Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret Pallys can tank?!!! :O

Okay, so I recently started a pally, and my brother who has played about 2 years more than I have gave me a prot spec to work with so that I could instance grind to 80 as tank. A few days later he sent me a link for two ret specs claiming that they would be capable of tanking (assuming the player was in full tank gear with appropriate stats and NOT dps gear) I just wanted some feedback on the talents chosen, and if anyone is daring enough to try it, what their results were... No worries about my safety though, I'm still going Prot...

(For the DK lovers)Two handed tank:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin#faNrqhMCmKMm,,11159

For those who still want onehanders and a sheild:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin#faNrOGLs1wZ11,,11159

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Ret Pallys can tank?!!! :O

251+ geared Rets can tank heroics up to about H PoS or H HoR with a decent Healer. Anything else, we can't tank.

Deleted

You can tank any hc as ret, even in full ret gear you should be good with a good healer.
    Nothing else... ^^

did anyone even read the post? It was about leveling... not heroics
    Waiting on Cata
    SCII: Naret
    WoW: Naret, Destromath US

For the first 30-40 levels, pretty much any class backed up by a healer (even clothies to an extent) can tank. For plate-wearing classes this is especially true.

10+ Year Old Account

I used to tank VanCleef on my rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

up until about lvl 40 you just need anyone in mail or a bear to tank all the instances. doesnt matter if they use a shield or a 2h'er tbh. just have people assist you and keep a consecrate down with your righteous fury down and u can tank packs of 2-4 mobs easily.
    a small man carrying a large stick still dies to a shotgun in the face.

If you toss on a sword and board at lower levels a healer won't have much issue keeping you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    For the first 30-40 levels, pretty much any class backed up by a healer (even clothies to an extent) can tank. For plate-wearing classes this is especially true.
    Now you'll just be invincible.

I just tanked VH HC as Ret in mostly 213 and (free epix) 232 dps gear. No problem as long as you have a healer who is ready for it.
    Patch Notes
    Raid & Dungeons

*Scholomance is now spelled "Sko-lo-mance" to alleviate confusion about its pronunciation. In addition, a sound file has been added outside the instance portal which will phonetically sound out the name upon zoning.

*Edwin Vancleef will occasionally shout "Hey you guys!" as players fight their way through Deadmines.

so if its about leveling, whys there 2 "example"-trees showing speccs made for lvl 80?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokoshuu
    Okay, so I recently started a pally, and my brother who has played about 2 years more than I have gave me a prot spec to work with so that I could instance grind to 80 as tank. A few days later he sent me a link for two ret specs claiming that they would be capable of tanking (assuming the player was in full tank gear with appropriate stats and NOT dps gear) I just wanted some feedback on the talents chosen, and if anyone is daring enough to try it, what their results were... No worries about my safety though, I'm still going Prot...
    Nothing "daring" about tanking pre-80 as Ret.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

Quote Originally Posted by Narit
    did anyone even read the post? It was about leveling... not heroics
    I found this funny too, people can be so full of themselves... who was the first poster again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    251+ geared Rets can tank heroics up to about H PoS or H HoR with a decent Healer. Anything else, we can't tank.
    oh... him. :-\
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

you don't need 251++ geared to tank heroics with decent healer, I've tanked in ret spc with fury up with holy priest healer in my pvp gear (relentless/furious) just fine... I chainpulled too. It's just matter of luck and how much the healer pays attention to you =P

as for instnace grinding to 80, its definitely possible as I tanked as ret in ret gears until I got to normal UK dungeon. I think from that point you'd want to stack up some prot gears to help mitigate dmg. I don't remember speccing into prot spec at all however, I just went all retribution when I did this =P

Thanks for the posts all. I appreciate your input very much =)
    Especially those who mentioned Heroics and so forth,
    Those were the ones I was refering to as 'daring enough to try' ;P
    So thanks for reading between the lines =D

With PvP gear it'll work fine.
    Don't go ret specc with prot gear though, it'll lower your dps and threat.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Quote Originally Posted by Komati
    I tired just that once, to see if I could still do ok dps in that spec while not taking a huge bit of damage.
    I was interesting to do, but I took more damage and did less damage than my straight prot spec...it was fun picking and prioritzing holy damage moves and seals to keep threat though.

I took about as much damage as a poorly gear'd dk...I was in my EH prot set minus shild and 1 hander ....using my dps 2 hander weapon and still def capped.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Komati
    On my healadin, I've healed ret "tanks" through heroics when the tank DCd more than once. Sure, they're a little squishy... but a geared ret is still quite capable of taking enough hits for me to keep them alive. (And threat really isn't an issue.)

To be honest, though, I've also tanked simple heroics on my 'lock in demo spec with PvP gear... just have to watch that I've got one taunt, only available in Metaform.

Ret tank-speccs without Vindication, yeah awesome!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Hokoshuu
    Thanks for the posts all. I appreciate your input very much =)
    Especially those who mentioned Heroics and so forth,
    Those were the ones I was refering to as 'daring enough to try' ;P
    So thanks for reading between the lines =D
    If you're writing anything on the internet, don't expect people to "read between the lines."

Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

As mentioned tanking as ret (anything which isn't a tank and insanely squishy) basicly req a good healer. I tank from time to time as ret in pvp gear and using SoCommand and the threat isn't an issue and my dmg is quite high, would say 4k on singletarget or around that. If it is true for HCs I very much think it is true in low lvl dungeons, just make sure you're critt immune I say.

Happy tanking
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.