Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ideas for buffiing Prot AOE tanking

Make Whirlwind usable in defensive stance. This will increase prot warrior's PVE dps, and help our AOE threat.
    Having a 1-h weapon and shield wont do anywhere near the damage of 2x 2-H wpns, but with our existing threat modifiers, it should work about as well as thunderclap. (Also have something put in there so that for the short time you are faced away, you cant get hit by a boss from behind and get wtfcleaved).

Also, (not AOE related, but would be fun) having something like bloodthirst that requires a shield would be awesome...maybe remove the 100% chance to silence due to shield bash (PVP nerf), and put in it's place either a prot-only bloodthirst ability, or something that procs on shield slam crits that restore 1% of max health for each of the next 2/4 melee attacks.

Just some ideas i have been tossing around...

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Ideas for buffiing Prot AOE tanking

If they did that, you could TG tank heroics. Imp cleave + glyph of cleaving + imp TC + tank gear except your 2 2 handers + glyph of ww + imp ww = decent AOE threat and decent damage. This wouldn't work for the new heroics though and you'd need a better than usual healer and a special spec.

So probably not happening. And unglyphed WW has a 10 sec CD anyways, hardly a good ability for tanking as it would most likely be weaker than thunderclap for regular prot, doesn't have additional threat baked in, and gives no slowing effect.

something like http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warr...8,eF3Hq-,11159
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Rather buff TC's damage or increase SB's duration.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/world-of-warcraft-lore-by-richard-knaak-(spoilers)/

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

lower challenging shout cooldown, slightly more AP scaling on thunder clap.
    shud work just fine,, dont need whole lot extra.

maybe increase damage shield damage from 20% to 30% of your block value, and make it work properly..half the time it doesnt trigger:P

Make it work for raid bosses

make tc a continuous damage spell wherever you used it - sort of like consecrate that you have the initial damage and the speed reduction but also a lingering damage effect for the area. That way in pvp you could just move away and only have initial damage and slowing (before people cry about it being op)

or, do something with shield slam - making it hit more targets and increase theat.

or simply give us a thorn shout that lasts 10min and gives us a +threat ability sort of like the Paladin aura.
    "Hey, you know what's even cooler than triceratops? Every other dinosaur that ever existed."

I was thinking more along the lines of a talent point that allowed whirlwind to be used in def stance, and reduce the cooldown of WW. The threat modifier from being in defensive stance should be enough, or it can be included in the talent.
    ofc it would have to be far enough down the prot tree to make it useless for dps specs.
    This would give the benefit of helping a warrior tank's dps (which we all know is the lowest), and add another AOE tanking ability.

I like the challenging shout idea too. Maybe a minor glyph that reduces the cooldown by 50%? Sounds like an easy enough fix.

I dont think they will make TC act like consecration/D&D because that would make us too much like pallies or DK's, and Blizz likes to keep the classes as distinct as possible....would be nice tho...

Dont think they should give us a consecrate type move, i'd rather they leave us with thunderclap+shockwave and make us time them like we do rather than have constant AOE. Maybe increase the threat of these moves or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Weena2
    Dont think they should give us a consecrate type move, i'd rather they leave us with thunderclap+shockwave and make us time them like we do rather than have constant AOE. Maybe increase the threat of these moves or something.
    Agreed.

I'd like something as simple as vigilance refreshing tclap.

or Increase the threat done by Demo shout by a lot. It shouldn't be too hard to tweak the threat modifier. They would have to increase it only in D-stance tho...

rofl , another "buff me " thread.

About the only really useful baseline change for AoE tanking and warriors in general is that I think Cleave should be made at least 3 targets standard.

Otherwise our AoE tanking is just fine and if you're bad at it then either you're being too hard on yourself over your dps having zero brain power to switch targets or you just stink at tabbing targets and hitting cleave yourself.

p.s. Glyph Cleave, it's freakin' amazing.

I agree Glyph of Cleave is amazing. I run a kinda odd spec that picks up imp cleave and piercing howl.
    Im also a perfectionist, and if one mob dies away from the pile, it bothers me.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...litans&group=1

Fold an effect into one of the talents that increases the number of things hit by Cleave by 5/10 (or whatever). Reduce the threat on TClap slightly to compensate, if necessary.

EDIT: Do not make the solution a glyph. Glyphing for AOE isn't something a tank should feel obligated to do.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitans
    I agree Glyph of Cleave is amazing. I run a kinda odd spec that picks up imp cleave and piercing howl.
    Im also a perfectionist, and if one mob dies away from the pile, it bothers me.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...litans&group=1
    Yet you are missing the deflection talent in arms... that's 5% mitigation with talent points. You have some other unneeded talents, namely imp bloodrage, puncture, piercing hollow, imp. spell refelect, and commanding pressence. I would suggest changing some of these for defelection.

Yea i had this spec for heroics, and add tanking....also used it for pvp, so i had a lot of utility built in.
    I definately agree that deflection is important for raid tanking.

Piercing howl is fun for cc too, as it slows more than TC and is useful when TC is on cd and things are trying to scatter...like when a hunter MD the next pack to you...

The problem with this, is that whirlwind only hits 4 targets, and as a general rule, 4 targets isn't to hard to hold threat on with tab targeting + shield slams or devastates, its getting into the larger packs of 6+ that warriors really start having a bit of trouble, simply because you can't toss out a devastate on every mob before someone pulls off you alot of the times.

Good point. It would only be effective if it was changed to hit everything in x range, and not a limited number of targets.

Won't ideas like this be viable in cataclysm since defense is being taken off gear and put into spec? certainly arms+shield+1h is on the radar for blizz, perhaps other combos are as well.

10+ Year Old Account

Or you could be grateful for what you have... but that's too hard amirite?
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain