Page 1 of 3
LastLast

To all you good tanks out there, thank you ...

... for:

1) Keeping the nasty mobs from hitting me
    2) Giving me vigilance, and therefore allowing me to unleash just a touch more kickass
    3) Pulling mobs/bosses away from black/purple/whatever colour circles, so I can stand behind and safely dps
    4) Confidently leading the run through without displaying any hesitation, thereby making my experience that much more enjoyable
    5) Marking the mobs you're going to hit the most, so I know what you're doing ... and
    5.1) Keeping that mob as your main target and not jumping around between mobs.
    6) Your commanding shout, which helps us withstand aoe damage just a little bit more.

Those are the few things that I missed from a good tank when we had a tank last night that did none of these (multiple wipes in heroic FoS FTL), and I realised just how much I appreciate a good tank when I get one.

If you do these things (and other tanky things, of course), thank you ... if you don't read this thread and I'm sure there'll be more tips forthcoming as to how to make your party member's lives a touch more enjoyable.

Re: To all you good tanks out there, thank you ...

your welcome

You're welcome.

I'd like to point out one thing in your list though if I may.

Unfortunately, it seems as though many people in PuGs don't understand assisting and pay virtually no heed to the giant skull above a critters head. Thus I'm often forced to switch between mobs to keep up enough aggro on them to keep you all safe. I always lock down solid threat on my primary target though. As a warrior I don't have quite the ezmode aoe threat like say consecration. Although Tclap does a fair job. Just keep that in mind as a possibility if the tank is having to switch mobs a lot.

Best of luck to ya!

Holy shit! It's...can it be....appreciation?

HEY!!! What about Pallies!!!

Also most good tanks do the opposite of 5.1 just to keep a steady stream of aggro on all mobs. Lets the AOE fly more freely.

Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Moriroken
    ... for:

2) Giving me vigilance, and therefore allowing me to unleash just a touch more kickass
    3) Pulling mobs/bosses away from black/purple/whatever colour circles, so I can stand behind and safely dps
    4) Confidently leading the run through without displaying any hesitation, thereby making my experience that much more enjoyable
    5) Marking the mobs you're going to hit the most, so I know what you're doing ... and
    6) Your commanding shout, which helps us withstand aoe damage just a little bit more.

I approve this message and I completely agree. Thank you tanks! You deserve more appreciation, tanking requires much more effort then any dps rotation (imo); sometimes people tend to forget that.

no problem.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

if ya pull aggro u die

Quote Originally Posted by Excessive
    Holy shit! It's...can it be....appreciation?
    Yes, now thank me for my damage.

THANK ME NOW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You are correct that a lot of players moan about things being too easy without having seen the content personally. We definitely place less emphasis on their feedback than on people who have actually tried those encounters.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=1&pageNo=4#72

ya gotta thanks tanks for grouping with you so you get an instant group for heroic instead of a 10 min wait,

Wow, I love being apprieciated (spelling?). I was DPS for 4 years and switched because of it's easy mode and enjoy tanking due to the challenge. So yes, thanks. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.

... for:

Those are the few things that I missed from a good tank when we had a tank last night that did none of these (multiple wipes in heroic FoS FTL), and I realised just how much I appreciate a good tank when I get one.

If you do these things (and other tanky things, of course), thank you ... if you don't read this thread and I'm sure there'll be more tips forthcoming as to how to make your party member's lives a touch more enjoyable.
    Love you
    and yes, i usually speed run heroix and make funnies and such, it gets their spirits up and have a good time.
    i myself enjoy tanking for random peeps <3
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

Wow, finally someone apperciates thier tanks, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggler
    That's how you honor heroes... You put their statue in a corner, which people only visit to kill squirrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks
    I see your madness and raise you a sparta.
    Quote Originally Posted by rat
    Back here in fantasy-land, pyrite is the blue goo in those barrels in the Flame Leviathan encounter, typically used for blowing shit the fuck up.
    Sooooo.
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknot
    HEY!!! What about Pallies!!!

Also most good tanks do the opposite of 5.1 just to keep a steady stream of aggro on all mobs. Lets the AOE fly more freely.

