Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Fresh 80, Mut or Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Vhaeraun
    Stop playing your rogue and roll something else is my suggestion.
    If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.

It was 100% uncalled for and as such.....

Mut rogues are somewhat most efficient on tank and spank fights whereas Combat Rogues are efficient in any given raid up to date. Overall I'd recommend combat (because axes are just badass) but tbh just go with whatever you feel comfortable with.
    I would agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.

Combat does not overtake mutilate in BIS for single target. But combat does close the gap to 200 dps.

Copy/paste from EJ:
    Combat: 13610

Spec: 20/51/0

Gear:

•Havoc's Call, Blade of Lordaeron Kings Heroic
    •Scourgeborne Waraxe Heroic
    •Windrunner's Heartseeker Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Helmet Heroic
    •Sindragosa's Cruel Claw Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Pauldrons Heroic
    •Vereesa's Dexterity
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Breastplate Heroic
    •Toskk's Maximized Wristguards Heroic
    •Aldriana's Gloves of Secrecy Heroic
    •Astrylian's Sutured Cinch Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Legplates Heroic
    •Frostbitten Fur Boots Heroic
    •Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance
    •Frostbrood Sapphire Ring Heroic
    •Tiny Abomination in a Jar Heroic
    •Deathbringer's Will Heroic

Gemming: 20arp x 15, 34arp x 3, Nightmare Tear, 10hit/10exp x 2. Optimal gemming is based on achieving armor penetration hard cap, while staying under the crit cap and almost reaching the expertise cap. Armor penetration food.

Professions: JC/Engineering

Alternatives: Other items, professions and gemming choices produce very close dps results for combat (within 20 dps). In particular:
    •TAJ+Engineering vs Herkuml War Token+Blacksmithing
    •Fal'inrush, Defender of Quel'thalas Heroic vs Windrunner's Heartseeker Heroic (requires regemming)
    •Band of the Bone Colossus Heroic vs Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance (till you reach exalted)

Mutilate: 13810

Spec: 51/18/2

Gear:
    •Heaven's Fall, Kryss of a Thousand Lies Heroic
    •Lungbreaker Heroic
    •Fal'inrush, Defender of Quel'thalas Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Helmet Heroic
    •Sindragosa's Cruel Claw Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Pauldrons Heroic
    •Shadowvault Slayer's Cloak Heroic
    •Ikfirus's Sack of Wonder Heroic
    •Toskk's Maximized Wristguards Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Gauntlets Heroic
    •Astrylian's Sutured Cinch Heroic
    •Sanctified Shadowblade Legplates Heroic
    •Frostbitten Fur Boots Heroic
    •Ashen Band of Endless Vengeance
    •Band of the Bone Colossus Heroic
    •Whispering Fanged Skull Heroic
    •Tiny Abomination in a Jar Heroic

Gemming: 20haste x 9, 34haste x 3, Nightmare Tear, 20ap/10haste x 7, 20hit x 1, 20ap/10hit x 1. Optimal gemming is based on staying under the crit cap and almost reaching the expertise cap, while maximizing haste and AP as secondary stat.

Professions: JC/Engineering

Alternatives: Very few alternatives within 20 dps. In particular:
    •Agility/haste vs AP/haste (requires adding hit gems)

All results were obtained for a 5 minute fight without target switching.

That said, combat or mutilate for a new rogue?

Answer is easy.

Whichever one you got best weapons for.
    You spec for the gear you have available. (if your playing to be the best you can be at doing damage.)

Learn to play both.

1. Play what you want

but, if your thinking at dps, then imo. I fint mut absolut best at singel target, but I switch to combat for most trash or if there are more targets to hit at. But for me my dps are close at each other, so just play that I in the mood for.
    But your gear have a lot to say, especilly ur weapons. Mut spec is really easy, the priorty list is simpel. Maybe this video can help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ebfZ_-COMs
    it helped me at the begining.

+ elitejerks got all you want to know mut or combat.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t37183-p...updated_3_3_a/

good luck, champ

Quote Originally Posted by Mystryx
    1. Play what you want

but, if your thinking at dps, then imo. I fint mut absolut best at singel target, but I switch to combat for most trash or if there are more targets to hit at. But for me my dps are close at each other, so just play that I in the mood for.
    But your gear have a lot to say, especilly ur weapons. Mut spec is really easy, the priorty list is simpel. Maybe this video can help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ebfZ_-COMs
    it helped me at the begining.

+ elitejerks got all you want to know mut or combat.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t37183-p...updated_3_3_a/

good luck, champ
    Yo, that Rogue in the video is my guildy xD

combat

My opinion? Go both.

If you have already made your main spec Muti, setup your second set to go combat. There are a few reasons for this.
    • You will learn how to effectively play both specs
    • You will learn what kind of gear is useful to each spec (all rogue gear is not the same, it usually favors one spec or the other)
    • You will learn the strengths/weaknesses of each spec, and will understand that there are certain fights where each one excels.

It is true, as of right now Muti is the leader between the two when it comes to end-game raiding. If you are a new 80, you are not doing end-game raiding just yet. Until that point don't worry about the flame wars of Muti vs. Combat, just learn how to play them both. At some point, one of the two raid spec's will be nerf'd/buff'd, we have seen it happen plenty of times. When that time comes you can easily switch to the "newest" raid viable spec, and you can make that switch because you are prepared...you learned how to play both specs.

Until you have a full gear set for both combat and muti, your main spec should be whichever you have better weapons for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

that video is actually handy in terms of basics, although imo it's better to just smack things with mutilate out of stealth rather than garrote if someone else is providing the bleeds for you
    I would agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.

im pulling ahead of my mut partner as combat, and we have pretty much same gear lvl.

on festergut, i did 10875, and him did 10746, other bosses im pulling 1k or more ahead of him.

I just recently dinged 80 as well on my rogue. Actually, second rogue. To make a long story short, played rogue as main from 2.1 to 3.1, quit it, and just dinged 80 on a different rogue with 18 hours played @ lvl 18.

If you've recently dinged 80, it means you're most likely running heroics a lot to gear up. For that simple reason i suggest combat. I find it very annoying and chaotic to keep HfB up during heroics. One heroic all the trash will die so fast u can keep HfB up during 2 maybe 3 packs, other heroics the other people are so slow u have to spend so much time ruptering, HfB, getting S&D up, and getting into a envenom rotation it get really really annoying. Combat rotation is easy to start off, has higher aoe, and is more forgiving on movement/switching. The axe from FoS is a brilliant MH, think there's also a nice OH in the 3 new heroics. Also, statwise its easyer to get both hit and expertise cap due to 10 extra expertise.

If u can afford dual spec, getting mut as second spec is indeed a very wise suggestion as someone else said. Try it out on single target fights, or raids. Longer fights let u get into a proper mut rotation, so you can get a feel for the spec. FoS last boss drops a good dagger for MH iirc, trash drops a nice 1.4 OH.

I myself am a combat fan mainly, because when i used to play mut i hated the 30 sec refresh time on HfB. With the current way Mut works, its a nice spec, and as soon as i get into doing raids on my rogue, ill try it out. Ive played around with it a bit, but personally im so used to combat i know im a lot better of maximising my dps as combat then i would as mut. Timing cd's with proc etcs to get the most of out it.

To come to my main point: During heroics i suggest combat. During raids, its up to your current gear and personal playstyle. But perhaps, as mentioned before, most important, spec into your best weapons if the difference is huge, because that will end up with most dps.

Quote Originally Posted by stabphera
    I think I might go Combat if I get a good sword, mace, or fist drop.
    or axe...

"Oh, yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark, they shoot bees at you?"