Poll: What makes a random heroic go smother

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: What makes a great heroic pug

healed a pug yesterday with 3 guildies and a epic bear druid that was tanking in his dps gear to speed the runs up..it was so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by SPF18
    The lair is on the ground in the mountains.

15+ Year Old Account

Awesome tanks make or break the day, anytime.

I'll also say, in my experience, the tanks where you see skill the most are warriors. A truly "OFMG GOOD" warrior is...unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    Awesome tanks make or break the day, anytime.

I'll also say, in my experience, the tanks where you see skill the most are warriors. A truly "OFMG GOOD" warrior is...unbelievable.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Great Warrior tanks can chain pull like no other, they are quite impressive with Charge, Intercept and Intervene and know when to use Shockwave right (especially in those times a great DPS would pull aggro and they know it, so they time it right).

However, Warriors and Druids are not that great oh sh1t tanks. When a healer dies and a boss is still alive, Paladins and DKs have the upper hand with their self healing. Prot Paladins go on forever on some bosses and Blood DK tanks self heal for a lot. When all goes very bad, those two will probably save the day if they are skilled. Druids and Warriors rely a lot more on heals, even if it is just a small amount.

completing any heroic b4 the 15 min random dungeon debuff wears off. also have a soft spot for a war tank, drood heals, arcane mage, enh sham set-up (with my war/dk dps). See some big numbers, generally clear 4/5 packs at a time, can be fun if something goes a little wrong (cause control tends to be maintained/corrected quickly).

and tank that can chat and effectively maintain massive threat is always a blast too lol

I stopped bothering on my main which is a healer.

I always tank on my old main/new alt which is a dk tank.

Much more fun when you can pull an entire party though a heroic with taking hardly any damage with c/ds.

P.S. Totally smashed for chrikstmats ... HEHEH

I clicked tank but after looking through the comments i changed my mind lol.

I play all three roles btw

The tank "sets the speed" in which the heroic is run
    The healer "sets the speed" in which chain pulling can CONTINUE e/g not having to drink etc
    The dps "sets the speed" in which shit dies and the tank can keep pulling

These days it's changed a little bit, even with a bad tank and semi heals if dps is really really good, mobs die so fast that you barely need to heal or tank.

So really while a tank sets the speed and the healer "continues to set the speed" so to speak (incorrect wording there i know, but i can't explain it) e/g healer not going oom, can keep up

So really i think DPS that's good makes a great heroic, shit dies fast, move on, pull more, shit dies more, boss pull, boss dies in 30 seconds rinse and repeat for next bosses, collect wins and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Panoramixe
    These days healers are hardly needed.
    I respecced my resto shaman to ele in vh hc, since the tank hardly took damage. Last boss died before I even had to throw a heal. Pretty fun when you have 4 dps that do 4k+.
    (Did the same in DTK hc, trollgore was dead in seconds and gave the achievement for some, but I wouldn't advice doing it on the dino. Tank died just before the boss, because ele shaman heals are slow .)
    Heroics are a JOKE. I've seen groups 4man UK and Nexus with no healer.

A good tank is important fot holding aggro so the DPS can chain-rape the trash with AOE.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

If your tank and healer are semi decent it won't matter how bad your dps are, unless you're doing HoR you will finish eventually.

15+ Year Old Account

5 average geared, none retarded party members
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Abb
    It is very hard to recognise an "awesome" healer in a Heroic, as there is never any real danger, unless the tanks fucks up somehow. So, I would vote the tank.

When I heal the randoms on my priest, I massively outgear it, and so get bored. I challenge myself to make the run go as quickly as possible. This includes encouraging the tank to chainpull and dpsing things myself. With a half-decent tank, they should require virtually no healing on a single target boss fight, and if they do, a quick shield + penance is more than enough. My personal record as healer-dps is 3.4k on Trollgore (with heroism).

I have been known to pull extra mobs, then fade and stand in the DD/consecration/next to the tanks at time when im bored with a slow pulling tank =P. Only died once doing it so far =].
    Love healers like you, so sick of healers. MANA no way MANA, after like 3 trash pulls, or WAIT YOU ARE GOING TO FAST SLOW DOWN OR I AM GONNA LEAVE!!11!!!eleven.

Musta been a bad tank or a HUGE pull if one let you die btw :P

a Great Heroic group?.. Hm..
    • Tank who knows how to tank to the fulliest
    • Healer who controls he's mana usage, and still manages to keep everyone topped at all times(dps who dies, dies of their own mistakes in 90% of all cases.)
    • 3 x Dps who has more than 4-5k Average dps during the whole run

Group Setup.. Healer is kinda random, but Resto shaman is always great, so is a Resto Druid.
    Tank.. Feral Druid who knows he's class, els a Paladin or DK Tank
    for the dps part i prefer doubble hunter and a rogue for AoE misdirection for smoother and faster AoE pulls

a great Heroic group just keeps running, pulls 2-4 groups at a time, and smoothly and as Fast as possible AoE's them down without loosing Aggro on a single mob(the more loose mobs, the more Dmg wasted on AoE spells who doesn't hit em, and Healer has to use instant spells who costs alot of mana ect ect.. (chaos = bad)

basicly.. a great Heroic group is a group who can clear the Heroics in less than 10-20 minutes without ever dying or wiping, where all the dps, and the tank and healer has so great gear and knowledge of their class they do 6-8k dps, never goes oom, and never dies.
    and that are up for more Heroics?
    True wisdom is to look beyond your own opinion.

