Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Prot Warrior PvE raid gemming question

'blablabla stamina is the best stat, only gem stamina blablabla'
    *5 minutes later*
    'my threat is to low and i have to eat every single hit QQ'

now on topic, i go for def/stamn for yellow for the boost in avoidance and expertise/stamn for red. agil rly isnt my kinda stat..only gives abit of armor and crit, and strenght is optional provided your dodge capped. at that point expertise looses half its charm. gemming parry/dodge is only smart if you rly want to maximize survivability but still want the socket bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman
    'blablabla stamina is the best stat, only gem stamina blablabla'
    *5 minutes later*
    'my threat is to low and i have to eat every single hit QQ'
    .. blah blah misinformed tank blah blah
    ACTUALLY.. gemming def stam in yellow sockets in 264 gear tends to be bad because in 264 gear you'll have over 590 defense rating if you reach the soft cap for expertise without gemming then agi/stam is best for red sockets.
    you cant ignore how good stam and armor are over avoidance for fights like festergut and any hard hitting bosses whether it be magic or physical damage. you get enough avoidance off gear.

Any warrior that advises you to socket straight 30 stam is a complete and utter idiot. Your effective health might be decent but your threat will be in the tube and you'll have next to no avoidance. The trick is to balance. I really don't advise socketing too much for Def because you'll be well over cap and beyond that it just goes into avoidance which, while useful, isn't the most effective way to do things. Instead I advise the hit gems because you'll notice a VAST increase in your threat if you can run a minimum of 8% hit in tanking gear. Red gems are again pretty easy to go for, exp + stam is where it's going to suit you best, the dodge cap for exp is a beautiful thing to hit for a warrior tank. I personally run 10.81% hit chance and 26 exp in tanking gear and I've yet to find somebody able to pull off me including other tanks. After that, I'd go for the Parry gems these days just because of the reduction to dodge in ICC keeping in mind that if you can run 10% after Chill of the Throne you're in damned good shape but don't forget your other stats.

As for your meta it really depends, if you're running at a base of around 1800 damage blocked unbuffed and you're defense cap'd I'd go for the armor and stam gem, being that it'll prove more useful in ICC boss fights compared to the def gem. Don't forget that adding more armor gives you more attack power which means more threat.

This all being said, there's a few things you can also try out if you really want to be creative in your tanking. A few tanks and I have been throwing around some haste gems in our yellow gear sockets just to see how it effects our threat and rage. I DO NOT advise this if you're running under 37k health MINIMUM unbuffed without hit and exp cap. It's basically a fun stat to play with that's lead to some pretty cool threat in raids, personally I've been able to hold 12k TPS for an entire boss fight with nobody coming close to pulling off me. That also being said, I did it for fun to see what would happen. My single best advice to you is this, play the class your way, have fun with it and take what people say into consideration not as law. Everything has it's place no matter what you do, find the balance of stats that work best for your play style.

Hope this helped a little bit, cheers!
    Blizzard, please nerf paper, scissors are fine.

Regards,
    Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto
    gemming dodge>?

no

-20% dodge in icc - str increases your block though the cap is changed, dodge is not really a survival stat in icc.

what is expertise but a threat stat?
    nothing wrong with str.

straight stam is the better choice tbh.

A lot of bosses have abilities that can be reset by parrying your attacks, therefore, the less expertise you have, the more likely you are to get hit by harder hitting attacks..

Quote Originally Posted by Phation
    Any warrior that advises you to socket straight 30 stam is a complete and utter idiot. Your effective heal might be decent but your threat will be in the tube and you'll have next to no avoidance.

I have zero threat issues (like people aren't even CLOSE)in my 10 man runs and the DPS I run with sit in the 6-7Ks. I also sit at 27% dodge, 21.8% parry, 22% block, hit capped and 25exp. /shrug I guess I'm an idiot since I gem all stam.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS

I have zero threat issues (like people aren't even CLOSE)in my 10 man runs and the DPS I run with sit in the 6-7Ks. I also sit at 27% dodge, 21.8% parry, 22% block, hit capped and 25exp. /shrug I guess I'm an idiot since I gem all stam.
    This, if you're having threat issue because you lost 2-3 expertise through gems or 30 or so str, your doing it wrong. If you have to worry about threat at all period, your bad.

Also, to the guy who said dodge is useless in ICC, no, no it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS

You said it for me, I don't need to. You run 10 man what? ToC? Naxx? Any 25 man raid will rip agro off you in a heartbeat. There's more than a few DPS I run with pulling 10k TPS in 10's. I'd be willing to bet I could also rip agro off you myself in DPS or tanking gear. 30 stam stacking is for those people who aren't clear on how to balance their stats accordingly. I run 43-46k health raid buffed and I don't stack stamina. Things I've never had said to me in a raid, you don't have enough health, the tank can't keep agro or I wish we had another tank. The reason for this is due to my balance of everything, not just stamina, straight 30 stam gems aren't going to make you an better of a tank. They're going to make people like me look at you and laugh. I run 11% dodge in ICC raids (after Chill of the Throne), with 28% chance to parry and 23.6% chance to block, 38.8k health unbuffed, hit capped, exp capped. I've never lost agro, I don't know what that feels like. Please, tell me, how does your 30 stam stack up?
    Blizzard, please nerf paper, scissors are fine.

Regards,
    Rock

You said it for me, I don't need to. You run 10 man what? ToC? Naxx? Any 25 man raid will rip agro off you in a heartbeat. There's more than a few DPS I run with pulling 10k TPS in 10's. I'd be willing to bet I could also rip agro off you myself in DPS or tanking gear. 30 stam stacking is for those people who aren't clear on how to balance their stats accordingly. I run 43-46k health raid buffed and I don't stack stamina. Things I've never had said to me in a raid, you don't have enough health, the tank can't keep agro or I wish we had another tank. The reason for this is due to my balance of everything, not just stamina, straight 30 stam gems aren't going to make you an better of a tank. They're going to make people like me look at you and laugh. I run 11% dodge in ICC raids (after Chill of the Throne), with 28% chance to parry and 23.6% chance to block, 38.8k health unbuffed, hit capped, exp capped. I've never lost agro, I don't know what that feels like. Please, tell me, how does your 30 stam stack up?
    While I agree with your sentiment and spirit. You sound like a douche and jerk.

I completely agree that once you achieve a high enough survivable health level then it's far more effective to gem for avoidance and threat.

However you're way over hit, there's no need to ever run at such a high hit rating and for threat if you are gemming hit/stam you'd be better off going with crit/stam, ag/stam or even straight stamina depending on the content you're facing.

Now I'll fully admit to people who have the stam trinkets from brewfest and laughing at them, but it doesn't change the fact that stamina is the one stat we have that has no diminishing returns. As such it will remain the best and easiest way to add survivability to a tank.

Also my guess is that you're geared just fine for the normal fights but your stamina will be lacking for the hard modes. Especially on fights where they start throwing around magical damage.

Ive done and completed ALL the 10 man raids available, including HMs (except Algalon lawl Im a noob) and I have done completely fine. I sit at about 37K unbuffed in ICC with about 13.8% to dodge with chill of the throne. I do not use stam trinkets in ICC, I use dodge. I'd like to see your armory link when it comes back up because I would really like to compare gear and gem choices. And dps pulling 10K tps CONSISTENTLY? REALLY? Like not on trash right? Sure, you must mean single target, like where it actually matters... Wow. Awesome.

What I don't get is why you have such an attitude like you're some God's gift to tanking and if people don't do things your way they are "idiots" or suck at tanking (ie can't hold aggro). I literally have ZERO threat issues and I do not glyph for deva or vig because of it. If I did have issues that is where I would go first even before gems. I still don't see how gemming def/stam or anything OVER straight stam really effects threat, especially if I am hit and exp (soft)capped. I feel I gain plenty of balance on my gear and my 10 man versions of gear lack the stam compared to 25 man equivalents. But silly, idiot me obviously doesn't do it right regardless of how successful my group is. Awesome Godlike Phation could RIP!(FUCKING RIP!!!!!!!!) threat from me because he is so awesome. Well bud, I hate to shit in your corn flakes but you would be the fucking FIRST to do so. I'm not going to get further into the cock size race with you. I'll back out gracefully, you win, your E-dick is bigger and I suck and I'll go back to sucking and beating the encounters set before me with my sucky ways.

Stam.