Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fake tanks and Dungeon Finder - Your ignore list is gonna fill fast.

Seems the new fad amongst DPS that have the -option- to tank in their class but have no desire to, have started abusing the Dungeon Finder in order to get the instant queues that tanks and healers enjoy due to their limited presence.

Over the past few days I've started having groups happen where it says we have a tank, the tank checks off on doing the instance, then we load in and it's 3 DK's and a healer/dps (depending on what toon I'm queuing on), and all of them are in dps gear and blood presence, with not one of them willing to tank or even admit which one of them queued as a tank.

Apparently, sitting in an instance in a group, waiting for one of the other DPS to give up in disgust and leave so that they can requeue as a DPS when a spot opens up, then waiting for another 15 minutes for an actual tank (and hope it's not someone else pulling the same bullshit they are), is preferable to doing dailies or farming for 15 minutes in the first place.

So, my solution so far, is that everyone in the group capable of tanking but not, is put on my ignore list and I then leave party. The exception to this is obviously is a Tree druid or a paladin with a large mana bar. Is it possible that I'm unfairly ignoring an honest DPS DK, Ret, Lolstorm, Feral, or Boomkin? (You don't have to have feral gear to checkbox tank, I tested this on my own Boomkin) Quite possible, and I'm sure I already have some innocent ignores on my list. However, with no way of seeing who the one checking off Tank but not actually wanting/being able to tank, my options are limited on how to avoid whoever's doing it.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Re: Fake tanks and Dungeon Finder - Your ignore list is gonna fill fast.

I've run into that only once but I know it's a very common thing.
    You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions he commands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidonis
    Seems the new fad amongst DPS that have the -option- to tank in their class but have no desire to, have started abusing the Dungeon Finder in order to get the instant queues that tanks and healers enjoy due to their limited presence.

Over the past few days I've started having groups happen where it says we have a tank, the tank checks off on doing the instance, then we load in and it's 3 DK's and a healer/dps (depending on what toon I'm queuing on), and all of them are in dps gear and blood presence, with not one of them willing to tank or even admit which one of them queued as a tank.

Apparently, sitting in an instance in a group, waiting for one of the other DPS to give up in disgust and leave so that they can requeue as a DPS when a spot opens up, then waiting for another 15 minutes for an actual tank (and hope it's not someone else pulling the same bullshit they are), is preferable to doing dailies or farming for 15 minutes in the first place.

So, my solution so far, is that everyone in the group capable of tanking but not, is put on my ignore list and I then leave party. The exception to this is obviously is a Tree druid or a paladin with a large mana bar. Is it possible that I'm unfairly ignoring an honest DPS DK, Ret, Lolstorm, Feral, or Boomkin? (You don't have to have feral gear to checkbox tank, I tested this on my own Boomkin) Quite possible, and I'm sure I already have some innocent ignores on my list. However, with no way of seeing who the one checking off Tank but not actually wanting/being able to tank, my options are limited on how to avoid whoever's doing it.
    Why not just look at their unit frames and see who the game assigned as the tank? Then you know who the ass is and who to vote kick.

If you haven't noticed or don't care it puts the same little logo that you check or it shows when waiting for people to accept the group over everyones unit frames. If you are running a custom UI that doesn't show this then update or revert to the default frames.

If you use the standard UI there should be a small box on the character profile that shows the role they selected in the que.

That may or may not be disabled/gone if you use a UI addon but I am staring at it on my laptop right now.

My unit frame shows a little icon next to each persons health bar - cross for healer, sword for dps, shield for tank. Makes it very easy to tell who the LFG system selected for the tank. I am using Pitbull for my unit frames, but did nothing special to setup this feature so I am not sure how other frames show this.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

On my unit frames it displays the role everyone has selected for the group. It's really no mystery to me who selected the role of tank. Not sure why the other two DPS in the group should be punished because they are playing a DPS spec and qued as that. My suggestion is to take note of who the person is and fill out a GM ticket. I'm sure they could easily issue a warning to the person. It seems like this actually probably falls under the whole ruining the spirit of the game or abuse of game mechanics.

Out of curiosity what class are you playing? Must be a pure DPS class to have this attitude. I'm not saying you are wrong, but your attitude towards any hybrid is a little bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_s
    Why not just look at their unit frames and see who the game assigned as the tank? Then you know who the ass is and who to vote kick.

If you haven't noticed or don't care it puts the same little logo that you check or it shows when waiting for people to accept the group over everyones unit frames. If you are running a custom UI that doesn't show this then update or revert to the default frames.
    I wasn't aware there was a buff/debuff given to each person declaring their role?
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

His attitude doesn't seem off. He just didn't know about the unit frame icon showing who queued as tank.

