Do Mages suck in ICC ?

Hi ,
    as the title mentions , i would like to ask for your opinions.

after i have been always on top or very near during toc10 and 25 man i have the impression that the dmg of mages didnt really improve since a long time , my gear went from 232 to 245 and i experience that mages are in
    icc 25 ( at least in our raid) on the bottom especially on saurfang.

i see our other members like rogues , hunters , warriors , moonkins doing at least 500 - 1k dps more than mages.

so I'd like to know from you whether I suck at pressing arkanblast 4 times and then a missile barrage proc (if everything goes well) or the class ?

p.s. right now im sitting at 2800 spellpower , 803 haste rating ,hitcap and 30% crit unbuffed and i do around 6 to 6,5k dps in 25 man or some times worse.

Re: Do Mages suck in ICC ?

Mages are one of the best ranged dps in the game right now, if they are under moonkins they are probably either outgeared or doing something wrong.

Not at all. We simply got the short end of the -DPS- stick on 3/4 of the first 4 bosses in ICC. Marrowgar - we have to stop our max DPS rotation to free people from spikes. Deathwhisper - we spend our time dealing with adds (like everyone else, so everyone sees a DPS drop, I imagine). And Saurfang - Bloodbeasts. enough said. So it's really all casters, not just Magi. And we're not worse, just doing something different.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
    -Voltaire

hm well thats right , the first bosses dont really favor casters , but a few hours ago i had a hard time being on par with the equal geared ele shamy on festergut 10 man.

thats why i just ask me why so many people say that mages are that good atm and e.g. elemental shamys suck that much

Rogues and warriors will be rocking out the damage on Saurfang because they are single-target DPSing a boss with no melee gimmick making them pull off. Mages and hunters should be doing well because they have significant burst damage potential making switching to blood beasts a less significant DPS loss. Moonkin are sort of middle-of-the-road in terms of ramp-up time for their DPS rotation, while something like an Affliction warlock would do terribly on Saurfang.

Mages are very good DPS in ICC, and while they should not be surprised to be surpassed by the melee Blizzard loves they should be near the top on most fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Phage0070
    the melee Blizzard loves
    Do you play the same game that I do? I don't think so. Melee is almost always given the short end of the stick.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Jester_Joker
    Not at all. We simply got the short end of the -DPS- stick on 3/4 of the first 4 bosses in ICC. Marrowgar - we have to stop our max DPS rotation to free people from spikes. Deathwhisper - we spend our time dealing with adds (like everyone else, so everyone sees a DPS drop, I imagine). And Saurfang - Bloodbeasts. enough said. So it's really all casters, not just Magi. And we're not worse, just doing something different.
    This ^

15+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between over here and over there

That, plus upgrading from T9 to T10, we inevitably will break a 4 pc bonus, so that will take a toll on your DPS as well

This week's saurfang i was 4th under 2 rogues and a DK. our dps is fine its just we arn't standing there mashing buttons anymore we actually need to move and switch targets

Mages are fine - and the only boss that i experience dps loss, aka breaking rotation and going under 10k is rotface and sometimes festergut. Marrowgar, deathwhisper, saurfang - easy mode you just have to focus and use your brain not to break rotation. the only class i found myself outdmg by is rogues and sometimes dks. but they just pull too much 11k+

Quote Originally Posted by Nocgiu
    Hi ,
    as the title mentions , i would like to ask for your opinions.

after i have been always on top or very near during toc10 and 25 man i have the impression that the dmg of mages didnt really improve since a long time , my gear went from 232 to 245 and i experience that mages are in
    icc 25 ( at least in our raid) on the bottom especially on saurfang.

i see our other members like rogues , hunters , warriors , moonkins doing at least 500 - 1k dps more than mages.

so I'd like to know from you whether I suck at pressing arkanblast 4 times and then a missile barrage proc (if everything goes well) or the class ?

p.s. right now im sitting at 2800 spellpower , 803 haste rating ,hitcap and 30% crit unbuffed and i do around 6 to 6,5k dps in 25 man or some times worse.
    Mages are just fine, u may just be undergeared or need to look at your spec. An Arcane Mage in my guild pulls 7k+ even single target in 25 ICC and on Sarufang he handles 2 of the 5 adds all by himself allowing more ppl to stay on the boss and he's only behind the rogues on the DPS charts for that fight.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

15+ Year Old Account

Honestly, the only fight that you should really worry about your DPS is the Festergut fight. Otherwise, have fun killing easy bosses.

mages are occupied on the first quarter because they have to, kill spikes on marrowgar, avoid flames on marrowgar. Lady Deathwhisper we have to deal with adds, deal with death and decay. Gunship battle its just mostly small adds with low health and you cant really keep up an rotation with the health. and Deatbringer you have to kill bloodbeast, frost nova them, CoC them. So you can't really keep an rotation at the first 4 bosses, so they are lower than they should

Why the hell people keep saying mage sucks here and rogue sucks there? Dps doesn't always measure efficiency of class. Mage killing adds or freeing raid members from some traps doing 2k dps less than rogue sitting all the time on boss is as good as that rogue; he's just doing different job, that's everything. And also class is only as good as player.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthets
    Question is tons tons faster than doing instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igantinos
    still no rouges