Armor pen little issue

Don't worry, I won't ask you "WUTZ THE MINIMUM IN ARP TO GO ALL OUT" or "SHUD I BE USING DMC:G OR MR". I think my problem is a little more subtle

I just regemmed my whole feral kitten gear, and my stats are :
    - hit : 269 (over the cap by 6 rating)
    - expertise : 25 (2 expertise rating under the cap)
    - ap : 8338 unbuffed
    - crit : 55.76% unbuffed
    - haste : 298
    - armorpen : 722

I use the Scorpion trinket, which procs 678 armor pen. That puts me at exactly 1400 armor pen which is the cap.

The problem is I regemmed reallllly quickly, and I forgot my 3 jewelcrafter gems... (I regemmed reds and blues in 20 armorpen, yellows in 10agil/10crit, 1 blue with 10stats... The fact that I'm at 1400 armorpen exactly is just kind of a coincidence )

Then the question is :
    - Should I gem three 34 armorpen gems (that would put me, during scorpion procs, at 1442 armorpen) ?
    OR
    - Should I gem two 34 armorpen gems and one 34 agility gem (that would put me, during scoprion procs, at 1408) ?

EDIT : While I'm here, what's the "magical" value at which I'm supposed to abandon an armorpen proc trinket and go all-out armorpen for the hard cap ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Armor pen little issue

gem agility, keep it balanced untill u can get enough ARP from passive to regem for hardcap.
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens
    gem agility, keep it balanced untill u can get enough ARP from passive to regem for hardcap.
    Should I go for the hard cap only when I can get 1400 ? Or is there a "magical" value somewhere between 800 and 1300 where it's better to go without an armorpen trinket ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Asgard
    Should I go for the hard cap only when I can get 1400 ? Or is there a "magical" value somewhere between 800 and 1300 where it's better to go without an armorpen trinket ?
    The last number I heard (albeit I don't have a reference handy) was somewhere around 1000 ArP.

You may be able to average out the proc uptime and add that to the soft cap to find a rough equivalent, after which you can go for hard cap -- for NES, that's 150 armor pen (= 678 * 10 / 45), which would put you at 872 added to soft cap... There's a bit of a flaw in thinking of it this way, though, in that armor pen scales better than linearly -- that 678 armor pen at one time should give a bigger boost than 150 all the time.

So given that, about 1k armor pen sounds reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine
    The last number I heard (albeit I don't have a reference handy) was somewhere around 1000 ArP.
    800 is a good number, but it's all about personal choice. I actually switched over to stacking ArP at 500~, but it was a 25 or so dps difference.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by kittyrawr
    800 is a good number, but it's all about personal choice. I actually switched over to stacking ArP at 500~, but it was a 25 or so dps difference.
    Switching around 500 armor pen from pure agi is one thing; I'm referring to switching from softcap + trinket (and gemming agi after softcap) to going for hardcap (without trinket).

if you can hit 85% with food then you wanna switch generally. There's always other variables of course, like if you have more haste the number would be lower, because white attacks would hit faster and accrue for more of your damage, but that was the general rule way back when.