15+ Year Old Account

Disc Priest in Shadow Gear...again?

Helm, Chest and Shoulders look rather appealing as a Disc Priest from the Shadow set. Then the Legs and Gloves from the "Holy" set. Spirit is an annoying stat and Paladin itemization is <3. (Or [Gloves of False Gestures] etc)

Or am I crazy for wanting this? The (4) bonus is not in-line with my healing style in a 25 man and would only prove useful for 10 mans, but I don't think it's needed (well, ofcourse it's not needed but you get what I mean).

Re: Disc Priest in Shadow Gear...again!

First off, unless there is no way you can raid ICC, using the dps tier set for healing is redundant since there will no doubtedly be better itemized pieces in ICC. Now onto the counter argument...

The healing set favors disc more than holy, so I've got no idea where you come up with the idea of the set being a "holy" set.

Set bonuses are not supposed to change playstyle dramatically but to help improve performance. 4pc t10 does exactly that. Resetting the CD of key abilities makes gives you the ability to pump out more powerful heals, increasing your effectiveness.

If you're disc, you should go for 4pc t10 no matter what. No matter what, a disc priest uses(or should be using) Penance on CD since it is our most powerful heal while also being cheap. FH is also another core ability for Disc priest.

When tank healing, Penance is ideally used every CD but because of GCD and haste, we can say Penance is used about every 9s. Depending on the how the set actually procs from, Penance either has a 20% or a 60% chance to proc the set bonus. Based on the wording, I am guessing it will be 20%. Theoretically, you should get the proc every 45 seconds, counting for GCD and cast time of Penance, you'll get 1 extra Penance about every 50 seconds.

Now if Penance has a 60% chance to proc it, the time between extra Penances will be lowered down to about 22 seconds.

Now this will change with raid healing but you're still going to use Penance and FH often enough to make the calculations still revelant.

If it looks appealing to you there is somthing wrong with your vision and you might wanna get that checked.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    The healing set favors disc more than holy, so I've got no idea where you come up with the idea of the set being a "holy" set.
    It's what AtlastLootFU refers to it as, I find it funny and why I gave it the "'s.

And why can't upgraded pieces of T9 be as good as boss drops?

For the playstyle bit, I dislike tank healing and try to stay away from it, I prefer bubbling the raid and using hasted PoH's. I use Penance on the tank ofcourse among other things, but I feel wasted doing a job that a Paladin could do much better at than myself.

And @ TwistedPower, did you even check the itemization on the items before posting?

Re: Disc Priest in Shadow Gear...again?

The shadow set traded spirit for more haste/crit. Crit is nice, but haste is mostly "wasted" if you only bubble the raid. PoH isnt the strong spell to a disc priest - sure we can cast it, but its only in situation we HAVE to aoe heal, since we have no talent +healing and -mana cost. So whats the point to sacrify the healing set bonus? :\

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas
    Crit is nice, but haste is mostly "wasted" if you only bubble the raid.
    Huh? If you're only bubbling the raid, Crit is next to useless too, since only the glyph portion of PWS can crit, and sure Haste beyond the BT soft-cap is wasted. Besides, if all you're doing is bubbling the raid, you're not making the most of your abilities. There will be times when you won't have the BT buff, and there will be times when you cast abilities that aren't instant or at the GCD, like Penance and PoH. And the 4-pc bonus looks pretty decent for Discipline because it will potentially give you quite a bit more throughput on a tank, and provide some nice burst for raid healing as well.

Further, you only need 4 pieces for the 4-pc bonus, so even though there's 2 Haste pieces, you only need one of them to get that bonus. As such, I might recommend getting the 3 Crit/Spirit Pieces and picking something else for one of the Haste slots. For instance, I think getting the crafted Crit/Haste pants over the set Haste/Spirit set pants would be a good alternative.

15+ Year Old Account

Actually, my problem is that there are only two Haste pieces, so rather than getting 3 Crit and 1 Haste, my issue is only being able to get 2 Haste and then have to get 2 Crit all of which has about 370-420 wasted item points of Spirit on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    Actually, my problem is that there are only two Haste pieces, so rather than getting 3 Crit and 1 Haste, my issue is only being able to get 2 Haste and then have to get 2 Crit all of which has about 370-420 wasted item points of Spirit on.
    This just in: Discipline still has Meditation. Full story at 6.

If you are using a single regen trinket/enchant/embroidery/gem (yes, Intellect counts here), that spirit may be "sub par" but it lets you drop those completely and pick up either more haste, more crit, or more just solid raw Spell Power. Spirit's not "wasted", it's just deemed not a stat you go out of your way for.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

I'm using the 128 Int trinket and 84 Int trinket for "long fights" and a Spell Power trinket instead of the 84 for through put. When Solace finally drops on 25 or GC25, then I will get both or 128/GCSolace.

I am a tailor, so I have the 400 (600) mana return cloak. This just in, Discipline still has Mental Stength, a bit of Int stacking and Replenishment/Hymm of Hope/Shadowfiend (And Arcane Torrent <3). If I had mana issues as Disc, I would adjust to it (see first paragraph).

Looking at 4pc Healing, I wouldn't be surprised to see disc priest wearing 3pc shadow 2pc holy.

With ever increasing mana pools, Disc priests can afford to go for gear that has no direct regen on it.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Barthilas&n=Strykie

15+ Year Old Account

Most people will probably end up using 4 piece healing set (helm, chest, shoulders, gloves) and taking either the Shadow tier legs, Festergut 10man legs or the crafted ones(there are crafted legs right?). Between those three choices the stat dfferences arent different and they're all itemised directly for what we want. Plus looking at most of the cloth off-tier pieces on the loot table, 3/4 of them have spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos-
    Most people will probably end up using 4 piece healing set (helm, chest, shoulders, gloves) and taking either the Shadow tier legs, Festergut 10man legs or the crafted ones(there are crafted legs right?). Between those three choices the stat dfferences arent different and they're all itemised directly for what we want. Plus looking at most of the cloth off-tier pieces on the loot table, 3/4 of them have spirit.
    Yea, there are

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    For the playstyle bit, I dislike tank healing and try to stay away from it, I prefer bubbling the raid and using hasted PoH's. I use Penance on the tank ofcourse among other things, but I feel wasted doing a job that a Paladin could do much better at than myself.
    So Shamans Druids and Holy priest can raid heal much better than you so your just a wait all around arnt you? You should tell your RL to take you out of circulation because everyone is better than you. Disc is a tank healer when the tank isnt taking damage Bubble the raid when he takes damage go back to tank.
    Don't look at me like that! Your Imp stood in the fire!

15+ Year Old Account

Edit: Forget my response, I've just seen your posts elsewhere and you are nothing but a useless troll who clearly doesn't understand mechanics and roles.

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    THERE! ^
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

I'll certainly be picking up 4T10 as disc, but I must admit that trinkets are a different matter. Muradin's spyglass looks sooo damn nice compared to Arathor. It wouldn't be hard to keep it up on 90% of fights, holy fire at the start and a Dot every 30 seconds.

Sadly I don't think the dps are going to view it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Frÿr
    Disc is a tank healer
    No not really. Not since they nerfed penance. Now we're burst/mitigation healers. Druids have better sustained tank hps than us, particularly now in 3.3 - never mind pallies.