Pallies are great too, as are DK's and teddy bears ... I just have a soft spot for Warrior tanks - I like 'em ;-)

As for switching targets, I accept that it's necessary for all-round threat, but seriously, this guy was hitting once on each target and running across the room to the next, leave me to unleash on the skull (yes, he DID mark) with only minimal threat built up from him ... it took 2 Sinister strikes for me to pull aggro on the main targetted mob, while the tank was 20 yards away trying to chase the mob down that the mage had pulled for the same reason.

No Thunderclap was used (or very seldom was used), no Shockwave, no real AOE threat was being generated at all. Had he done that, it would have been easy for us to stick to one target and drop it fast. I forgot to confirm the spec, but I have a funny feeling he wasn't prot spec'd.

Anyway, as I said, the whole experience made me really appreciate the tanks that are out there who actually do a good job. It's generally the difference between a nightmare run and a dream ;-)

I love tanking and completely appreciate the post.

1) Keeping the nasty mobs from hitting me.
    - Let me Charge in (if applicable), Pop Thunderclap, reposition mobs, throw down a Shockwave and we are good to go.
    2) Giving me vigilance, and therefore allowing me to unleash just a touch more kickass.
    I'll /inspect our group before we start and make a guesstimate on who gets Vigilance. Will adjust (if needed) after the first couple of trash mobs.
    3) Pulling mobs/bosses away from black/purple/whatever colour circles, so I can stand behind and safely DPS.
    Yeah, it's painful when the tank has melee sitting in a poison cloud,fire, or other nasty spot.
    4) Confidently leading the run through without displaying any hesitation, thereby making my experience that much more enjoyable.
    I'm not going to do insane chain pulling. I'm in the daily random for my Emblems of Frost, but to have fun too.
    I'll at least mark Skull and hopefully between Cleaves, Devastates, Shockwaves, & Thunderclaps I'll have a nice threat lead on the rest.
    Commanding Shout is an expected common courtesy but if I have an uber geared group with an EZ mode run, I'll swap to Battle Shout for moar DPS.

Thanks to SMART DPS that
    1) Don't yell "go go go..." in the dungeon. I'm fine with an 18min vs. 15min clear.
    2) DPS the wrong target or pull before I get there.
    3) Hunters that give me a misdirect.
    4) Rogues who give me fan of knives.
    5) People who can have fun grinding the daily. (Say hello, make a joke, etc.) I might not group with you again, but who knows?
    6) Show common courtesy like, "Hey everyone, I'm going to roll Need on this OK?" or "Can I need for OS?" My answer 95% of the time is "Cool" or "gratz."
    7) Understand what a LoS pull means in UP.

I'm here for fun and for the most part have enjoyed my Daily Random Heroic PUGs. Sure there have been some fail players, but I've met some great peeps too. TBH, I've had the most fun running places like H UK or H UP with some fresh 80's who are excited to see gear drops vs. "elitists" who bail at the first sign of trouble, getting Oculus, etc...

Holy Cow batman! Someone appreciates what I am doing!

:') that made my day to be honest. Even though I am a bear and you obviously sent that out to the warriors, but thank you nevertheless.

... for:

No love for the bear ? :<

C'mon i got soft fur and all QQ
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account

In general, threat is never an issue with my tankadin or bear. It is for this reason that I generally don't mark anything in heroics. Attack whatever the hell you feel like burning down, I really don't care. We'll manage, and you will never pull off of me.

Some pulls in the new IC heroics are exceptions in which I will mark one or two targets.

Warrior tanks are another story, and it always infuriates me if I'm in a run and epic DPS are giving the tank a hard time because he's not a LOLadin. This is most common in HoR and PoS.

---- Combat Log ---

Nooblock casts Rain of Fire.
    Skillstorm casts Charge.
    Skillstorm casts Thunderclap.
    Nooblock has died.

----- Party chat log ---

[Nooblock]: OMFG L2tank noob
    Nooblock leaves the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkobot3000
    Unfortunately, it seems as though many people in PuGs don't understand assisting and pay virtually no heed to the giant skull above a critters head.
    it is sad i have had to start doing a pop quiz such as "pop quiz. what does a skull mean?" and then "so why the hell am i the only one hitting it"

ah the joys of pugs :

hey no problem i do what i can, thank you non fail dps for making the runs as quick as they are.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)