Deleted

When the DPS do 1.5k+
    When the tank tanks
    When the healer heals.

Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftsaso
    Ok so i had a debate with some friends thought i'd make a poll out of it here.

when que'd into a random heroic all pug what makes the group go the smoothest. (given all aspects are needed for a group to work) (kinda i've seen 1 tank 4 great dps)

my view having run many heroics as tank healer and dps, is that simply the tank turns any heroic from crap to sick.

every random i do as my tank goes sooo smothly we clear most places under 15 min or slightly over (exepet occ fuck that place)

when i run as dps on my paladin (4k in 5mans meh geared) i find myself with tanks who control the speed but have no right to be tanking some under deff cap some with 25k hp (fine if you can play)

i haven't seen an awesome healer with so/so or crap dps and tank so i dunno how much of the group they can pull thro.

whats everyone's thoughts?
    5 ret pallies.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Antik
    Quite being so self righteous, your roll is no harder than anyone elses.
    Letting the tanks pull for themselves isn't hard either but a lot of pug dps can't manage that.

If a tank is delaying a pull then there is a good chance that the tank is waiting on a threat cooldown. Shockwave for warriors, dnd for dks, you get the idea.

If I'm tanking for you and you have time to even think about pullling it's because my dnd is on cooldown and I need it to pick the next pack up effectively. Pull when I'm not ready to grab threat and you die because I can't do anything to prevent it.

10+ Year Old Account

got into a heroic gundrak on my deathknight yesterday now its an easy instance so i,m thinknig grand grand shouldnt be too bad should it.
    the 2 other dps and the tank are whinging over dps (the tank was outdpsing them both mage and a ele shammie both in teir 9 etc) .so heres me think i,ve come into the pug of hell lots of whinging lots of whining and stroking of the collective epeen ,
    then the healer who,s said nothing goes can we get the less rabi achie off the whats his name the big mammoth dude and its like a switch is turned on all the bitching stops and the guys who 2 seconds before where at each others throats are working better now than a raid team whos been playing together for 3 years its amazing what the word achie does to people .
    well we got it first time lots of hand clapping etc then we move on the moods changed everyones happy ahving a giggle etc and we get to the last guy and the healer goes again (only his second words of the run ) can we get the impale achie we go aye so first time we try we fail coz the boss jsut wont impale the tank lol ,so the healer politly asks me do i have tnaking gear i go aye go fetch it put it on and we go again and smoke us a troll boss with achie.

the run took us about 25 mins coz i ahd to go back and get me gear and the wipe on the last boss was a good group even after first impressions and gave me hope of pugs everywhere .
    next pug was occ and i nearly cried 35 minutes alter and half the group got lost on teh drakes so much for first impressions lol.
    Faith Manages

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    Letting the tanks pull for themselves isn't hard either but a lot of pug dps can't manage that.

If a tank is delaying a pull then there is a good chance that the tank is waiting on a threat cooldown. Shockwave for warriors, dnd for dks, you get the idea.

If I'm tanking for you and you have time to even think about pullling it's because my dnd is on cooldown and I need it to pick the next pack up effectively. Pull when I'm not ready to grab threat and you die because I can't do anything to prevent it.
    It definitely sucks getting into a pug with a tank that sits afk for five minutes at the beginning. If you go into a dungeon, let the buffs happen, re-mana, then go. Don't waste time, when time doesn't need to be wasted.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick
    It definitely sucks getting into a pug with a tank that sits afk for five minutes at the beginning. If you go into a dungeon, let the buffs happen, re-mana, then go. Don't waste time, when time doesn't need to be wasted.
    There are two solutions to this: votekick the tank and wait for a better one or tank it yourself.

Deleted

There are two solutions to this: votekick the tank and wait for a better one or tank it yourself.
    I HERD U CAN KICK THE GUY BEFORE THE 15 MIN TIMER..... OWAIT

Quote Originally Posted by Deathflame
    I HERD U CAN KICK THE GUY BEFORE THE 15 MIN TIMER..... OWAIT
    If the heroic is over in 15 minutes then what's there to complain about? In any case, queue with a tank you know or do it yourself if you want to guarantee that your tank won't be bad.

Deleted

If the heroic is over in 15 minutes then what's there to complain about? In any case, queue with a tank you know or do it yourself if you want to guarantee that your tank won't be bad.

*point up* read the post you quoted.