Thread: Blood Vs Unholy

Blood Vs Unholy

I have fallen in love with Blood, I leveled as it and probably didn't die more than once the entire time, it's such a survival spec and I love it. What my main concern is that I know for a fact Unholy beats out Blood, so many have told me and explained it to me but whenever I spec Unholy I find my dps lacking, my rotation I'm sure is off, and I've use the rotation from - http://www.ensidia.com/home/guides/d...-dps-guide-33/ with very little success, I was hoping for some suggestions and whether I should really dump Blood and totally work on Unholy. Please keep in mind this is an ALT so my gear choices are limited but I am working my way towards possibly making it my main, bored of my Shaman big time.

Thanks for any help/advice/lulz/trolls etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz
    GoD isn't so great for unholy
    Quote Originally Posted by HoX
    i dont understamd ???

Re: Blood Vs Unholy

Quote Originally Posted by Trolltrolltroll
    Unholy may be "better", but if you don't like playing it, can't get comfortable with the rotation, and output lower dps than you do in blood, then blood is more dps for you and always will be.

Don't sacrifice enjoying a playstyle for a few hundred DPS unless you absolutely need it for some reason. Don't force yourself to conform to the epeen majority if it means you're going to dislike playing the spec, and won't be comfortable playing it. All that means is that it will be a character you bench in favor of playing one of your others.
    I completely agree with you on this, I didn't enjoy the Unholy rotation AT ALL. I found Blood rotation much more enjoyable, and I have stuck with it. I am just really looking to either up my blood dps or maybe get some info and really buckle down and really experience Unholy to better make my decision on whether or not to stick with Blood or move on.

So what could I do to up my Blood dps? Are my glyphs alright? My rotation is IT PS HS HS DS Dump DS HS HS HS Dump. If I remember correctly. I am currently playing around with the DRW Glyph, but I don't see it helping me as much as I thought it would...

Any stats I should really go for on gear? I am saving up for the frost badge trinket because the haste on it seems appealing for Blood.

Thanks.
    i dont understamd ???

I am saving up for the frost badge trinket because the haste on it seems appealing for Blood.
    Haste isn't that great for blood, but you do want to gear for strength (attack power) so it's a decent trinket if you have nothing else available. What you want to do is get yourself as much attack power as you bloody can, and focus on armor penetration gear over haste. Most if not all of your gear should have armor pen on it. By the time you get to full 232 gear and maybe a few pieces from icecrown or frost badges you'll probably be at the point where armor pen gemming outdoes strength gemming.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone
    Any stats I should really go for on gear? I am saving up for the frost badge trinket because the haste on it seems appealing for Blood.
    Tier 10 is your first priority. No matter what you may see on the other gear, get two pieces of tier 10 first. Haste is a pretty poor stat for DKs in general right now, so that trinket is far worse than most of your other options.

My advice to you is the same that I give everyone who asks about spec and rotation:

Take your time to learn about runes, how they work and why, don't just blindly follow a rotation thinking that will optimize your dps.

Get a rune mod, which helps you time your runes, because cooldowns on your bars (as you most likely have noticed) is very much off.

Depending on what spec you want to go with, I would suggest you also read the threads on EJ about what stats are best for what spec and so on.

I saw you mentioning saving up for the haste trinket, but tbh. you would be better of with the armorpenetration trinket from toc5.

Here's a link where you can read about stat weights and other nice stuff for blood DKs.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t61176-b...updated_3_3_a/

Hope it helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis
    Tier 10 is your first priority. No matter what you may see on the other gear, get two pieces of tier 10 first. Haste is a pretty poor stat for DKs in general right now, so that trinket is far worse than most of your other options.
    Well that is not true. For Unholy for example haste is almost as good as crit but whats making the frost-trinket not so desireable is the time it takes to get the full use of it imo.

I used to be blood like you and have played it until 3.3. How do you compare the dmg? In heroics or raids? For me Unholy do not do so much damage in hcs simply because the mobs dies to fast, often the pack of mobs is almost dead when you have put up your diseases & pest, in icc10 or 25 its a whole different matter.

haste was good for UH pre 3.3 now it's nowhere near as good as it was i guess UH stats are str crit arpen

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis
    i dont think that this holds true for an unholy alt.

