant you want.

For overall gear, you should be gemming 100% +30 stamina and either +10 exp/+15 stam if under expertise cap or +10Dodge|+10Parry/+15 stam if you're above expertise cap to activate your meta gem. Try placing the purple gem in a slot that will net you the most stamina.

You should already know the enchants gear wise.

I've tried both specs and they both work insanely well, though I must add one thing: I've never lost aggro with Dual Wirld tanking and I don't have Quel'Delar yet. I'm using Quel'Serrar MH and Ardent Guard heroic in the OH, which is slightly nerfing my threat. Once I get Quel'Delar? I imagine my threat will be through the roof.

I Tank as DW its realy ncie in heroics and raids too.

I have duelspec as aoe frost and mt blood. Works super well and I love it. Can't wait for the t10 bonus

@ Moka

Thank you for a very well phrased response.

I myself have been wondering about specs and how the newly introduced changes have affected them, but have not had an opportunity to read up on the new info and make a well informed decision. Thanks again.

Moka pritty much covers it perfectly.

as a fellow orc i can say the axe from ICC 10 is sooooo nice

both blood and frost are fine,
    frost being slightly better for heroics
    blood being slightly better for MT'ing high damage raid bosses.

but both can work in both enviroments fine.
    I tank as blood because I've been blood since uludar and i've got attached to the 7k DS heals
    but frost is fun too, be the spec you enjoy most (or have the best gear for)

Woot bout 2h Frost? from what i've seen it still works and the mitigation frost offers is quite nice imo. Now atm i use 2hander for Frost cuz of the extra stamina(same axe from icc 10 u guyz were talking about) and threatwise seems to be very close to dw frost. Anyone else who has tried 2h Frost tanking lately? how does it work for u?

Quote Originally Posted by megathrall
    Woot bout 2h Frost? from what i've seen it still works and the mitigation frost offers is quite nice imo. Now atm i use 2hander for Frost cuz of the extra stamina(same axe from icc 10 u guyz were talking about) and threatwise seems to be very close to dw frost. Anyone else who has tried 2h Frost tanking lately? how does it work for u?
    I have been frost 2h tank on my alt dk since lvl 60, and I'm not in any trouble to tank ICC 10 alt runs. I like frost, the rotation is simble and you get nice CD's on to your rotation allso. Tho I got DW weps allso, but I lack some expertise atm, so haven't even tryed that yet. The main purbose for me being frost tank is aoe tanking, its so much easier in frost than blood

Made by Caiti, love it!

I ran Frost 2H on my DK since Uld (Which is what I made my tank for in the first place, we were short one). And I loved it, up til ToC came around.. I found my single target threat was behind our other tanks Bear/Warrior/Pally. I made the swap to Blood and haven't looked back since. I can put 7.5k-8k tps on average if I keep my rotations right. Granted I am pretty well geared hit/expertise capped and all that jazz. Even as far as being able to safely put swordshattering on my 2h and still have 548 def. Since ICC I have geared more towards parry and am finding myself tanking bosses more and more due to the short survival CD's and healing I can do to myself.

I haven't tried DW as I'm still weary about the whole parry haste issues. Don't want to be taking more damage than I have to. But for heroics I can definitely see how it would be the best. I have trouble with AoE in heroics just cause most DPS don't know how to wait for my pestilence/blood boil and the lack on runes to pull it all off right away.

10+ Year Old Account

As blood you already take more damage as you would as frost. And if you are not using fast weapons, you shouldn't worry about parry haste.