Guide/FAQ to playing WoW on a Mac

[b]Guide/FAQ to World of Warcraft on an Apple Mac

Contents:

1. Introduction
    • What is this guide about?

Why did I bother making it?

How can I contribute to this guide?

2. Software
    • What software do I need to play WoW on a Mac?
      Is there a 64-bit WoW client?

3. Hardware
    • 
What hardware is available to play WoW on a Mac?

4. Peripherals

• What options do I have for keyboard and mice?

What options do I have for microphones/headsets?

5. Gameplay

• What kind of gameplay can I expect?

What settings can I play at?

Do you have any screenshots of example gameplay?

What about addons?
      I heard I can’t use addons with a Mac

What is so special about the Mac client?

6. Extras

• What about Voice communication? e.g. Ventrilo?
      I heard you can’t use Vent on a Mac

I like to watch WoW videos on my computer, but Quicktime is crap! Can you help?

I read somewhere I can control iTunes from within WoW?

I like to make Machinima (WoW videos). Is this possible on a Mac?

Is my Mac immune to viruses and am I immune to being hacked?
      Can I run Windows on my Mac?

7. Credits
    • 
Credits for information used in this guide

1.Introduction
    What is this guide about?
    This is a guide dedicated to playing World of Warcraft on Apple Mac computers.

It will cover basic hardware questions, basic software questions, how to maximise your gameplay on your Mac. It will also cover some extras such as what mice and keyboards you can use.

It will also cover some optional extras people that play WoW like to do.

Why did I bother making this guide?
    I made this guide because there is a lot of mis-information out there about playing World of Warcraft on a Mac. Particularly, I had LOADS of questions about playing WoW on Macs before I tried it, so if I did, surely lots of other people do too!

I feel that if you are reading this, you probably had a few questions, and hopefully this has gone some way to answering them!

How can I contribute to this guide?
    I welcome all contributions to this guide! And I will try to keep it as up to date as possible. It already draws in some information from the official WoW forums (credits at the end), but the best possible source is directly from people who play WoW on their Macs.

You can contribute by simply reading it! The more hits it gets, the more it gets showcased Alternatively, you are absolutely more than welcome to post on it to offer advice, thoughts, or generally whatever (but please try to keep it helpful)

What isn't this guide?
    Fanboism. It's not mean to be a "WoW is better on a Mac" guide - that's simply not true. It's just answering some questions about playing WoW on a Mac

2. Software
    Do I need to buy new discs to install WoW on my Mac?
    You do NOT need to buy separate copies of the game! This is the 1st misconception about WoW and Macs. The Mac client is already on your normal install discs! Just pop them in the CD/DVD drive and you are away! The install process is very straight forward.

If you have lost your discs, you can download the Mac client from the official website www.worldofwarcaft.com or www.wow-europe.com

What Operating Systems are supported by WoW?
    Taken from the Official system requirements: (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html)

Mac System Requirements

Mac OS X 10.4.11 or newer
    Processor:
    Minimum: PowerPC G5 1.6 GHz or Intel Core Duo processor
    Recommended: Intel 1.8GHz processor or better

Memory:
    Minimum: 1 GB RAM
    Recommended: 2 GB RAM

Video:
    Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 64 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 9600 or NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600 class card or better
    Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA 7600 class card or better

You will most likely see the best gameplay (FPS) from using the latest version of OSX (Snow Leopard at time of writing). Always make sure you have all the latest updates installed.

Is there any difference in the Mac client v the Windows client?
    The simple answer is no! The real answer is yes, but the only difference is that the Mac client has a built-in recorder (more detail later). ]

Is there a 64-bit version of the WoW client?
    No unfortunately not (as far as I am aware). Here is a link to the latest Blue post I could find on the subject - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...75928086&sid=1

If anyone finds anything more recent that states the contrary, please tell me and I'll update this.

3. Hardware
    What Hardware do I need to play WoW on a Mac?
    See above for the hardware system requirements for playing WoW on a Mac.

Will I get any benefit from using a Quad-Core CPU compared to a dual-core?
    Yes and no. You may see some benefit, but the game is not designed to properly use all 4 cores. On the technical info it states it's threaded for 3 cores, but the 3rd only does music. Also, the most recent BLUE post I could find on it is here http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...73499400&sid=1. There was a forum post somewhere about enabling more cores, but it looked dubious so I haven't included it.

