Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Making a tank - need advice

Hello.

Firstly, if this is posted in a wrong forum, or is a bad topic, my apologies.

I have been thinking about making a tank for a while now, and finally decided to try it, I have saved enough badges to be able to afford the heirlooms (shoulders, chest and a weapon), but I am a bit unsure as to wether I should go with a druid or a warrior.

I would like a 'easy' tanking class, one that I will actually end up using, instead of chickening out and sticking with my offspec only.

Any help on what tanking class is more beginner friendly, but also that would be easier at 80 is most welcomed.

Sunna

Re: Making a tank - need advice

Only thing I can really tell you is avoid warriors. They're not always user friendly, I'd say try out a Paladin, they're relatively fun and don't have a steep learning curve.
    Blizzard, please nerf paper, scissors are fine.

Regards,
    Rock

having played a druid tank myself i can say its quite easy although i can't compare that to a warrior since i haven't played it. oh and paladin tanking is easy too but it can become very boring in my opinion (although all paladin specs are boring atm and yes my main is a pala but playing my alts atm)

Having played both Druid and Paladin high end tanking, i can say Druid is easyer to start off with. They have huge health pools with little or no effort. be warned though, when you first start tanking, AoE tanking seems almost none exsistnt. Gear seems a bit harder to find as well. From what ive seen of Warrior tanking, stay well away from them for the time being, unless you want to be one of the hardcore who roll with them anyway. IMHO if you want easy tanking, good gear range, play pally. I am dropping my druid to play my pally.

Well. Having all 4 classes. I'd say go with warrior. Warrior is by far the most fun tanking class. All the others will become boring really quick.

Deleted

Ranked from Easy to hard.

1) Druid
    2) Paladin
    3) Death Knight
    4) Warrior

Ranked from Fun to horrible to play.

1) Warrior
    2) Paladin
    3) Druid
    4) Death Knight

As the above poster, i play all 4 classes as tank aswell. For raids mainly i would 100% pick a warrior, if all your doing is heroics a paladin might be best to start with. But a warrior is also fun, but quite a bit harder to play properly in heroics due to somewhat lacking aoe abilities

I agree with the above post (Yet I'm a druid tank and still have lots of fun with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorune

1) Druid
    2) Paladin
    3) Death Knight
    4) Warrior

1) Warrior
    2) Paladin
    3) Druid
    4) Death Knight

As the above poster, i play all 4 classes as tank aswell. For raids mainly i would 100% pick a warrior, if all your doing is heroics a paladin might be best to start with. But a warrior is also fun, but quite a bit harder to play properly in heroics due to somewhat lacking aoe abilities
    QFT
    But, if I may say, paladin is much more interesting once you start to use utility abilities (divine sacrifice, hand of sacrifice, hand of protection, hand of salvation) on your party instead of just keeping aggro (seems pretty stupid but not many pally tanks do that). For the same reason (loads of utility) pala is fun to play retri too. Never bothered playing holy though.
    Avoid drood tanking like hell, unless you want to fall asleep during a raid.
    Warrior is fun but meh, may be difficult to gear for tanking and sometimes it can be very stressful tanking with all this happy-trigger dps aoe-pulling and running around.

1) Druid
    2) Paladin
    3) Death Knight
    4) Warrior

1) Warrior
    2) Paladin
    3) Druid
    4) Death Knight

I don't understand all the hate towards DK tanking. Really high dps and high threat, the only thing they really lack atm is good alpha threat (snap aggro, think Shield Slam or Hammer of Righteousness). And everyone is essentially 'squishy' compared to Paladins atm, since they have 2 lives.

I find DKs to actually be quite enjoyable compared to the others and I have tanked with all 4, yet everyone puts them at the bottom of every list. And I haven't seen a feral that could actually hold aggro on anything in ages, maybe it's just my bad luck or they are broken (I dps only on my druid these days, so I wouldn't know ;p).

I am liking the sound of warrior, but I am what you would consider a 'slow' moving player. I am not very fast at movement and changing targets, so I am thinking druid might be better for me for those reasons.

Thanks for all the nice replies so far, I appreciate them alot, and read them.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sazabius
    I don't understand all the hate towards DK tanking. Really high dps and high threat, the only thing they really lack atm is good alpha threat (snap aggro, think Shield Slam or Hammer of Righteousness). And everyone is essentially 'squishy' compared to Paladins atm, since they have 2 lives.

I find DKs to actually be quite enjoyable compared to the others and I have tanked with all 4, yet everyone puts them at the bottom of every list. And I haven't seen a feral that could actually hold aggro on anything in ages, maybe it's just my bad luck or they are broken (I dps only on my druid these days, so I wouldn't know ;p).
    Its not so much hate, i think the reason why so many people complain about Dk's is the issue that as with hunters there is just to many 'new' players playing it, to play a Dk fairly ok u can basicly faceroll on your keyboard, but to be a real good one it takes skill, as is the case with more classes, but it becomes really appearant with classes like hunters, dk, paladins.

