Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Druid Tanks and Thorns

Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    I can solo all but Golemagg (best got him to ~10%), so i assume you should be able to do the same :P. Only problem unless you bring someone else you wont be able to unlock Major domo/rag because you have to kill Golemagg
    not doubting it, but I'm curious how you solo that first naga thing between magmadar and garr (blame me for not knowing the name ^^). he has a healing debuff (75%). he has basically massive magic damage (shadowbolts, rain of fire, iirc) and his two ads are stunning you into oblivion. I never even managed it to kill his adds ...

Ontopic: compared to damageshield from a warrior, even a spelldamage-buffed thorns does relatively low damage... on the other side, I don't have aoe threat problems at all, too... I even forget to buff thorns at all mostly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos
    So your paladin is being lazy and not tabbing to use the different single-target abilities (their other threat is good enough they don't really need to bother). In Icecrown paladins also have abilities against undead, which means even more threat.
    See the kicker there is as I said I play both druid and paladin, 1 run I'm the paladin the other Im the druid so I know whats going on and no I'm not lazy I tab and use my rotations as I'm suppose to on both chars, and yes undead means 1% more dmg and a use of a 30 sec cd move, this is not ground breaking but it just underlines how good a druids threat is atm and without any need of buffing at all

Quote Originally Posted by Vaudevillian
    Paladins have adaptive to other forms of aoe threat which go leaps and bounds over all other tanks. Lets elaborate:

Damage proc when hit: Retribution Aura
    Persistent area-based Damage: Consecrate (Auto, 1 gcd, Persists for 8 seconds, 8 Second cd)
    Multi-target ability: Avenger's Shield (1 gcd, 30 second cd, Silence, daze) Hammer of the Righteous (1 gcd, 3(4)Targets, procs Seal effects, 6 second cd)

The big thing now is that most paladins run with Seal of Command. This procs a double cleave on enemies near by. This alone throws their aoe threat through the roof, by taking a talent in the Retribution tree.

Druids have Swipe, [G]Maul, and Thorns.
    For 1 ret aura druids get as well.... and what does listing abilities have to do other then pointing out whats already been said,that druid tanking is easy. More abilities doesn't automatically mean more threat..

It just boggles my mind how ppl jump on common conceptions because some1 said so on a forum which mostly mean they are at the short end of the stick for being bad but rather wanna blame the class they got beaten by instead looking at themselves.

10+ Year Old Account

The AP scaled/small dot to thorns or an unholy blight like ability would probably jump our AE threat up quite a bit to be more "on par" with the other tank classes. But I've been wanting something maybe like a thunderclap, just a quick small AE ability that does a little more threat than swipe, but isn't something I can just spam; something to get a quick, decent to large amount of aggro.
    At least that's what I want. I have terrible AE aggro problems so it seems to be a good idea to me, or I'm terribad. Who knows.

15+ Year Old Account

have you specced swipe?
    do you have a weapon with roughly the average level of the remaining gear?
    is the rest of your group/raid, especially the dps, on a comparable gear-level than you? meaning not 2 tiers above you?
    are you spamming swipe? regardless of glyphed and/or macro'ed maul and the threatlevel of your maintarget?

If you are in T10 content:
    do you already have T10 2p bonus?

if you can answer anything of those questions with "no", this might be the reason for your lacking of aoe threat.
    if everything can be answered with "yes", I honestly don't have any clue why you are so terrybad in aoe threat. And I honestly don't think, that a thunderclap-like ability can resolve that issue without making it ridiciously overpowered in average.

Faladrath, my head hurts reading your posts.

IMO-Pallies have the potential to do far more aoe threat than bears, same with DKs. The DK I tank with drops a D&D, puts up diseases, then pestilence. At this point, if we went in at the same time, I will have one mob on me from maul and swipe and everything else he'll have a 30% threat lead on me. Our ranged aoe, mostly warlocks, will pull off him in groups so I don't see what chance I really have. Most of what I do is taunt things people pull off him lol.

I keep a resto set which gets my thorns up to 200 damage a hit, it's a hell of alot of gear to carry around but the ~15 slots I have left over do alright.

new spell: dingleberry [requires bear form]
    That thing hangin off your bear but enrages all mobs within 10 yards causing threat every second but no damage. May occasionally cause friendly players to lose their minds and attack you.

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus
    Faladrath, my head hurts reading your posts.

IMO-Pallies have the potential to do far more aoe threat than bears, same with DKs. The DK I tank with drops a D&D, puts up diseases, then pestilence. At this point, if we went in at the same time, I will have one mob on me from maul and swipe and everything else he'll have a 30% threat lead on me. Our ranged aoe, mostly warlocks, will pull off him in groups so I don't see what chance I really have. Most of what I do is taunt things people pull off him lol.

I keep a resto set which gets my thorns up to 200 damage a hit, it's a hell of alot of gear to carry around but the ~15 slots I have left over do alright.

new spell: dingleberry [requires bear form]
    That thing hangin off your bear but enrages all mobs within 10 yards causing threat every second but no damage. May occasionally cause friendly players to lose their minds and attack you.
    I can understand why your head would hurt from reading the truth and seeing your short comings but in your example of vs a DK, his DnD should drop when you've entered melee through charge, you should have 2 swipes of before he got his Plauge strike off and much less his pestilence which gives you a good 3-4 swipes/mauls of before he even has his aoe setup. Now if you do all this and your still getting your ass handed to you like you are then a)your bad and is not doing all this or b) he outgears you or c) all md/tot goes to him. A good weapon for a druid makes a world of difference in threat.

Blizzard has already stated that they want to make thorns a more interesting skill which is good because right now when i buff up to like 3800 sp it still doesn't hit as hard and ret aura.
    Resto Druids, the best health care system

Lol, i never consider using thorns on upp'n dps to adds and threat, but how much are we talking here.... i have nearly a full set of moonking gear rotting in the bank as i am loot dumpster when it comes to that stuff, could prolly easily reach 2k+ SP. This might be viable considering the Sindragosa fight wehre it's just me tanking alot of adds. It might be minimal but to me progression fights is all about min/max'n

I don't charge, I go in at the same time as him since that gets me an extra gcd of swiping. Pretty much the only time I ever charge is to interrupt casters. The DK and I are at about the same gear level, we do have 2 rogues typically in our raids, I hadn't thought about tot fok although I don't remember seeing it. Also I think I may have been hung over this morning or something because your posts seems to read clearer now. I guess I'll ask our rogues if they're doing that, I had been hoping that my t10 2set would overcome the DK but only enrage, swiping and tab mauling seems to get aggro off him. I don't remember my bear ap exactly but my swipes usually hit ~650/1300 and I have 50% crit or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus
    I don't charge, I go in at the same time as him since that gets me an extra gcd of swiping.
    That makes no sense how do you get an extra gcd by walking in vs charge? This means you will do your 1st swipe as he does his plague strike with 1-2 ticks of DnD and 2nd when he does his pestilence. Charge 1st and your 3rd swipe will be what is happening when he does his plague strike and 4th on pestilence. Will make quite a bit of difference as they will hit you more and thorns and ret aura will give you additional threat and lead on the dk.Your swipe dmg is fine,just work on getting into the fire faster, and ofc check the tots There is an addon that shows in raid when a md/tot is used and on who, makes it easier to track.