What can I expect from playing WoW on my Mac Mini/Macbook/iMac?
    Well, this is really impossible to say categorically, as it depends on a lot:
    I’ve only played WoW on my new iMac, not the others
    It depends exactly what hardware you have in your computer and what other software is running on the Mac while you are playing

However, here is a link to a post on the official forums about frame rates on various hardware

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...28094861&sid=1

I personally play wow on a Late 2009 iMac, core 2 duo, ATI 4850 512mm with 8gb RAM, and personally I have anywhere from 60-180 FPS on ultra settings @ 2560x1440 resolution.

Obviously the better your hardware, the better your FPS will likely be. The exception perhaps being that the 27” iMac with ATI 4670 HD card may see lower FPS than the 21” iMac with same graphics card - this is because the 27” uses a higher resolution.

What resolution should I play the game at?
    You are most likely to see the best gameplay at resolutions which are the same as the native resolution of the screen you are playing it on. You may get an increase in FPS playing at lower resolution, but the game may appear distorted.

For example, my screen has a native resolution of 2560x1440, so I play at that resolution. If I play at a lower resolution, I get much higher FPS, but the game becomes all distorted and stretched, and looks a bit crappy.

Ultimately you should have a play around and find whatever resolution you are most comfortable at.

Can I add extra hardware to my Mac to get more performance?
    Again this depends entirely on the type of Mac you own. If you have a iMac like me, your upgrade options are very limited as basically everything is hardwired in, except for RAM and Hard Drive. This is the same with the Macbook and Macbook Pros.

To see if you would benefit from adding in extra RAM, you can open up your system profiler while you are playing WoW, and see what the % RAM usage is. If it is quite high (80%+) you might see some benefit in getting more RAM / faster RAM.

You may also see a benefit in loading times if you buy a faster Hard Drive, or an SSD hard drive (although these are very expensive). Note though, SSD drives are not designed to be used continuously, so you should not record to them using the in-game recorder (discussed later in the guide).

4. Peripherals
    I already have a gaming keyboard/mouse, can I use these?
    Of course! Well, that’s assuming they are compatible with your Mac! Most Macs will have at least 2 USB 2.0 inputs, some have firewire inputs, and as far as I know, none have PS/2 inputs. Snow Leopard is extremely good at Plug and Play peripherals, and 99% of them will work without any problems.

However, you may have to download additional software (specific to your keyboard/mouse) to get the most out of them, just like you have to do for Windows.

Do I need to buy a gaming keyboard/mouse for WoW? I heard the Mac ones are bad for gaming!
    Nothing could be further from the truth! You do NOT need to buy additional peripherals if you do not want to!

It is entirely personal preference here. The game is designed to be used with any keyboard/mouse combo, and you should use whatever you are most comfortable with. I am very happy playing WoW with my wireless keyboard (compact version) and Magic Mouse, and personally I do not see any significant battery drain, or any lag (latency) from using my wireless components. However, if you play from across the other side of your house, you may see some latency

How can I get the most out of my Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse?
    A good question! To get the Most out of your keyboard, you will want to set up some keybindings. These work exactly the same way as any of your keybindings would on your Windows client / or any gaming keyboard (restricted to keys you actually have though!)

To lock the Fn Keys so they are used like normal F1-F12 (or higher) keys like on a normal desktop keyboard, you can go into System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard, then check "use all F1,F2 keys like standard...". This switches around the default action of the F keys to the normal F1-F12, rather than Adjust brightness, dashboard, etc.

Please note, the standard wireless keyboard which ships with new Macs does not have a numeric keypad, so don’t set any keybinds for that which you don’t have

Due to the compact size of the Mac keyboard though, you might need to take some time to get used to using it! Don’t expect to be a pro straight away

Regarding the mouse, it can be used to play WoW without any problems at all. There is a lot of misinformation out there, stating “do not use the Magic Mouse with WoW”. This is completely wrong! You just need to get some additional software to get the most out of your mouse.