Other then that, a Dk tank is just plain boring to play due to the run mechanic. Basicly your rotation is always the same due to your runes. Yes the runic power adds a few abilities in there, but definately not enough to spice it up.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Sunkiss
    I am liking the sound of warrior, but I am what you would consider a 'slow' moving player. I am not very fast at movement and changing targets, so I am thinking druid might be better for me for those reasons.

Thanks for all the nice replies so far, I appreciate them alot, and read them.
    If you are not fast at swapping targets or to mobile, stay away from the warrior, unless of course you wish to improve on this, then it will work out fine.

If you dont want to improve, pick a druid or paladin, concecrate/SoC/HoR and 360 degrees lol'o'swipe will be better then

If you are not fast at swapping targets or to mobile, stay away from the warrior, unless of course you wish to improve on this, then it will work out fine.

If you dont want to improve, pick a druid or paladin, concecrate/SoC/HoR and 360 degrees lol'o'swipe will be better then
    Sadly my movement and targetting issues is here to stay. I have played since vanilla, and my s.o says I am unredeemable, and that is not just him beeing harsh.

So with that fact in mind, I would lean towards a druid more, and I really like that they have alot of health. And they also seem quite user friendly.

If your slow on target swapping you should also stay away from the DK as the only realy viable specc atm is blood and those have the worst aoe threat ingame atm unless u know how to play it, keeping aggro on 4 mobs with a ability that hits 2 of them is kinda hard compared to a warrior that can go afk and still deal damage due to talents. On the other hand DK is the most fun of all tanks (im a tankoholic my 5 chars 75+ is specced tank, 2 wars (getting booring in the long run) DK (main) pala and druid. Druid and DK is the only ones at 80 as those are by far the most intresting tanks to play.

Off topic: Warriors stop QQ about ur aoe threat, play a blood DK ONCE and u will find out that your being retardedly easy played in aoe fights. And no im not some random noob that cannot hold aggro its just that all warriors keep telling me im better at aoe becuse i have death and decay, whoohoo a spell doing 640 dmg/tick = 2.5k threat or something compared to warriors thunderclap that bursts the crap out of death and decay.

15+ Year Old Account

If your looking for an easy class, go pally.

Fun go Warrior.

Off topic: Warriors stop QQ about ur aoe threat, play a blood DK ONCE and u will find out that your being retardedly easy played in aoe fights. And no im not some random noob that cannot hold aggro its just that all warriors keep telling me im better at aoe becuse i have death and decay, whoohoo a spell doing 640 dmg/tick = 2.5k threat or something compared to warriors thunderclap that bursts the crap out of death and decay.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...onnash&cn=Surk

My blood DK.

It's an alt, but I find aoe threat MUCH MUCH easier on it. Seriously, DnD, IT, PS, Pest, BB. Then DnD every 15 seconds. It's so much easier to hold threat it's a joke.

Honestly, the first thing I said when I tried tanking on my DK (At 78, in a ToC) was "Wow....this is so much easier to hold threat on....", don't ever even compare the two, as DK threat is a joke, and warrior threat is fairly difficult. You basicly just do your dps rotation as a DK, so if you know how to dps you can do good threat. As a warrior it's completely different.

You claim to be good, but if you can't hold AoE with a DK of any spec, you're doing it wrong.

Edit: DK is in dps gear....which sucks -_-

Paladin is the easieast, just one button to hit.

Warriors are technically the king of tanks through all expansions and seem to be the most fun to play. Id go for a warrior or a druid over a pally / dk.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    Paladin is the easieast, just one button to hit.
    U obviously never played a paladin tank. Its not only 1 button.

Doing Photoshop requests.

paladins are the most easy class to play , just faceroll and u can do 6k tps with crap gear
    they ar also the least fun to play, just press every ability that is not on CD

Quote Originally Posted by Feladorn
    paladins are the most easy class to play , just faceroll and u can do 6k tps with crap gear
    they ar also the least fun to play, just press every ability that is not on CD
    compared to warrior shield slam(add hs) then revenge(add hs) and devestate(again add hs)
    did i miss anything? ah yes dont add hs if not enogh rage ;P
    ofc on aoe add tc and replace hs with cleve so lets count how many is that
    6 abilitys yea hard
    pallys have consecrate hotr judge and shield of R for total of 4 ability (masicly builtin hs with seals) yes that is faceroll
    not saying pally is hard but dont tell me warrior is hard (yes i play both)