Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: prot paladin with mana issues

Picking up casters should be done with Avenger's Shield, as one of the Prot talents silence them with the spell. But it only works if they are able to be Silenced.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jin84
    Picking up casters should be done with Avenger's Shield, as one of the Prot talents silence them with the spell. But it only works if they are able to be Silenced.
    There's such a thing as context, and in this case that happens to be the Brann Bronzebeard encounter in Halls of Stone. Avenger's Shield costs more mana than Consecration, so using that when you're cutting Consecration out of your rotation to conserve mana isn't a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    There's such a thing as context, and in this case that happens to be the Brann Bronzebeard encounter in Halls of Stone. Avenger's Shield costs more mana than Consecration, so using that when you're cutting Consecration out of your rotation to conserve mana isn't a good idea.
    Yes, but spamming consecration is the more likely reason you run out of mana, not Avenger's shield. I only use Avenger's Shield as a pull or extra threat skill.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

This is all about handling your Divine Plea well. If you constantly see it run out between pulls, you're doing something wrong. 100% uptime might not be realistic in most instances, but you shouldn't be far off, and in the situations it does fall off, it should be off cooldown so you can just pop it again. If you still find yourself low on mana sometimes, skip consecration (I'd still use it at start of pull, but don't renew it unless you need to).

Obviously use BoSanc, don't even think about wisdom. Additionally, if you're good on threat when a trash pack is close to dead, just autoattack and your mana will fill up really fast (possibly use holy shield depending on situation).

VH is the only painful area really since DP will run out between portals. Basically aim to have it up and running every second portal, and start it like 10 seconds before the mobs come out from a new portal when you're waiting. Dunno how you possibly can have problems in CoS, there's always skeletons to hit between packs except for the middle part in the house.

Again, key is to get your timing straight. I don't even have points in Spritual Attunement anymore, and I only run oom when I screw up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS
    You have quite a few options.

Divine Plea. Judge wisdom not light. As silly as it may sound... pop a mp5 elixir and/or bless yourself with wisdom.

If you seriously overgear content... you don't need the 3% reduction sanct provides. hell you probably won't even need the stam/str you get. But as tank you DO need to hold aggro. And to hold aggro you need mana. Wisdom provides mana. So yeah. If you judge with wisdom... have blessing of wisdom. You should never go oom. You could try using seal of wisdom as well but you'll find yourself overflowing with mana and you'll lose a great deal of your non-ability TPS.
    If you overgear content, the 3% damage reduction sanc gives is NOT why you are using it. The mana return from it will far outweight some more MP5 from wisdom.

If you're a blood elf, use arcane torrent every cooldown. Also, you can sit to take damage, just let your healers know. You might also use mana pots, or just simply carry a lot of water and drink every pull.

i can hardly imagine having no mana in heroics, just buff yourself with sanctuary and pull the whole instance and you should be decently full
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Quote Originally Posted by Marithas
    i can hardly imagine having no mana in heroics, just buff yourself with sanctuary and pull the whole instance and you should be decently full
    And do over 50% of the groups total damage.

I used to have this issue to, mostly because of to high mana consumption (I'we stoped using conc all together in heroics) and due to having to much avoidance so I rarely get hit for much (hence we usualy do heroics without healer).
    In instances where I can chailpull I keep DP up most of the time, but what really made heroics "fun" was speccing for Seal of Command and using a slow dps weapon (I got quel for this) and just Hammer my way trough packs, litteraly.
    On average runs I pump out about 3-5k dps when I can chainpull big packs now a day, it's awsome!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

If you've stopped using Consecration entirely, you're a bad tank. You're not having mana issues because your avoidance is too high, unless you're a bad tank and you're not using Blessing of Sanctuary. The fact that you're doing 3-5k DPS is linked to the fact that you're not using Consecration (hint: 3-5k DPS on trash pulls really isn't impressive for a Protection Paladin).

Honestly in heroics your mana consumption can be directly related to how geared you are, the stronger your gear is the more threat youll have per ability, meaning you can cut out some abilities entirely out of your rotation to conserve mana. If you run a threat meter you can just gauge how much threat you need to put out and make a rotation based on that. I use a 1/2 spiritual attunement spec myself, and i rarely have mana problems in heroics. if you have specced for seal of command, pick up the glyph it helps a ton, theres not really any glyphs better to grab for heroics anyways between, seal of command, hammer of righteous, and divine plea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    It may cost more mana per cast, but it costs substantially less mana per second in a standard rotation, particularly since you're not even using AS in your standard rotation. Using it to pick up the 2 casters that appear from the right side in the Brann encounter is the most efficient way to get them. Using AS once every 30-40 seconds shouldn't be causing anyone mana issues provided they are using the correct buffs and playing correctly.

As to the OP, your 3 best bets, as have been stated already in the thread, are using Blessing of Sanc, keeping Divine Plea up as close to 100% as you can, and cutting consecrate from your rotation for a couple cycles. Even in VH, if you plan your DP usage ahead of time (as someone mentioned earlier, every 2nd portal) you can maintain your mana pretty well for the entire instance.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially if properly sharpened and in the hands of a well trained ninja.