2 programs spring to mind, although others are available - Magic Prefs, and BetterTouchTool (BTT). I personally use BTT, as I find it’s more customizable than Magic Prefs. You will definitely need to play around with the settings to get to a point you are comfortable with, but it’s more than adequate for playing WoW on. You can even set custom gestures with BTT, then set them in WoW. For example, 2 finger tap on my mouse and it does auto-run! I also turned down the sensitivity a bit, so I don’t keep interrupting my spell casts by running when I don’t want to.

What options do I have for microphones and headsets?
    The same as on any Windows PC! I use exactly the same Logitech headset (some people hate this FYI) as I did on my Windows PC and it works perfectly. Alternatively, you might want to use the built in iSight microphone if you have one, although this can cause problems with echoing in voice chat programs, the same as using any microphone without a headset.

All Macs have an audio in and audio out for use with headsets.

http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Re: Guide to playing WoW on a Mac

5. Gameplay
    What kind of gameplay can I expect?
    This was covered briefly earlier, and depends entirely on the hardware you have, and the software you are running concurrently with WoW open.

What settings should I use?
    On my iMac I use 2560x1440 resolution (same as native screen resolution) and ultra settings, and the game looks beautiful (as good as WoW can). I would recommend not using any multi-sampling, as it doesn’t really do anything to the graphics that is noticeable.

Obviously, the lower you have your settings, the better your FPS will be. You need to find a balance that you are comfortable with.

As with Windows PCs, you may see some big benefits by disabling shadows, disabling full-screen glow effect, and by turning off extras such as Death Effect.

Do you have any screenshots of what WoW looks like on your iMac?
    I have a couple, but they are not the best

This was taken @ 2560x1440 resolution on ultra settings for reference.
    Links are here:
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/xdgtx8
    http://img2.pict.com/d9/23/9b/2619186/0/uishotnoted.jpg
    http://img2.pict.com/83/d4/a6/2619197/0/uishot.jpg

[Added some non-download links now. If you want to download the image, either R-click and save as etc. or download it from my me.com link.]

When I get some better screenshots, I’ll include them. Also if people link some taken from Macs, I’ll include them here.

Speaking of screenshots, how do I take them? My keyboard doesn’t have a Prt Scrn button??
    You can take snapshots by pressing cmd+shift+3. This is the default (on my mac). It might be slightly different on yours (some are F13). If you have a compact keyboard it's likely to be cmd+shift+3 as we don't have an F13 :P. You can change this in the WoW keybinds I believe.

You can also change the settings of the snapshots and change the file format.

Help! I need all my addons to play WoW but I can’t get them on Macs!?
    Relax, you can! All addons fully compatible with Macs. They are programmed only to fit with WoW, not with a particular Operating System. If you find any that aren’t compatible, which is highly unlikely, they are either not worth having, or alternatives would be available

You can use the Curse client for Mac if you want to download and install your addons (thanks dahighpriest). Just make sure to be careful with your account security - the curse client had some security flaws a little while back and some people got hacked, so I don't recommend using it - use it at your own risk

The only exception to this is probably botting programs/hacking programs, which you should not be using anyway!

Earlier, you talked about the Mac client and an in-game recorder? What is this?
    Exactly what the name suggests! It is a game-recorder built into the Mac client. It is basically FRAPS (but better imo), for free. It is a very good addition to the game, and I’ll talk a bit more about it later in the Machinima section.

6. Extras
    I like using Vent to raid, can I still use it on a Mac?
    Yes you can! The latest version of Ventrilo for Mac can be found here: http://www.ventrilo.com/mac.php . You should note though, it may not be entirely the latest version as compared to the windows version (current windows version is 3.0.5, mac is 3.0.4), but that usually will not be a problem.

Almost all good Ventrilo servers support Mac clients. You may however need to ask the person in charge of the Vent server to use a slightly different Codec (thanks to Crohan for this). Most Vent Servers will allow this without any problems and most users will not be able to notice any difference. Just remember, be polite when asking :P

Well, what about Teamspeak or Skype?
    I use skype on my Mac, and it works 100% the same as Windows version. I do not personally use TS, but like Ventrilo it should work on any Mac computer.

