Frost DW tank gemming +hit and +exp = Dumb??

Hey guys!

Here is my dilemma: I have to gem for hot and expertise to get to my actual decent hit and expertise stats. Should I remove this gems and get stam instead??

I’m mostly geared from 245 triumph, BS 245 bracer and Anub 10’s chest, 2 piece t9, 232 Boots and neck from heroics, and a blue cloak (with +hit on it).
    I don’t have access to a lot of raiding drops, even though I’m working on it..

Hit is at 215 (6,56%) and expertise at 23.
    To get there I’m using
    - 2 red expertise gems,
    - 4 yellow hit gems
    - 5 blue stam only.

Drawback is that, based on armory, my health is only at 30,8k (not sure if it takes frost presence into consideration. If not, with 2288 stam, I’ve calculated I have 32,8k in fp), but others are:
    28% dodge
    22% parry
    29600 armor (18500 on armory).

Am I dumb and should I just gem +stam for heroics and ICC?
    Is low hit and exp not such a big deal?
    I've read hit needed is only 5% for dps, but taunt could miss with that low hit, right?

Thanks for your insights

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Frost DW tank gemming +hit and +exp = Dumb??

6% hit is over the melee special cap. You don't need more than 5% (though, it helps somewhat). Past 5% hit, don't gem for it.

Expertise isn't that important for heroics, but for ICC10, you want 26+.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakknafein
    Hey guys!

Here is my dilemma: I have to gem for hot and expertise to get to my actual decent hit and expertise stats. Should I remove this gems and get stam instead??

I’m mostly geared from 245 triumph, BS 245 bracer and Anub 10’s chest, 2 piece t9, 232 Boots and neck from heroics, and a blue cloak (with +hit on it).
    I don’t have access to a lot of raiding drops, even though I’m working on it..

Hit is at 215 (6,56%) and expertise at 23.
    To get there I’m using
    - 2 red expertise gems,
    - 4 yellow hit gems
    - 5 blue stam only.

Drawback is that, based on armory, my health is only at 30,8k (not sure if it takes frost presence into consideration. If not, with 2288 stam, I’ve calculated I have 32,8k in fp), but others are:
    28% dodge
    22% parry
    29600 armor (18500 on armory).

Am I dumb and should I just gem +stam for heroics and ICC?
    Is low hit and exp not such a big deal?
    I've read hit needed is only 5% for dps, but taunt could miss with that low hit, right?

Thanks for your insights
    You just have bad gear optimization. Pick up more pieces of tank gear. You should never be gemming for hit and exp. Only Stam, Agility/Stam, or Def/Stam. (Although if you do it correctly you could use a hybrid gem with Hit/Stam or Exp/Stam to get a socket bonus.)

As for the taunt resist, it is possible because it is based on the spell hit. However some talents will help that out, however you did not post your Spec at all.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

yeah the armory doesn´t take selfbuffs into consideration... personally i dont gem expertise or hit as a tank (besides 10hit+15stam/10exp+15stam in a few items with a decent socket bonus like 12 stam) because the threat gained by gemming these stats isnt high enough to sacrifice so much health. in your case you lose nearly 2000 health for 5 expertise and 2,4% hit. even with 4,1% hit and 18 expertise you should be able to maintain a good amount of tps.

and yes taunt can miss with low hit rating but thats very rare and even if it misses you usualy have deathgrip as a backup

Take all of this post to heart:
    http://pwnwear.com/2009/09/22/3-22-d...wield-tanking/

In summary and to answer your question: you shouldn't really need to gem for hit since because of talents you have the lowest hit demands of ANY tank class. Exp, however, has higher expectations and importance if you worry about parry hasting (which for the most part is a thing of the past but hey).

On this topic, to the more knowledgeable readers here, if you'd like to help with an update I'm writing on expertise and dual-wield, I have a post up for peer-review. Best place to help is by commenting on my blog.

Password 'pwn'.

I don't want to unlock it until I'm sure maths is right, and it goes directly to some earlier analysis that was done on expertise/ dual wield.

http://pwnwear.com/2010/01/11/dual-w...and-expertise/
    pwnwear.com on tanking and leadership.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

just gear more overal, everythings low.

sorry but, how dark command works with hit?

I don't think you calculated your right stats, 30k armor is not possible with 30k hp only, noticed that armor from rings, neckless back and enchants are not increase with FP.

download Rawr at http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr and post your right stats, or log on and write them down.

a typical DK from armory with no extra armor on gear (expect enchant on back) is at 17.4k on armory, and 26.4k armor with FP.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Ret was broken. If you don’t see eye to eye with us on that, then it’s understandable why the degree of change might be surprising to you
    i7 920@ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte X58A-UD7, 6GB Ram Triple Channel OCZ @ 1900Mhz, CrossFire HD 5850 1Gb, Vertex 3 240Gb, BenQ M2700HD. G15 Keyboard

6% hit is over the melee special cap. You don't need more than 5% (though, it helps somewhat). Past 5% hit, don't gem for it.

Expertise isn't that important for heroics, but for ICC10, you want 26+.
    This is wrong. If you are not hit capped your Taunts can miss and there are a number of raid fights that require taunts. The other tank may not survive if your taunt fails, lucky we have death grip also.

No stat is really important for heroics appart from being D capped. Just keep putting gear together that helps you reach the stat requirements. You may need to use a 2h blood build with a weapon like the sword from Ony to get by until you have enough stats from your gear.

Every tank is stacking Stam and you should be able to have Stam gems in every single slot and still have enough hit and expertise if your tanking gear is upto tanking ICC. Really to be tanking ICC you should have around 37k hp unbuffed, that is with simple T9 gear and extra bits from TOC 10\25.

Include your armory link in future posts so people can assist you better.

If u need the stat gem for it. Thats what it was for in the first place.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    This is wrong. If you are not hit capped your Taunts can miss and there are a number of raid fights that require taunts. The other tank may not survive if your taunt fails, lucky we have death grip also.
    Taunt very rarely misses with melee hit cap. And you can always slap on a taunt glyph for those fights.