Holy priest mana problems?

Today I was running 10 man ICC on my resto druid healing with a holy priest and resto shaman. On Saurfang the shaman went ele and the priest and I 2 healed the fight. My question is if holy priests in general are having mana issues in current content frequently or if this is more an issue of the particular person's healing/playing style. We were both pretty similarly geared (~5000gs for w/e that's worth) but by the time the frenzy came the priest was nearly OOM. So next attempt I told him to save his mana CD's and I'd innervate him off the bat when he reached 50% mana. Then he used his mana CDs and was at about 50% again by the time frenzy hit, and shortly after my innervate was up so I used it again on him. By the end of the fight there was only one mark up so dps was pretty decent and even after the spam fest of 30-0% and mark healing I finished the fight at about 35% mana (used one alchemist's pot) and he was nearly dry (with TWO innervates plus his own CDs).

So are you holy priests noticing that there's a class based problem with mana regen/efficiency relative to other healers or is this most likely an issue of the individual player not healing efficiently or wisely. It still seems hard to see even if he wasn't the best healer how I could end the fight doing fine on mana (almost 40%) and he's nearly dry. I didn't have a single mana CD (just replenishment and pot) and he potted, used shadowfiend, the other priest thingie, and two innervates.

Re: Holy priest mana problems?

Link his armoury, I want to see a priest gemmed for strength.
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

10+ Year Old Account

hmm im not sure but something i did notice the other day when i was playing my little brothers shadow priest and i dual specced holy to heal an instance, it was that i was constantly going oom. now he is only lv 71 but i remember when i was around that lv with my druid lving through northrend i never and i mean i never ever went oom while healing an instance.

here is the priests armory btw incase im doing anything wrong.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Laoscuridad
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Armory link

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...g&gn=Sacrilege

Spec, gear, enchants, and gems seem fine...
    It may be because I rock two insanely imba mp5 trinkets, Spark of Hope and Ephemeral Snowflake

15+ Year Old Account

His gear seems fine, so he most likely either has a very agressive healing style or just didnt manage his cooldowns. (i learned quickly that using shadowfiend when the beasts come out is bad, it shifts aggro through them all and just runs in circles doing its own thing <_<)

That being said holy does get punished more than other healers in 10 mans if youre missing buffs.

Low level holypriests WILL run OOM. It's that easy. When you are a freshly dinged lvl 80 holypriest, you will have a horrible time healing because you hardly have any regen on your gear beyond spirit, and spirit sucks bigtime since the spirit coefficient is horrible at lvl 80. My regen at lvl 70 in green gear was better than my regen at lvl 80 in sunwell gear.

Gear for int (long term), the situation will become better through gear. Until it does, the simple and easy solution is to say "screw you" to the holyspec, and instead go discipline - you will heal better and you won't have notable mana issues. Or, endure the pain and make sure that you are grouping with innervating druids. You will need him.

Once your holypriest get better gear this situation improves drastically though. At T9 gearlevels, you should not run oom as holy unless you are actively trying. Stack intellect, it is the best stat for regen. Make sure to use your cooldowns; your shadowfiend is meant to be used. Try to use it together with bloodlust or hymn of hope to get a maximum benefit from it. Also, manapots are still very useful.

But no matter how good your regen is, a holypriest can easily consume 3000 MP5. That is not possible to cover through regen alone. A holypriest spamming Prayer of Healing will run OOM very fast, but you shouldn't have to do that. A holypriest will have to know when to hold back, and matching the proper heal to the situation. Spamming PoH is as such, wrong.

Looking at the armory link, Sacrilege has some U10 and naxx gear still. This should be replaced, do some heroics and get enough badges to do that. But it's not really a major problem. His gear looks fine to me. The lack of any decent regen trinket is however hurting. Talisman of Resurgence kinda qualifies, but... opting to go without a regen trinket means the priest will have to manage mana much more precisely. It's absolutely possible, and ultimately depends on playstyle. But if you run OOM like the OP claims, then I'd say the priest in question failed at that.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

First off, he is not geared for ICC. he has way to many 213 items.

Everything below is just small things but a add up very fast to sub par.
    His haste is..ugh. But that might actually help in the war against oom
    Is he tank healing or raid healing? If he is raid healing he is missing 2 VARY important talents for doing so(Holy Reach) and (Healing Prayers).
    Glyph of Power Word: Shield is a waist.
    get rid of the 7mp5 chest enchant please.
    A lot of his gear is mp5 instead of spirit which really has no added benefit whereas spirit also gives SP.

other than that his stats don't look that bad really, it seams to be more of a problem in play-style. I would suggest having him work on his prioritization of outgoing heals. He doesn't need to heal everyone, after all he is not the entire healing team. And Holy Priest do have a more of a problem with regen but it is possible to work around it with practice.
    Don't look at me like that! Your Imp stood in the fire!