When I get bored I like to watch WoW videos, but Quicktime is crap! Can you help me?
    Haha yes, Quicktime does have its flaws. Personally, I prefer Windows Media Player to Quicktime, but you have plenty of options.

Various plug-ins are available to download for Quicktime, e.g. to play .wmv files. However, I would strongly recommend downloading a program called VLC, or Video Lan Player. It is an extremely lightweight media player, and it is absolutely fantastic! It can play almost any video in existence, and has virtually no codec restrictions! It is also available for Windows, and I’d strongly recommend it no matter which platform you are using.

If for some reason you don't want to get VLC, and are intent on using Quicktime, I recommend an App called MediaInfo Mac (a Windows version may exist). It will tell you all the information about a video file you could possibly want, including all the codecs used, when it was encoded, and even what program was used. It's really overkill, but it should help you find a missing codec easily.

Can I control iTunes from within WoW?
    I’m not too sure about this., but apparently this is possible using keybindings (thanks sebseb).

However, there are options in the Mac-Specific option list to enable the iTunes remote display.

This puts an on-screen info box when you change track, or a new track starts. Personally I just use my keyboard media keys to change tracks

You can also get an iTunes remote for your iPhone if you have one

I like to make Machinima on my computer, I demand you tell me about this in-game recorder!
    Yes I did skip over it a bit earlier

It’s a very good screen capture system, comparable to (and personally I think better than) FRAPS. FRAPS is basically the best you can get for Windows PCs, but I think this goes one-step beyond.

It is highly customisable, allowing you to set the resolution you want to record at, the codec you want to use for compression, and any in-game compression you want to do. It allows you to set whether you want to compress automatically, at login, or manually. It also allows you to record the screen without the mouse pointer (sometimes they get in the way), or record without the interface showing. This is great for those cinematic pieces you want to make, as even though the interface is showing on your screen (so you can carry on throwing those frostbolts you love), it won’t show on the recording.

Personally I record at 1980x1080 (HD 1080p) resolution and encode in H.264 in manual mode (just before I go afk I hit ] which is default for compressing). It also gives you the option to quickly delete the file if you do it manually.

I’d recommend having a play around on it and find settings you are comfortable with. Note : the default for YouTube HD content is 1280x720 resolution, although they do have a 1080 version I believe. Vimeo HD content is also 1280x720 (although these frown upon simple gaming vids).

The files are output in .mov format if using H.264 encoding or Apple Intermediate Codec (haven’t tried others) and can be put directly into iMovie 09.

For a brief idea of how to make a Machinima video using this system, see this link. It’s a short video I made on the subject.
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=136469

Ok, so that’s fine, but I want to use WoW Model Viewer!

You may or may not be able to use this directly on your Mac OS, it depends entirely on whatever version is currently supported. If you can’t though, you can always just bootcamp and log onto your Windows partition (assuming you have one) and do it there.

Can i use all my normal encoding software?
    Virtually all good encoding software / movie production software has Mac versions available, and if it doesn’t, you can always bootcamp onto Windows.

Personally I use iMovie 09, and it’s really quite good. I know for certain Adobe After Effects has a Mac version, if you are rich enough to be able to afford it

Do you have any examples of Machinima made on Macs?
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=136469
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=136897
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=122877 (Ulduar the Movie - made entirely on Mac I believe)

I will add more movies made exclusively on Macs when I get some made! I will also add at some point a detailed video on how to use the in-game recorder and make a machinima on a Mac, from start to finish, including using WoW Model Viewer/Map Viewer, but that will not be for a few months I'm afraid - I'm supposed to be studying

I heard Macs are immune to viruses, does this mean I can do whatever I want and not be hacked?
    NO it does not!

Macs are not immune to viruses at all! This is a huge misconception amongst the Mac community. The reason Macs are less prone to viruses is because they have a smaller user-base, and so for hackers it’s less beneficial to produce viruses for Mac OSX.

However, you should ALWAYS maintain as much safety as possible. Do not answer phising emails, don’t go giving out your username or password, and buy an authenticator.

Can I get an authenticator for my iPhone?
    Yup! Ok, so a little bit of fanboism here :P A lot of Mac owners will likely have an iPhone too, but of course Windows users with iPhones can benefit here also. You can get a FREE authenticator from the iPhone App store.

