Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Shadow Fiend, a permanent pet in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    any competent team will have tactics how to use the shadow fiend appropriately as well instead of just casting it at your whim and then crying about how it got countered.
    dont comment on pvp when you have ZERO experience. the specifics are talking about arena in terms of shadowfiend being controlled. There are ways to minimize the CC a shadowfiend can receive aka watching the other teams aoe CC abilities but anything direct used on the shadowfiend cannot be avoided and forces the user to babysit the fiend which makes its benefit more counterproductive than helpful.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

back to the point of the thread. perma shadowfiend is idiotic. we are not a pet class and should never be a pet class. We have way to much crap now to have to micro manage a pet which is why having the shadowfiend in general now even part time is a pain in the ass in pvp.

shadowfiend should either be phased out so it cannot get CCd at all , or should have severe reductions to CC timers. somewhere in the range of what Mage armor does. it should never be feasible to kite the thing around via aoe slows and CCs

direct ccs on the fiend or just outright dpsing i could understand. That gives it a counter like innervate being dispellable and such , but having it have zero resistance to any type of CC especially the aoe variety makes the thing the single worst mana return ability for pvp purposes.

cant wait to try and use fiend in Cata in rated BGs when it takes full damage from all player aoe. 2 shot anyone ?
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

10+ Year Old Account

I kinda like the way Shadowfiends works currently. When I'm raiding as Holy it's a nice way to get a decent amount of mana back and add a little dps. When I'm doing the occasional Arena as Discipline I mostly use it to nuke someone down instead of getting mana back, the mana is just a useful bonus to me.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I like the fiend a lot, but I don't think having a permanent pet fits with being a priest.
    It makes sense that you can accumulate some dark energy and create a fiend for a short period for some reason to me.

I would enjoy being able to glyph it to a 30 sec duration though (maybe with the mana regen cut in half, so it would stay the same)

The way they are now works perfectly fine. Now that they fixed the AOE and low health problem. Now the fiend doesn't insta death all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Glyph of Enveloping Shadows:
    Your Shadowfiend spell spawns a second Shadowfiend, but this spell no longer restores mana.

Tada. It can no longer be "lol CC'd" as easily, and it hits harder for the cooldown you blow on it, but of course that is completely dependent on whether or not your mana condition is actually stable. It doesn't need to be permanent.

A glyph choice that's definitely going out there to "choose" and makes it worth it if you do, but worth it if you don't. I love it.
    A much better solution than another perma pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputine
    Second, the Draenei used a dimensional ship powered by the holy snowflakes, which utilizes a plot-hole drive engine.

Usually it's being CC'd by AoE effects, so I don't see how that would solve any problem.

Frost nova
    Intimidating Shout
    Psychic Scream
    Howl of Terror
    Frost Armor
    Cone of Cold
    Piercing Howl
    Fan of Knives (crippling)
    Typhoon

to mention a few

Saying that a good priest uses his shadowfiend when the other team can't control it is just so wrong. Anything controles a shadowfiend. May it be a frostnova, a cone of cold, a shiv(crippling poison) a cyclone, a fear, a hamstring, a chains of ice.

Against a good team you WILL have to either use your pet during a extremely offensive time, using it when the other team is under so much pressure they can't bother CC;ing your pet. Otherwise you will have to spam-dispel it and maybe not even gaining more mana than your loosing from dispelling it. When I play arena I find shadowfiend being effective against pretty much all teams in terms of dealing damage when used at the right time, but in terms of one v one combat or even battlegrounds it wont give you that much mana.

Change the minor glyph so that if your shadowfiend doesn't give you let's say 10% mana over it's duration, it grants you with 5% when it dissapears.

Also please make shadowfiend as fast & op as shaman wolfs^^
    Watch my NEW SPRIEST/MAGE 2700 rated arena movie s8
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=164387
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Watch my first Priest/Mage 2500rated arena movie s7
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=137765
    - Lightdoom

hey a little off topic but was wondering if any1 knows the swing timer of yee old shadowfiend and if it benifits from haste, my guess wud be it dose benifit from haste but was wonderin if any1 had "more than a guess" to these 2 questions

Well we're on the subject...

Priests should get a FI buff too! You know, like if MF crits, a 3% damage boost to the raid.
    And a way to "spread" thier DoT's, like a DK. That way you can toss em all on one target, and then they would be on all targets.

That way there wouldn't be anything all that distinct about spriests...

They have and evocate ability, a mortal strike, a replenishment, multiple fear-like mechanics, strong single target, strong aoe...

In fact, lets give em plate too, so they can tank.

and then lets ask blizz to take away all stats except for stam, int, and str.

Then this game would be really fun, amirite?

Glyph of Enveloping Shadows:
    Your Shadowfiend spell spawns a second Shadowfiend, but this spell no longer restores mana.

Tada. It can no longer be "lol CC'd" as easily, and it hits harder for the cooldown you blow on it, but of course that is completely dependent on whether or not your mana condition is actually stable. It doesn't need to be permanent.

A glyph choice that's definitely going out there to "choose" and makes it worth it if you do, but worth it if you don't. I love it.
    <3
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

I like the idea, but only give it to shadow priests as a talent. They need buffs both in PvP and PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by jonish
    shadowfiend was a bad idea to begin with. Any competent arena team will negate the thing 100% of the time and in a large BG environment it is even more useless with all the random aoe and aoe CC effects people have.
    That's the thing though. In the beginning, shadowfiend wasn't a bad idea because it couldn't be negated. It had too much resistance. Try and cast something on it ? Resist. Resist. Resist. Oh, it's duration is over.

