Maximizing of your class

WE all like to maximize our class don't we? Like to gem right, gear right, itemize right, ect. but... little bit of a rant here, is it going to far?

When I go into a raid on my mage, Sometimes other mages call me a noob for picking up slow: saying is a PvP talent. Sure, I know its a PvP talent. Yes i'm sacrificing 3% spirit for it which, so long i'm using T9, is some crit. However at the same time I know that that little bit of a crit is not going to make that huge of a difference.

On my priest, I gem whatever I think I need. I gem both intel and spirit for blue sockets since I switch between disc and holy! I sometimes get called a noob for not stacking spellpower: but then I ask why I need so much spellpower when I definately have the 'power' in my healing to keep people up (and for emergencies, I can use my engineering accelerators + power infusion). But I still have people laughing at me for not gemming all spellpower or ect.

Honestly i'm finding people to be a little to anal about how things should be done. Day after day I see people yelling at each other about 'wrong gems' or 'bad enchants' or 'Those trinkets are bad! theres better in X place'. Not every fresh 80 is going to think 'hey I should go to EJ and look up my class so I can know all the mathematical proof of what is best!'. Most are going to go 'Yay i'm level 80! Now... spellpower boosts damage, but I keep running out of mana, so i'm going to get some intellect.

Its nice to explain to someone with logic what they are doing might not be optimal, but some people are starting to be way to anal about small numbers.
    Anyways heres the SS of me topping chart on my mage + armory. Yes it was twins, but considering the fact everyone else in the raid was in 232-264 every slot... (In the rest of the instance I was # 1-3 on the charts. This is also 25man.)

Armory is currently down so i'll edit later to make it less ranty + add the armory link.

Since you can't see it: I'm using Cowl of the Troll something, a blue from... DTK I believe. Reanimator's cloak (another blue), Cleric's Linen Shoes, Cannoneer's Fuselight, Mark of the War Prisoner (something like that). A IL 200 ring from I believe H COS, and there were a couple other low IL gear but i can't htink of it.

Yes, it is true that maximizing your class may be the 'best' and most extreme. But i've found that in the long run if you just play your class to its fullest your still topping others in DPS. This may not work for ToGC and ICC hardmodes... but if I were to go into those I would most likely try a bit harder.

Editted quite a bit to make it easier to read. Sorry about that: I had JUST woke up and crawled up to the computer with that in mind.
    Ones brain cannot co-pilot if ones mouth is on auto-pilot.

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Maximizing of your class

So your rant is about... pointing out that as long as you know what you're doing..
    Sorry, what?

Unless your doing hardmode content, people are a bit to anal about maximizing your class.

The big question is how those other mages can fail at using 2 buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by kliffharry
    The big question is how those other mages can fail at using 2 buttons.
    3, don't forget the macro of cooldowns! (its in the upper left corner for me)

I've found cooldown management is where some mages lose out.

Yes, i am sure its hard to have your imbah gear, get all the good orbs, do 11K DPS on a mage.. (cmon, u r a mage), then just wear all the blue shit u have and post here..

Although I love being accused of being a liar, I am not a liar and would prefer it if you didn't make an accusation. You can check my armory anytime you like (Xiuhcoatl, Exodar Server) and you will over tiem see blues replaced 1 by 1 as they should be.

Also i'm not here bragging about pulling 11k, i'm saying people who are not doing hardmodes are being to harsh to people and being a little to anal about class maximizing.

People always want the ideal of thinking they know what they're doing.
    When it really doesnt matter to high extents.

Well, when you're in a end-game raiding guild, people tend to be a bit anal, naturally. A bit of slack is okay, I guess, anyway.

Also, lol @ Saraph.

"Saraph spreads her legs. EAT MY FISH."

KEK

topping meters means nothing, unless its WMO WWS meters and you're setting world records. Coming from high end raiding background (the old high end, not the new rubbish) you're either optimal or you're inefficient. Being the best in the raid isn't a very high goal, aim to be the best you can be, aim to be the best on the server, of your class, in the world. If that is a bit too lofty a goal for you, or chasing and obtaining goals is not your thing than by all means play how you choose. However don't be upset when people tell you "you're doing it wrong" when you are indeed doing it wrong. For elitists there is only one way to play, min/max micromanagement pro play. It's not that we all follow some guide or spreadsheet, we write the guides and spreadsheets and share them with the community. Optimally playing your class changes all the time, we're the ones doing the data testing to find out what is exactly optimal with the new trinket, with the poison changes, with the new nerfs, with the new tier bonus etc. Optimal is a one way street, you're either on it or you're on a dead end road.

Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric
    Optimal is a one way street, you're either on it or you're on a dead end road.

There are MANY roads to optimal.

E.g. on my dest lock I spec Soul Link because it is a DPS upgrade. Thats right. In INCREASES my dps. Sure simcraft is going to say that it doesn't increase dps at all, but simcraft isn't standing in fire for a split second longer to finish the cast without dying / stressing healers too much.

On a DK alt I always glyph disease for Unholy and Blood Single Target DPS. Sure another glyph gives a theoretical DPS upgrade, but the main benefit I get from the glyph is that I can refresh diseases with one rune. I am much less likely to stuff a rotation, and if I have a "oh shit" moment, I am more likely to have runes available. That means my mistakes cost less DPS, which is a DPS increase over the better glyphs.

You're speccing and choosing talents to overcome poor play, this is not optimal. As I said before, you're either optimal or inferior.

Not sure what the point of posting a picture of you being an arcane mage is here, the only other class that gives you the most dps for the least skill is a muti rogue

I'll agree with you on some points though, utility spells are utility spells, and if you can sacrifice it without sacrificing damage, please, pick them up. Every destruction warlock without shadowfury in their build, every arcane mage without slow, every boomkin without typhoon, I weep for you and your build, because even though you might be "optimized", in a situation where those spells could be used, you are useless.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)