Can I get Windows on my Mac?
    Yes you can get Windows on your Mac, and you may want to for a few reasons other than WoW.(thanks Lixi) Anyway, to get Windows on your Mac, you should download the Bootcamp software from Apple, if you don't have it already. This will allow you to create a separate small partition you can install windows on.

Here is a support page from Apple on installing Windows : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461
    Note, you need a copy of Windows too. As far as I know, bootcamp supports Windows XP and Vista. I'm not sure about Windows 7, the support page doesn't state either way.

7. Credits
    Credit goes to the following:
    Vedeyndal of Darrowmere (US) for the thread on WoW performance guide for macs - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...28094861&sid=1

Pirill of Proudmoore (US) for the thread on Mac video card options - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...10271028&sid=1

Mac recording options - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...71474767&sid=1

General Mac technical support - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...Id=11111&sid=1

Thanks to those on this thread giving me more information to add into it.

reserved

Hope all this helps some people. Please if you have any comments / suggestions / feedback / want to add anything, don't hesitate to type it on here or PM me. I'll endeavour to keep it as updated as possible.

Great post /bow
    I play wow on a pc but recently i bought a MacBook Pro and ... im in love! I just installed the game there runs soo great, i was afraid they made a cheep version of the pc one, but this makes you think its the other way around. I just need time to set up my addons etc
    Still i cannt see my self leaving my 27' PC to a 15' mac.. but my eyes are now on a iMac for sure

[edit] vote for sticky !

Very nice guide, I use a Mac 10.4.11 from 2006, and it still works like a charm

2 thing tho, my default screenshot-button is F13, and I have a little remote which I can control iTunes with, which came standard with the mac (don't know if this is also true for the newer macs).

Thanks for the guide!

10+ Year Old Account

Very nice guide. Maybe now I can use my wife's macbook to dual box!

/salute

if it helps at least 1 person, it's a success

also thanks for sticky vote, but it's not really needed :P Don't want too many stickies. As long as this is floating somewhere near the top, it's fine with me.
    Also, dinnerbone, feel free to put this post where you want it most. You said to chuck it in here, so I did.

edit:

edited guide with possible other screenshot defaults. I think it's because the compact keyboard doesn't have an F13, so it defaults to cmd+shift+3.

Fantastic guide, I almost wish I had bought an iMac instead of a Macbook Pro, I can't have anywhere near as good settings as you do
    Still good enough, though ;D

Quote Originally Posted by RRamco
    Very nice guide, I use a Mac 10.4.11 from 2006, and it still works like a charm

2 thing tho, my default screenshot-button is F13, and I have a little remote which I can control iTunes with, which came standard with the mac (don't know if this is also true for the newer macs).

Thanks for the guide!
    Just regarding this:
    1. I can't remember how it is with the wireless/wired Mac keyboards, but with any Macbook/Macbook Pro, the F13 key doesn't actually exist (it's there, but it's the 'Eject CD' button) even though the screenshot-button is bound by default to F13.
    2. The little remote comes with most portable Macs (I think, not too sure about the stationary ones), but it does the exact same thing as the special keys bound to F7-F12 in regards to music/media and volume.

EDIT: Woo, 1000 posts ;D

15+ Year Old Account

Guide to playing WoW on a mac? Take it back to the store and use the money you spent on it to buy 2 PC's that play it just as well :P

Just kidding.. maybe.

I wasn't aware that WoW on a mac was so much trouble O_O Do they have issues with Addons?

No they don't have issues with addons, that was kinda half the point of the post

and grats Mushroom on 1k posts

oh and I guess Macbook/MBP probably are cmd+shift+3 also? same as the compact keyboards? would be good to know so I can edit it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    Can I control iTunes from within WoW?
    I’m not too sure about this. I haven’t found a way of doing this yet, although maybe with an optional addon you can.
    check your keybind settings

edit: http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2228/itunes.png

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    No they don't have issues with addons, that was kinda half the point of the post

and grats Mushroom on 1k posts

oh and I guess Macbook/MBP probably are cmd+shift+3 also? same as the compact keyboards? would be good to know so I can edit it in.
    Well, when I installed it on my MPB it ended with F13 as the default, which kinda of sucks since the MBP doesn't have any button programmes for F13, so I had to change it myself. Only took about two seconds, though

Quote Originally Posted by sebseb
    check your keybind settings
    fixed thanks.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Good job on the guide. I'll add a few words of wisdom and advice here as I'm a fellow MAC gamer.