I see why they swapped the resistances for more damage, but it really should be an either or, however that's just my opinion.

Imo.
    They should just make dispersion baseline, and make shadowfiend talented..

You know you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireheart
    Saying that a good priest uses his shadowfiend when the other team can't control it is just so wrong. Anything controles a shadowfiend. May it be a frostnova, a cone of cold, a shiv(crippling poison) a cyclone, a fear, a hamstring, a chains of ice.

Against a good team you WILL have to either use your pet during a extremely offensive time, using it when the other team is under so much pressure they can't bother CC;ing your pet. Otherwise you will have to spam-dispel it and maybe not even gaining more mana than your loosing from dispelling it. When I play arena I find shadowfiend being effective against pretty much all teams in terms of dealing damage when used at the right time, but in terms of one v one combat or even battlegrounds it wont give you that much mana.

Change the minor glyph so that if your shadowfiend doesn't give you let's say 10% mana over it's duration, it grants you with 5% when it dissapears.

Also please make shadowfiend as fast & op as shaman wolfs^^
    Paladins can't control a shadow fiend, unless we want to blow a one minute (45 second talented) cooldown on it that usually is our only hope of landing a kill in PvP.

And guess what, we're considered OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotagnon
    As a shadow priest as my main spec and holy or disc as my off... I like the system the way it is. I don't really NEED the shadow fiend as shadow because I have dispersion. However when I need a little more, say for heroism or heart phase of deconstructor, I release the fiend. I know it doesn't do a lot, but it does do some and since my rotation can't change on a phase like that, it helps. (No mirror image, combustion, elemental mastery or anything of the like) I like having SOMETHING that I can do to help.. even if it's not much.

When I don't have dispersion (holy or disc) the fiend is all I have for mana regen other than my spirit. And I like to know WHEN to get more mana. (So no "every five minutes" idea.)

I wouldn't even spec or glyph into my fiend being permanent. Not even in shadow. It has it's place where it is. And I love it. Perhaps a glyph giving him a small dps boost. That would be it. No major changes to make it like an elemental. I don't even like the elemental glyph for my mage. He's kind of dumb and less dumb in game is better. (They need to fix his targeting like they have for hunter pets. They don't continue to hit things if they are CCed.)

And the comment about "WTB less "Oh x class gets something so lets give it to my class to" " Let me point out that the original poster listed their priest second to last in their 6 classes they listed. Priest would be my first. And I don't want my pet changed, as with most of the other priests that replied.
    Well sir you are playing your class wrong. As a shadowpriest you should use your shadow fiend on CD or atleast almost on CD. Dispersion is a 6 sec silence which means you have to stop dps for 6 sec. Your fiend not only gives you atleast 25% mana back but it also gives a dps boost of minimum 1000 for 15 sec. I dont know though, maybe you need those 6 sec to do something els but that is not the right way to get your dps up or get mana back in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrath
    Well we're on the subject...

Priests should get a FI buff too! You know, like if MF crits, a 3% damage boost to the raid.
    And a way to "spread" thier DoT's, like a DK. That way you can toss em all on one target, and then they would be on all targets.

That way there wouldn't be anything all that distinct about spriests...

They have and evocate ability, a mortal strike, a replenishment, multiple fear-like mechanics, strong single target, strong aoe...

In fact, lets give em plate too, so they can tank.

and then lets ask blizz to take away all stats except for stam, int, and str.

Then this game would be really fun, amirite?
    When you are trying to be clever, it helps if you keep it short. That way people don't get bored with you writing about how awesome and funny you are.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground
    I am unsure if this has been talked about before, haven't seen it in my travels as a topic, but I foresee this becoming something in the future, whether glyphed and or talented. A permanent Shadow Fiend could be very helpful in both PVE and PVP, Of course it wont do retarded dps, its mainly a distraction in PVP (which is a good thing for shadow a lot of the time) and a slight dps increase in PVE, And it will have its own ability you can use every 3-5 mins for mana just like it is now. with maybe a slowing effect . I wouldn't be suprised if they did this in Cat.

No QQ about us being another warlock/dk, becasue if you played both you know the distinct differences between the 2.
    no
    Pre-nerf Battlemaster

If you see me, run away, or it will be the last thing you'll ever see.

Every class should have a pet. Warriors and Paladins should have squires, Shaman should have permanent Elementals/Spirit Wolves, Treants should just follow Druids around, and a Rogue might as well get a Shadow Avatar or clone that basically tagteams like their partner.

Afterall Frost mages had their 60 second pet turned permanent, why can't Shadow do it to a 15 second?

How about, leave the pet classes (or spec) to their respective classes. I'd rather have a cooldown than be given a permapet which lowers my dps to be balanced around.
    End of thread.

this would of been a good idea in 3.2 but now it's just copying frost mages, and i doubt blizz would give 2 ("non-pet") classes near identical glyphs for pets. It would of been a nice glyph to give more options but we dont really need the extra DPS as much now.

A good glyph for fiend to give us some more glyph options would be a smaller buff but with a downside. something like "your shadowfiend no longer restores mana but increases your spellpower by (10%? 20%?, 300sp?) for it's duration"