Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Don't kick your tank...

My tank has 43k hp unbuffed so i never have to worry about this.

cool story tho bro

I agree OP i have no problems tanking with my undergeared pally
    http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z49/rchmarkert_2007/Signatures/cpt.jpg

I've kicked tanks for two reasons:
    They went AFK.
    They completely sucked.

A good healer will just suck it up and heal through.
    Especially if you [the healer] have decent gear.
    Provided that 1 and 2 are fullfilled, there's little reason to kick a tank.
    Unless it's the stand around "rdy?" every pull tank.
    Almost worse than the afk tank.

[Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black]

I have yet to kick a tank. I've been doing heroics on my rogue, dps shaman and prot/fury warrior. I generally tank on my warrior (~39k unbuffed) but run as fury for the hell of it once in a while. A couple weeks ago I entered a dtk as fury and the dk tank had like 24k hp buffed. I was a bit skeptical at first but I stated I could swap specs and tank if it didn't go well and knowing this I continued. The tank said he had just hit 80 and this was one of his first heroics. Sure I ended up ot-ing some stuff from pulling aggro but we finished the instance (had a wipe on king dread from tank dying) and it actually went quite smoothly. He payed attention, didn't pull 10 groups at once and did fine. As some others have stated, we all used to be doing heroics in blues/greens when 24k hp was decent and dps hit 2k if lucky. Cut people some slack on gear. (Stupid people excluded)
    "They don't like it when you shoot at 'em. I worked that out myself." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Objects in mirrors are your elbows.

Ciarra: Draenei Enhancement Shaman

25k health? You're making it too easy for people still.

I've healed tanks with 21k health that reached the uncrittable mark through PvP gear, and as a result had very low avoidance.

The difference between that and a so-called "real" tank? I actually had to cast healing spells.

These days, I actually hope for tanks in the 25k range, because it means they're good enough to get the job done but not so godly they can do it without me healing... which means I have something to do besides heal dps too stupid to move out of the fire and do over 1k dps as a holy paladin beating on mobs with SoR.

*(BTW, there is nothing more hilarious than initiating a vote kick on a DPS for not being able to out-dps the healer :-P)

I'm okay with 25k health everywhere else.

I'm not okay with 25k health in Pit of Saron or Halls of Reflection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

i just started trying to tank heroics yesterday and im pretty new to it.

i have 25k health with commanding shout up and most of my gear is quest blues/cheap epics i grabbed from AH.

ive found that i dont get kicked from groups because of my low health but because i struggle to keep agro from ilvl245 dpsers nuking whatever target they want and ignoring the marked ones and then complaining coz i cant keep agro.

Deleted

If he has 22k HP little or no enchants and bad gems with PvP gear I will.

10+ Year Old Account

I love when i do heroics like UK Nexus and the easier of the bunch and i say eff it ill wear my dps gear (feral Druid btw) around 30-32k buffed and people ask dont u have any tank gear when im doing about 4k dps in bear and topping all them on the charts.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Caradinist
    I'm okay with 25k health everywhere else.

I'm not okay with 25k health in Pit of Saron or Halls of Reflection.
    I healed a lot of strange pug tanks in hc PoS. The 2 strangest were:
    - bear tank, 33K in bear form with fort+kings+motw+lotd
    - pala tank pvp specced pvp geared with haste gems, about 30K unbuffed. Felt like cloth
    I think a proper tank with 25K unbuffed is okay for PoS, just don't stand in the bad things and use ohshit buttons when needed.

This thread has no point.
    You can easily tank any (old) heroic with ~20k life, even if you're not completely crit immune - as long as the rest of the group is not in greens. If the tank can hold aggro, there is no problem.

BUT if the tank is fail, you can kick him earliest after 15 minutes. I for sure wouldn't wait that long, most of the instances are clear within 15-20 minutes, I would simply leave. So I don't see why kicking someone would ever be a problem - if it would take significantly more time than 15 minutes to clear that instance, not only the tank, but the entire group fails.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerman
    20k hp is enough for the original heroics, thats what the tanks tanked them with when lich king went live, and tier 6 gear was good enough to tank naxx ten with so 20k hp is enough to tank a heroic, not gonna be easy on the healer but its about time they do something in heroics nowadays, with tanks in full t9 they can just /slack in heroics
    +1
    I usually heal with my priest/druid/paladin and I don't have a problem healing tanks with low HP. I remember when I started gearing my priest in the beginning of wotlk and I was in blues/some greens and I managed to heal the tanks around 20 k hp. Of course it wasn't as easy as it is now, but you don't really need a tank with 35 k hp unbuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    Also 1.5k in a heroic is INCREDIBLY GOD AWFUL. Anyone who says that under ANY EXCUSE beyond having NO ARMS is a horrible horrible player who should probably just delete their character. I do 1.5k on most of my healing classes in heroics while healing.

I could double 1.5k on any of my 80's with the keyboard on my head as a hat. I kick these people out my heroics on principle.
    For what it's worth, my L68 Death Knight just did 950 dps in Sethekk Halls. I can't imagine not being able to add 600 dps onto that in the next 12 levels. Anyone else who can't do that honestly just isn't trying very hard IMO.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri
    This thread has no point.
    You can easily tank any (old) heroic with ~20k life, even if you're not completely crit immune - as long as the rest of the group is not in greens. If the tank can hold aggro, there is no problem.
    Agreed, but for a different reason.

Back in the starting days of WotLK, I do remember using such figures to stomp around HC's. The key point, however, was that such runs also took long and more often than I liked also had wipes (sometimes even on trash). I remember when we first did Loken while sticking close to him all the time, eating the Lightning Nova's. Or the Oculus, before its numerous nerfs. Culling of Stratholme, trying to do it under 25 minutes to get that Drake.

Yeah, we died, we payed the bills, we took our time.

People don't want that anymore. They know they can trash any dungeon in under 15 minutes now if people know what they do and have decent high end WotLK gear. They just don't want to sit around and muddle on for ages, wipe after wipe, in a dungeon they *know* they can clear faster, without wipes.

That's why people dislike lower geared players in these groups. It's not about whether you can make the dungeon in the end, it's about the time needed to do so and the repair bill attached.

Speaking from a healer/tank stand point, give the lower geared tanks a chance to prove their salt. After tanking and healing WotLK heroics, it's not nearly as gear dependant as heroics in TBC were. I have a full set of raid tank gear and sit with respectable numbers (40k hp/62% avoidance unbuffed) but i tank in my furious gear+dps set. My healers laugh and arent bored because they dont have to just renew or rejuv me the entire instance.

Healing wise, a tank with less gear makes it more fun...and half the time i only hit 60% mana. The part where I get irritated is when DPS go gung-ho and start attacking whatever they want. People like that should get sent back to TBC heroics and just get stomped because they are overeager to top the meter. To you guys, its not hard to target the tank and press the assist button. Your job is to DPS within reason and not exceed the tanks' threat, it's surprising how many people forget the last part...

That's my little contribution. Remember guys we all start somewhere, your slight extra bit of work dealing with a gearing tank might make his/her/its day.