As stated in a post above, F13 is the screenshot key, which can be remapped to something else if so desired. Another neat feature, you can control iTunes from with in WoW. This is not bound to any keys by default, so you would need to set this up first.

Some Ventrilo servers may be using their default GSM 6.10 speech codex, which is not compatible with the one MAC's use. To resolve this, simply ask the person in charge (the vent admin) to switch the Codex to Speex, which is cross compatible and as far as I can tell, not much different from the Windows default one.

MAC users will also need to modify a setting under "System Preferences --> Universal Access" in order for their mic to work while in WoW. Click the check box labeled "Enable access for assistive devices".

Addons all work the same. I've never had or better yet, experienced and "MAC" related issues with them, and I use a lot.

Windows users have the "Shift+Enter" and "Alt+Tab" sequence to get back to the desktop. On a MAC, you will use "Command+M" to put WoW into windowed mode.

More a personal preference, the mouse that comes with most non-laptop MACs is not that great for gaming. I use a Microsoft 5 button, which works the minute you plug it in, no driver installs or anything like that. I'm sure there are dozens of other mice out there that will work as well, however, if you use something unique like the Razor NAGA or something like that, it my be prudent to see if there is a MAC version of their software to take advantage of the extra keys and programability.

thanks Crohan, I'll add that info in about the Vent codecs.

edit: added in a bit about 64-bit OS and quad-core CPUs too.

added a section on locking the Fn keys, for use in keybindings, so that they act like normal F1-F12+ keys. Just in case some people are wondering how to do that. This switches them to use their special action when Fn is pressed, rather than unpressed. Very useful if you want to PvP with a Mac keyboard

Now honestly, I know you said if it helps one person it was worth it. But I am really not sure why anyone would need a guide for this?! Buy the game, install it and there you go. Even for in-game recording if you open up the mac-settings in-game it will explain everything right there. I have never ever had any problems with WoW on my Mac without even thinking about that there might something be different to a Windows version. If you need TS or Vent or whatever, just google TS for Macs and all will be fine. It's just common sense, isn't it? ...not trying to sound like an a**h*** here ...

That's like saying, "what's the point in a manual, just play the game". It's for reference. A place where people can go if they have questions on something. Not everybody gets everything straight away.

yes, for the most part it's just switch it on and play, but some things aren't obvious, like how to lock the Fn keys, or perhaps needing different codecs to use in Vent. It's a thread where people can go without trawling through literally thousands of crap-filled google pages that don't help, and probably 90% lead to gold-selling websites (that's where I was sent mostly when googling this info before I started playing on my mac).

Also as I said, there's a lot of misinformation out there about WoW and Macs, especially things like using the Magic Mouse. I couldn't find any good sources of information on the subject, so maybe others will struggle too? Not everybody wants to spend £100 on a gaming mouse, maybe they just want to make their own hardware a bit more usable with the game?

There is virtually no proper information about making movies on Macs either, and some people may have questions about things like recording settings, or codecs to use to encode, etc. I did, so maybe other people do too.

I agree 90% of it people will already know, but some of it people may not know.

I'm just trying to say that if you want to find out, you WILL (mostly within seconds). I switched from Windows to Macs about three years ago without having any idea how things run and how stuff works on the Apple side of the world. I'm not what you call a computer geek or anything close to that. Actually I don't really know a lot about how OS' work or what kinda codes are used. However, it was only a matter of seconds (Ok sometimes maybe minutes) to find out.

Also, what kinda software you need and whatnot is right there on the WoW box. First thing that came to my mind seeing that post was how sad it is that people may really want/need a guide for something like that.

I understand your effort trying to help people but just don't see why even only 10% of WoW on Mac users would need that. It's just so self-explanatory.
    ... now you may say I just should have stayed out of it but I guess I had to argue my points on this.