4pt9 is still a very powerfull bonus (and on its own stronger than 2pt10) and given how easy it is to get triumph badges now i would suggest at aiming at 4pt9 first, even it is only the 232 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Alandris
    haste was good for UH pre 3.3 now it's nowhere near as good as it was i guess UH stats are str crit arpen
    as somebody already said before - haste isnt as good as it was in 3.2 but crit is neither (without 4pt9 even less).
    armor penetration is now the best stat (after hit to cap und strenght obiously)

I love blood spec, i always will do..

but some fight do require you to go above and beyond (like anub heroic) a change spec to unholy.

In Blood spec on anub heroic fight i can quite easily reach 9-10k dps with the standard rotation adding in a few blood boils for AoE. single target damage seems to be slightly higher than unholy however i am still learning to perfect the rotation.

In Unholy spec i had never actually played unholy and only info i had on rotation was off a fellow dk in raid at the time and still managed 9 - 10k dps ( and after a lot of pulls ) i had adjusted to the spec and rotation. all of a sudden i was hitting 10 - 13k dps.

I still find that blood dps is better for single target however my gear is not build for the spec so i am really unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadgar
    I love blood spec, i always will do..

but some fight do require you to go above and beyond (like anub heroic) a change spec to unholy.

In Blood spec on anub heroic fight i can quite easily reach 9-10k dps with the standard rotation adding in a few blood boils for AoE. single target damage seems to be slightly higher than unholy however i am still learning to perfect the rotation.

In Unholy spec i had never actually played unholy and only info i had on rotation was off a fellow dk in raid at the time and still managed 9 - 10k dps ( and after a lot of pulls ) i had adjusted to the spec and rotation. all of a sudden i was hitting 10 - 13k dps.

Anub heroic?

You must mean 25-man Anub.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ac...=Ancient+Lords

part of your dps going down might be because you broke your 4p t9 to toss on your t10 shoulders. just sayin. that 4p t9 bonus is a rather big increase.

I am currently using 4pc t9 and I don't see myself getting t10 just yet. I'm aiming to get the scorpion from fos if it ever drops, and also the frost badge trinket, or should I get a greatness card?
    i dont understamd ???

In short, here's my view on the matter - go with what feels most comfortable. However, be open minded about it. As in, be willing to optimize that spec, learn all there is to be learned about that spec and keep improving your rotation for that spec.

Blood and UH are both very fine specs, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Slagge

Anub heroic?

You must mean 25-man Anub.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ac...=Ancient+Lords
    yeah man i mean 25 man heroic. I do use my 4PT9 for unholy though.

Doing Saurfang 25 last night ( my raid group isnt the best but they have raid times that suit me great ) we struggled with the enrage timer. We let the first 2 marked people die and i think that was a good idea until we hit the enrage. Any tips for me as a Dk on this fight anyone?

Dps was as follows as far as melee were concerned.

1st Rogue (Mute spec) 7,987 dps
    2nd Me (unholy spec) 7,910 dps
    3rd Rogue (mute spec ) 7,680 dps
    4th Shaman (enhance ) 6,549 dps
    5th Warrior (Fury) 6,489 dps

yeah man i mean 25 man heroic. I do use my 4PT9 for unholy though.

Doing Saurfang 25 last night ( my raid group isnt the best but they have raid times that suit me great ) we struggled with the enrage timer. We let the first 2 marked people die and i think that was a good idea until we hit the enrage. Any tips for me as a Dk on this fight anyone?

Dps was as follows as far as melee were concerned.

1st Rogue (Mute spec) 7,987 dps
    2nd Me (unholy spec) 7,910 dps
    3rd Rogue (mute spec ) 7,680 dps
    4th Shaman (enhance ) 6,549 dps
    5th Warrior (Fury) 6,489 dps

How did you manage to play Anub on heroic when you have just killed one single boss in ToGC10 and none in ToGC25?

Quote Originally Posted by Slagge
    How did you manage to play Anub on heroic when you have just killed one single boss in ToGC10 and none in ToGC25?
    I only joined the riad to help, my raid group arnt good enough to do heroics... And yes it was a fail try.

omg troll troll troll troll

Riight.
    biym

I only joined the riad to help, my raid group arnt good enough to do heroics... And yes it was a fail try.

omg troll troll troll troll

Im not surprised you failed really.

The maturity is so thick in here right now, I can barely breathe.
    i dont understamd ???

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone
    The maturity is so thick in here right now, I can barely breathe.
    Then please don't