Question about Sunder and Devastate

Couple questions i hope will be simple:

1. If my target has 5 stacks of sunder on it and I use Devastate again does it apply the threat from the sunder it would have caused? or just from the damage?

2. Glyph of Devastate allows 2 stacks of sunder to be applied with every Devastate. Does this mean it applies double threat?

Re: Question about Sunder and Devastate

1. yes, it still causes threat

2. no
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell

2. no
    Exactly
    Goliat - Human Warrior - LA, Ragnaros
    <Freak Out>
    ...In the end no boss is hard if you practice (read: wipe&learn)

Keep in mind that Glyph of Devastate however does increase your threat on Devastates by about 20% as it doubles the threat modifier to 10% of your AP...if I'm remembering correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

All the major threads I read are that Glyphs of Vigilence and Devastate are the 2 biggest threat glyphs.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Quote Originally Posted by Battousai
    Keep in mind that Glyph of Devastate however does increase your threat on Devastates by about 20% as it doubles the threat modifier to 10% of your AP...if I'm remembering correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

All the major threads I read are that Glyphs of Vigilence and Devastate are the 2 biggest threat glyphs.
    you will get faster threat, due to the faster decreased armor reduction and increased dmg from devastate if you can stack them faster.
    but thats only for the duration of 2 devastates or smt

glyph of devastate + glyph of sunder armor are the best, imo.

Each time you use devastate, you put two sunders on the main target PLUS you get agro from a target nearby that also gets one sunder armor.

my glyph preferance are those two along with glyph of revenge. you get tons of agro if you use heroic strike always after revenge.

you will get faster threat, due to the faster decreased armor reduction and increased dmg from devastate if you can stack them faster.
    but thats only for the duration of 2 devastates or smt
    I remember reading on EJs that threat was increased on each devastate...regardless of how many sunders were on the target.

I'll see if I can dig it up.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

I haven't been on my warr since he hit 72. We needed other toons for our raiding so i left him behind. I always thought devastate didn't produce any threat like sunder except for the threat from the damage?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

1 yes
    2 not double the threat but the 5% of ur AP as threat is doubled.

2. no
    right here.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman
    1 yes
    2 not double the threat but the 5% of ur AP as threat is doubled.
    Yea, found it...

"Devastate is made up of two threat components as of patch 3.2, and no longer scales based on the numbers of sunders on your target. The threat is a percentage of your damage, and a flat threat component. Because of the change to Devastate, there was also an undocumented change to Glyph of Devastate, which was not updated in the item description.

Glyph of Devastate increases the percentage of damage that is translated into threat (IIRC, it's an additional 10%), and doubles the flat threat component. This comes out to around 500 more threat per Devastate (I think in my gear, it was like, 497 Threat). This means it does more threat than shockwave, concussion blow. "

I would say the glyph is worth it...if you're concerned with threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero-

Each time you use devastate, you put two sunders on the main target PLUS you get agro from a target nearby that also gets one sunder armor.

my glyph preferance are those two along with glyph of revenge. you get tons of agro if you use heroic strike always after revenge.
    While I don't disagree that the two glyphs go very well with each other, glyph of blocking is a staple glyph for tanking and should be your #1 glyph no matter what. It's your biggest threat increasing glyph hands down.

Not really biggest threat gen glyph anymore, just it's the biggest threat gen glyph that ALSO provides some mitigation. Devastate is the strongest threat gen glyph. Besides, warriors need the Shield Wall glyph badly, and I'm an advocate of the Last Stand glyph myself, because lower CDs save raids from oh-sh!t moments in ICC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero-

those arent bad glyphs.

Glyph of Cleave is immense when it comes to AoE tanking compared to glyph of sunder armor

A couple things to understand.

Devastate applies threat in 2 ways.

Its damage is threat
    The sunder it applies is threat.

Glyph of devastate gets double the sunder threat as mentioned 5% of AP so effectively when you devastate you get devastate damage + 5% of AP + 5% of AP.

If you glyph sunder and devastate you will get the above, and threat of 5% of your AP on a secondary target. (which really isn't that much, and one could easily argue glyph of cleave to be better for AOE tanking)

That being said, if you are say solo tanking twins in ToC, glyph of sunder is very valuable, or if you are tanking anub's adds and you want to try to help keep up sunder on anub.