Prince Keleseth ranged tanking.

So is anyone else noting how goddamn annoying this is? Mainly because Keleseth LOVES running up and one shotting you for 70,000. Also the dark nucleii seem to love aggro-ing onto melee when they run through them.

I made a video of my experience for anyone else doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rt35WpmYmw (still processing), hopefully this is fixed soon.

Re: Prince Keleseth ranged tanking.

In one of my guild's 10-man groups tonight, we started our first attempts having a ranged tank Keleseth, and he ran up and punched them in the face a few times as well. They were also having problems keeping agro on the nuclei (healing agro being the biggest issue). After several wipes, we ended up having our Prot Paladin tank Valanar and Taldaram, and our Prot Warrior melee tank Keleseth. Seemed to be really easy for him to run around charging/intervening/intercepting to the nuclei. The second attempt with the warrior tanking Keleseth was a clean kill.

Honestly, especially in 25man, healers just don't understand that a ranged is tanking. Just like Mimiron phase 3, the healers are used to healing the "tanks" and completely ignore the ranged when they're tanking. It takes a bit of time before you can get the nuclei on you, and every time i tried to tank it, i was dead before that point. Something about healers failing at healing me, and not having a big enough health pool meant dying before i had a chance to get all the damage reduction stacks.

We found that a regular tank (paladin in this case) was more than enough. The dps requirements for the fight aren't high, so as long as the tank has ranged abilities, it isn't a problem.

After I figured out how to keep him from melee-ing me it wasn't a problem to get it done ranged tanking, but I can see a normal tank working fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordcrimmeh
    Honestly, especially in 25man, healers just don't understand that a ranged is tanking. Just like Mimiron phase 3, the healers are used to healing the "tanks" and completely ignore the ranged when they're tanking.
    No offense, but if that's indeed true, your guild needs better healers.

I tanked it on 10-man, yeah it does have some weird behavior and it attempts to get on melee all the time, but that's avoidable. Just run around with it, it doesn't have any AoEs or cleaves so you should be fine.

I thought you only need to get 3 nucleus?

Quote Originally Posted by kraeden
    I thought you only need to get 3 nucleus?
    You only need 3, yeah, but they spawn really fast and once you have 3 stacks of Shadow Ressonance the DOT damage will be minimal, so you should get as many as you can.

You don't take 0 damage with 3. It's multiplicative reduction not additive.

You still take 18k hits with 3.

With like 6-7 you can get it down to 4-5k hits.

I love his run up and melee thing. The best is when you have a huge pile of shadowy balloons and he's in the pile two feet from you, even though he's supposed to be a ranged mob.

And yes, those are my balloons. you may not has

Thankfully it is an easy fight. One of my guildmates, who makes well known videos, asked at the end "Ok so what just happened" after we downed it in 25.

Doing it last night was a blast, really fun encounter.

Our ranged tank ended up just getting to stand still 90% of the time, I used searing pain rank 3 to bring nucleii over to him and he could just do a real searing pain to bring them onto himself. Pretty much ran around the whole fight collecting them and shooting down static bombs.

Solution: Get yourself a gatherer, he'll never run over and melee you if you're not running around like a monkey.

(This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Had some trouble with the meleeing as well when I tanked tonight in 10man, you learn to stay the hell away eventually though, also found it really hard to survive if keleseth was 2nd empowered target, since 3rd nucleii was just spawning then, he could get a spell off before I reached it (of course the nucleii decides to spawn way over on the other side of room at this point)

Seems a bit unfair in 10man though? We seemed to have 3 of those "bounce" bombs most of the time on most tries, usually well spread out so same person couldnt handle two. That's a lot of people forced away from main dps target for a 10man group. Also we had one of the "bounce" bombs spawn inside a wall so it couldnt go up, that was annoying

Tips and Tricks for this fight that I learned last night (25 man):

1) The Princes without the Orb on them have 1/24M hp. This means that on pull, hunters can Misdirect+Killshot to really help massively with the ranged rank's initial threat and can continue to do so during the fight. This helps a lot with a melee tank's threat if you're using one.
    2) The Ranged tank MUST stay at range. If their Prince gets up on them they'll melee for 25K+ on Cloth - but when he has the orb more like 40K+
    3) The Flame Orbs are essentially ignorable. With Fire Resistance aura up they only impact for 6K or so. VERY not true for Empowered Flame Orbs. Empowered Flame Orbs were our #1 killer, I kited one half the length of the room but it didn't fire off enough sparks and hit me for ~45K.
    4) The Kinetic Orbs (aka Beach Balls) travel upwards for about 2-3s each time they're hit with any source of damage, regardless of how much it is. If you set a melee pet on them the pet will hang around under the orb and as it gets close to the ground each time it'll bite it and it'll go up again. This trivialises them. There are always 2 out but the CD overlaps slightly and there are brief periods of 3. We had 2 hunters assigned to this, 2 were dealt with by pets and they shot the 3rd when it was up. Also, if you place a searing totem under them it deals with it nicely, and they last 60s and so does the totem. Needs to be watched though, because the Searing attacks the closest target and if a Prince ends up near it it may not shoot at the Orb.
    5) The middle prince is always the first target and it's random from there.
    6) This is quite a short fight. They only have a touch over 24M HP. You only need to keep this really rather chaotic fight on the knife edge of control for a while. We had some issues with the ranged tanking and used a DK instead and he died with about 6.2M left - and we still managed to get the kill.

If you are having any issues at all with ranged tanking, I'd strongly suggest getting a DK to tank it. Ours was unholy (I think) and glyphed AMS/boneshield. Honestly the fight was a joke after that (our biggest issue was Kal giving our warlock the old melee swing). The DK had like ~52k HP raid buffed (it was an offspec) and with talented magic resist+ frost presence, it wasn't hard at all to keep him up. During the empowered phase, he was able to rotate BS and AMS/AMZ the entire time, so he took like 0 damage.

During the empowered flame orbs, AMZ was incredible helpful in saving 2 people who were targetted (they just ran in, he popped it, and the shell ate the rest. Having diseases up on the orbs prevented any other DPS from accidentally taking aggro, and when Kal melee'd our tank, it hit him for ~10k. Big deal on a 52k tank.

We only had one issue with him melee'ing tonight and when we brought a hunter in. Protip: Silencing shot will make him walk up and punch you in the face. As will any form of interrupts. Don't do that.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Ive tanked this Np, altho I noticed he does feel like running into me punching my face, but theres the lock port to save meh