Thread: Marking addon

Marking addon

Anyone know a good marking addon? I use Simple Raid Target Icons, but I cant mark if I'm not the leader...and in pugs many times frustrating to ask 'make me leader for marking' because the answer: 'you can mark if you isn't the leader' then the explaining... so help if you got a good one
    Thanks

Re: Marking addon

Just because you have an addon, you'll still never be able to put marks in a raid if you're not RL or assistant.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aman%27Thul&n=Vuldin

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511
    cummunism is an utopia that cannot be applied to real life. fortunately, video games aren't real life; therefore it can be applied there, making things more fair.

Everyone in 5 mans can mark nowadays. In raids u will need promote.

15+ Year Old Account

Easiest thing to do to fix this to work for non party leaders in 3.3 is to do a search and replace on SimpleRaidTargetIcons.lua.

Search for
    Code:
    isPartyLeader()
    Replace with
    Code:
    true

quoted from the comment section of the curse-webpage of SRTI. works perfectly for 5 mans (= you will always get the menu and will always be able to mark, independent if you are the leader or not). in Raids you will get always the menu - just as in 5 mans. However, the marks will only be set if you are at least promoted.

You won't get any errors with this, it just works fine besides that little raid-issue. But I'm very sure you can live with that. :P

get oPie. It's awesome and insanly fast for marking and other things that will keep your action bars clean (professions, mage portals).
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

I just checked that addon at curse and it has built-in leader detection and restricts use if you are not. It's not been updated for over a year (at curse anyways) so its understandable since the requirement for party leader was dropped more recently.

One idea though is to "hack" the addon and removing such restrictions, but I dont know how it will act if you do.
    One way of doing this is adding the line

local IsPartyLeader = function() return true; end;

to the top of SimpleTargetIcons.lua

I haven't tested it properly and the code is just off the top of my head, but in theory it should override all party leader checks within the addon effectivly tricking it to think that you are party leader and thus letting you mark using your addon even if you are not party leader. This will not work in raids ofc, since there you actually NEED leader or assist.

Might be worth a shot if you like that addon, but I can't guarantee that it will work.

edit: or do as xebtria suggested, the results should be the same

how can a raider life with a raid issue...

and well who the hell needs icons in 5mans...

thx for replies m8s, ill try them later
    /cheer

QuickMarks.
    Signature size violated forum rules.

why use a addon for marking?
    sorry, I really really really really really don't get this one. either mark manually or if your using those marks so much you could actually write your own macros. bind them to your f7 through f12 buttons or something. have just pressing the button give the icon, holding shift give an explanation in party or /s say what you want people to do with that target. so just press the button, hold shift and press the same button and violá (or however it's spelled): you don't need a addon.

you don't need addons to mark targets.
    you just don't!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria

quoted from the comment section of the curse-webpage of SRTI. works perfectly for 5 mans (= you will always get the menu and will always be able to mark, independent if you are the leader or not). in Raids you will get always the menu - just as in 5 mans. However, the marks will only be set if you are at least promoted.

You won't get any errors with this, it just works fine besides that little raid-issue. But I'm very sure you can live with that. :P
    Afaik you shouldn't modify Blizz's files.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

You don't even need a macro to mark with. Raid icons can be keybound through the blizzard keybindings menu. I have Skull and Cross bound to my numberpad so I can quickly mark my selected target if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Samin
    get oPie. It's awesome and insanly fast for marking and other things that will keep your action bars clean (professions, mage portals).
    This.
    This space is available for rent!

Quote Originally Posted by tatienne
    you don't need addons to mark targets.
    you just don't!
    No you don't "need" an addon for marking. But I also don't "need" Pitbull, Bartender, Omnicc, MikCombatText, RoguePowerBars etc.. - they're just really nice to have.

I use SimpleRaidTargetIcons myself and honestly it's so good I find myself hoping it's going to become part of the default UI. Hold down ctrl, click on a target, get a radial menu with the marks on, click the mark you want. 1 button press, 2 click, done in a second without even having to move your hand or lose your current target.

All the buttons on my keyboard that are easy to press are bound to spells. All the buttons on my mouse are used too. If I went with the bind to numpad method I'd have to lift my hand off my mouse, push the numpad button, return hand to mouse. No thanks, it's just too slow and cumbersome.

Apparently no one knows that you can bind keys within the basic Blizzard UI to set marks (ie: skull, X, square, etc.).

Go to your keybind menu and just scroll about halfway down. Usually you only need 1-4 marks max, and the f9-f12 keys aren't bound with anything important by default, just use them.

Best marking addon that I know of is "Baud Mark" http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...baud-mark.aspx
    Though it suffers from the same problem as previous posts and OP's

Gonna have a look on that LUA thingy and see if that fixes the cant-mark-unless-leader-"bug"
    Azeroth and Kalimdor and Northrend and Outland

Quote Originally Posted by Fargan
    No you don't "need" an addon for marking. But I also don't "need" Pitbull, Bartender, Omnicc, MikCombatText, RoguePowerBars etc.. - they're just really nice to have.

I use SimpleRaidTargetIcons myself and honestly it's so good I find myself hoping it's going to become part of the default UI. Hold down ctrl, click on a target, get a radial menu with the marks on, click the mark you want. 1 button press, 2 click, done in a second without even having to move your hand or lose your current target.

All the buttons on my keyboard that are easy to press are bound to spells. All the buttons on my mouse are used too. If I went with the bind to numpad method I'd have to lift my hand off my mouse, push the numpad button, return hand to mouse. No thanks, it's just too slow and cumbersome.
    so basically you want to scroll through a list while tanking and that doesn't complicate things?
    what marks other than skull are you usually using in a normal fight?
    what spell do you have bound to shift + control + mousebutton4?
    see what I'm getting at?

while having the moon and whatnot easily availiable before a pull you don't really need many raidmarks after the pull has been made... just one or maybe, at max, two (the second one being a if-you-hit-this-mob-I-will-not-and-I-really-mean-this-I-will-not-taunt-or-with-any-other-means-try-to-regain-aggro-of-this-mob marking with some way of stating that rule for the dpsers.

I use Skull Me. Just skulls your current target. Just remember to turn it off if you aren't the tank

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a.../skull-me.aspx