Thread: New to DK

New to DK

Hey guys, i am close to getting my DK to 80, I don't have much of an idea about what i am to do with the class, I also haven't decided on dps or tank looking at both, i have a well geared main that i can use to get alot of stuff too, any tips for how to gear, what to look for, ect, Thanks in advance for the answers

Re: New to DK

If its your first 80, go dps at first, learn the instances/raid.

-Blood dps was good for me at start, though usually you need some decent gear for it (ArP, good attack power).
    -Unholy dps can be the best, though I just switched lately, I dont know how it is while ungeared.
    -Frost dps is fun and strong, but require alot of gear.

Then you can try tanking, harder but you can get instances really easy (just make sure you're def capped).

-Blood is great for bosses, but you'll work more for AoE (might not be good until you do raids and such, with an OT, or have gear to keep aggro even in AoE).
    -Frost tank is the best way to tank while gearing up, since it performs in both AoE and single target (Ofc you'll want to be 2 hander and not dual wielding at first).
    -Unholy tank doesnt exist. or arent worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixstorm
    I also find that I get some kind of bugged error message when I don't get out of something fast enough. "You can't do that while dead"

Thanks, I've got a well geared main, anything i can use that for to help?

Well, shoulder enchants, mostly, and you can go tanking earlier, if you know the fights already (its harder for a new guy to learn tanking and the fights at the same times, and people can be merciless to new tanks, since its a crucial role... tank fail and its a pain, dps fail and die).

While dps can be funnier... I began to love tanking since it get groups easily, you go at your own pace and dont care about making too much threat... and if there is an idiot... you can manage his repair bill =P
    I also find that I get some kind of bugged error message when I don't get out of something fast enough. "You can't do that while dead"

What do i want to look at stat/spec wise?

Well, for DPS

-Blood: Strength ArP and Crit( strength due to the talents boosting your str by a % and ArP because you hit almost only with physical attacks).
    -Frost: Strength Hit and Crit (strength will be a all rounder, since it'll boost all specs nicely and hit because you dual wield).
    -Unholy: Strength and Crit (simply put, your strikes are magical dmg so ArP serves mostly at a little boost for ScS, and you get some nice talents based on your crit chance, and Strength is shared by your ghoul so even more DPS)

For tanking its more linear, you need to cap your def at 540, then you aim for stamina (gem stam unless the socket bonus is really worthwhile)
    Prefer dodge over parry, it seems easier to stack (not 100% sure about it though)
    If you go Frost dual wield, alot of hit and expertise will be needed. for 2 hander, its easier to reach.
    Lastly, I've found that a weapon with Agi and stam will give you more avoidance than strength stam (strength via Forceful Deflection)

For dps and tank will i need to hit and expertise cap?

For dps, hit cap mostly, and try to sneak up bosses from behind (he cant parry there, so expertise get less use) as for tanking, as long as you dont dual wield, having some hit and expertise is good, though I never actually tried to get some (im sitting at 107 hit and 117 exp and I do fine, been up to ToC 25 though).

If you go frost DW hit and exp will take a bigger part of your gear, you'd even want a hit trinket if you dps.