It's not a buff/debuff. It's a very small icon next to the toon's unit frame (in the standard UI at least). E.g.- If you look at your party frame you'll see the little icons near each person's name. Or if you select them you'll see it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpzilla
    On my unit frames it displays the role everyone has selected for the group. It's really no mystery to me who selected the role of tank. Not sure why the other two DPS in the group should be punished because they are playing a DPS spec and qued as that. My suggestion is to take note of who the person is and fill out a GM ticket. I'm sure they could easily issue a warning to the person. It seems like this actually probably falls under the whole ruining the spirit of the game or abuse of game mechanics.

Out of curiosity what class are you playing? Must be a pure DPS class to have this attitude. I'm not saying you are wrong, but your attitude towards any hybrid is a little bit off.
    The icon isn't displaying, so it must be an issue with the unitframes I'm using.

As to my class, I've a boomkin that I run heroics on as a tree, a prot paladin that I -gasp- tank on, a hunter, mage, and a resto shaman.

Thanks to the rest though that brought up the icon and the UI frames bit.

Things like Xperl, etc, anything that alters the base unit frames will REMOVE the icons that state what role everyone chose.

They have not been upgraded to support that as of yet. Those who do not use unit frame addons do in fact see icons that state which role people chose. (Sword for DPS, Shield for Tank, and a green cross for healer)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou
    Things like Xperl, etc, anything that alters the base unit frames will REMOVE the icons that state what role everyone chose.

They have not been upgraded to support that as of yet. Those who do not use unit frame addons do in fact see icons that state which role people chose. (Sword for DPS, Shield for Tank, and a green cross for healer)
    Pitbull does have the icons in it's own fashion. ^^

I will give my life for the nation. ~Naoto Kan. SNN

15+ Year Old Account

actually now, xperl new update has little icons above their names that tell you whos dps/tank/healer. its actually a nice little addition.

Deleted

hmm im a tank, but ive never heard about this before..

i only sign up as 1 spec, even though my offspec is healer

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadowed UI or w/e the hell the frame replacement is shows icons.

I was on my rogue, got into an HoL. Only possible healer was a priest. Tank(warrior) asked for a fort buff. Nothing happened. Asked again. Nothing. Specifically asked the priest to buff the group with fort and the priest replied, "I play shadow, I cant do Fort." After recovering from that stunning remark, the tank basically asked "WTF?" Then the "priest" told us that he only queued as healer to get into instance faster. So it isn't only classes that have the potential to tank that do it. I will add that I have waited a max of 15 minutes on my dps class toon to get into instances. Admittedly, on my healer, it is almost always instantaneous. But still, 15 minutes isn't bad compared to the old days.
    For dps, do some dailies, fish or farm for stuff to sell on AH while waiting. I mean, seriously, be a little patient. . You fake your way into an instance as tank or heals and it is going to fail anyway, so you have just wasted your time and everyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou

Shadows unit frames has icons aswell

Fantastic, apparently this is common now? I never really see this because all my toons are tanks, but occasionally I run something on an alt tank who wasn't fantastically geared. Our healer sucked and once he was offline D/C'd for about 5min, we vote kicked him after 2 bosses in H-PoS. Then this guy gets queued in as a healer, he immediately says "I'm not a healer, I'm DPS". He then says to kick the lowest person and he will do way more damage. The amount of fail in his logic was astounding. I would've dropped group and requeued, but I was already saved to that instance from a previous run and I really wanted the 2 hander off the last boss. The guy wouldn't leave the group and even admitted that he was tired of long waits. That was a huge douche thing to do and really sucked for me.

Glad to hear this is more common, ugh.

Wow... just wow. Such ignorance, such stupidity. You can see who picked which role, if you weren't so busy having your head stuck in your own butt you'd find where. And if you have frames hiding it, perhaps you should get better frames or use the standard ones when doing heroics.

While it is annoying the scenario you talked about, it doesn't happen that often and is certainly nothing to cry about on the forums, especially since you didn't bother finding out that you could see which role people have with normal frames before this stupid post.

Quote Originally Posted by Iniquity
    Wow... just wow. Such ignorance, such stupidity. You can see who picked which role, if you weren't so busy having your head stuck in your own butt you'd find where. And if you have frames hiding it, perhaps you should get better frames or use the standard ones when doing heroics.

While it is annoying the scenario you talked about, it doesn't happen that often and is certainly nothing to cry about on the forums, especially since you didn't bother finding out that you could see which role people have with normal frames before this stupid post.
    Please don't reproduce.