DOT's question ...

Ok so first off. I have been and always will be a tank/healer. Ive never rolled a pure dps class to max lvl. BUT... i was plying league of legends the other day with a friend, and he was getting all nerd rage strong because a character we were fighting had a DOT, and it seemed to crit very frequently.

Now i did do some research, but google only returned results from TBC, and the search function brought no help on here for getting my specific question answered. so i figured id turn to the well informed community.

Do DOT's crit?
    Do they only "crit" from a specced skilll.

or do they crit based on crit %?
    It brought up an argument between me and him on the subject and i realized afterwords, neither of us play dps, so one of us is right by chance, would like to know who lol.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)

Re: DOT's question ...

Pandemic
    Requires 1 point in Unstable Affliction
    Requires 40 points in Affliction Talents
    Grants the periodic damage from your Corruption and Unstable Affliction spells the ability to critically hit for 100% increased damage, and increases the critical strike damage bonus of your Haunt spell by 100%.

Possibly the best talent in the tree.

15+ Year Old Account

DoT's can crit from Shadowform (shadow priests), Pandemic (Affliction warlock talent), or specific tier sets (Ret paladins T9 for example)

Crit is based on Crit%, but tend to have an extra 6-9% via talents.

R.I.P. YARG

so i guess my question, or assumption, is that unless you spec into a sepcific talent for lock/spriest, you cannot crit off your dot's despite how much crit % you have
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Board3r24/Sig.jpg
    (Sig too large)

DOTs and HoTs can not crit unless they explicitly say they can crit, or an item, or talent specifically allows them to crit.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Cronic420
    so i guess my question, or assumption, is that unless you spec into a sepcific talent for lock/spriest, you cannot crit off your dot's despite how much crit % you have
    yes for locks

15+ Year Old Account

What does Warcraft DoT mechanics have to do with League of Legends DoT mechanics.

And Yes Damage/Heal over time effects can crit. Just look at Living Bomb, that thing scares me!