15+ Year Old Account

A refreshing PuG story...

It seems that only negative PuG stories get told, bad or obnoxious players, etc. Here is a nice one for a change.

I had just respecced my Pally to Prot, and my gear was suitable for some of the early heroics. I have not tanked very often with any class, and I had not tanked with my Paladin in many months, so rusty/inexperienced are very applicable here.

So I queue for an heroic, and it puts me in Pit of Saron. Now, I have not done this dungeon with my Paladin at all (ad nauseum with my mage), and as soon as I got in, I expressed my shock at being considered geared for it. The other members wanted to give it a shot.

We wiped on an early trash pull, and I take all the blame; I was mashing my keys like a loon, trying to get the rotation square, adds came in and it was over.

Now, here is where the run could have got ugly...an instant /kick, a stream of /p insults...but it didn't. The healer felt it would be too hard to go on, and I agreed; the group thanked me for giving it a shot, and asked if I would mind dropping, so as not to kick me. I of course did so and wished them luck.

There are people who play WoW who are not worthless douchebags who cannot wait to rip someone, and if on the off-chance one of the players I was queued with reads this, you have my thanks and respect.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Re: A refreshing PuG story...

I don't understand why this is a "nice story"?

You wiped a group and they told you to leave. :P

(This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Roflamo.
    my guild and I always run 1 war 1 blood dk 1 ret pala and a rogue during heroics while me resto shaman healing. any of the meelee dps is tanking it doesnt really matter we have done so since you could get frosts from dailies and even did HoR.
    healing heroics is not tough.Bare in mind no one in the group is def caped.Bosses die within 15seconds and usually 25seconds if they have 500k+ hp.
    But yeah they where nice to you.
    Pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by Pullup
    Roflamo.
    my guild and I always run 1 war 1 blood dk 1 ret pala and a rogue during heroics while me resto shaman healing. any of the meelee dps is tanking it doesnt really matter we have done so since you could get frosts from dailies and even did HoR.
    healing heroics is not tough.Bare in mind no one in the group is def caped.Bosses die within 15seconds and usually 25seconds if they have 500k+ hp.
    Lol, 15 seconds, definitely not HoR, definitely not. 75% damage reduction baby <3

Quote Originally Posted by Pullup
    Roflamo.
    You should write a guide.

I actually got into a group like this a week after 3.3 with a more positive outcome, I was playing with my new druid healer, my friend was a tank, it was our first heroic and our gear was lacking (not impossible to do, but by comparison), so we got into a group for H HoS, first thing I said "We're not geared, and we'll be doing all the bosses, so if you want a speed run, leave."...five seconds pass...ten seconds...not one person left, so we began

As the run advanced, our faith in humanity was restored, not only were all three of the party members overbearingly nice, but the dps druid actually gave me some tips about how to spec and rolled an alt on the server to talk about how I should gear, gem, generally he was really damn nice to me

Fast forward a few weeks, and we're going steady in a fantasy romance (as it turned out, he lived just a county away from me, go figure)
    How much bone could a bonestorm storm if a bonestorm could BOOOOOOOOONESTOOOOOOOOOOOORM!!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/character-bios/'almega'-nara-draconus/ - my RP character

Quote Originally Posted by MilitantCasual
    I was on the other side of this, with somewhat better results. We threw together a guild run, sans tank. Queued and got AN. I'll say that the DPS were all off-spec tanks, me, A DK, a Warrior and a Druid. After the first few pulls we're pulling off the tank like mad. Can't remember if there was a wipe or not, but one of us at least died. One of my guildies was like 'WTF?' I check recount and see that the tank is geared for the instance and we out gear him by about 1k gearscore (amazing a valid use of gearscore, I know).

So I speak up in chat: "Dude, we outgear the tank by a tier or two." We've all been tanks, we've been there. Once we realize that we all slow down a little, I can see where we wait 2-3 seconds after the pull before we all open up. After that the whole run is nice and smooth. Guy was a great tank, we just had to give him a little room to work.
    WHAT
    Your not supposed to give a tank room to breath your supposed to beat him down see how much he can take and then push him to take more all the while telling him the repair bill is worth the experience of a lifetime and he will thank you for it further down the road.

In short don't cuddle your dam tanks they needed to be battle hardened.

And yes I am a warrior tank your ability to prouduce high threat is the only thing that keeps me awake

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by krasgoth
    I don't understand why this is a "nice story"?

You wiped a group and they told you to leave. :P

Simply because it wasn't handled in a rude fashion. Read some of the topics in this forum alone for some of what passes for typical behavior; I was just trying to point out that something like this does not have to degenerate into insults and "lolfail" remarks.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Here's a nice PuG story for you...

Three of us queued for a heroic - tank DK, DPS DK and our friend on his fresh 80 hunter. Random heroic was UP.

We zone in, look at the shaman healer, and recognise the graphic model used for his shoulders... he was wearing Tier 4 shoulders. Level 70 shoulders from Gruul's Lair, along with a few other random level 70 blue items, and here he was at level 80 about to heal Heroic UP.
    (Note: I know there are some level 70 items that will last you up until 80... but that's BT/Sunwell gear, not Kara equivalents!)

We all had a bit of a laugh at his gear, but our tank was a well geared Blood DK, so he was prepared to keep himself alive if necessary.

This shaman did a fantastic job. Obviously an alt as he knew all of the encounters. Killed the first boss, and the achievement for looting an emblem for the first time popped up for him. I don't know if it was his first heroic full stop, or the first heroic he wasn't insta-booted from by Gear Score heroes.

Completed the instance with no issues, the shaman picked up a few upgrades along the way, and was genuinely thankful to us for the run.
    Happy ending for all.

Got a better one this time it was a raid.

I was highest GS 5308 at the time and 2nd was a lock 5298 (he raged at the 10 gs differnce rofl) Highest dps GS 4.5k, healers was 4k and 3.9k GS. So the warlock e-peen'd and me having played my server for as long as i have and doing my random "normal dungeon lfg" UK-DTK etc (what can i say people hate people that show off so show off helping people with super ninja pull norms and not die).

Anyway back to the raid, 1st attempt we wiped all dps nuked non elites and didnt dps onyxia down that was a fail for phase 2. Luckly i went "to learn from a mistake you have to make a mistake things can only get better" so attempt 2 was nice the 3.8k GS hunter (bowyer from bladefist-EU) pulled 3.8k dps and the rest was 3k+ while the epic lock was only 4.5k. Really goes to show GS isnt everything and downed onyxia they got some deserved loot and i took the most impressive dps/gs ratio on for some farming hcs ause by damn i want them in my icc pugs lol.

PS: healers died with onyxia 500k hp left and 2 dps up. Using seal of light and divine protection for the duration i acctually OUTHEALED onyxia going to 40k hp left i died and the other dps died onyxia 15k 1 on 1 with a 4.7k GS lock, onyxia almost gets her but the smart little mofo had portal up and teleted other sideof room and onyxia died of dots. Deserved achivement "I HAZ ZEE DOTS"

Quote Originally Posted by Firestuff
    Got a better one this time it was a raid.

I was highest GS
    Stopped reading there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Only idiots quote themselves

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Stopped reading there.
    We all did, I think
    People should stop letting others know about their gear score, or even the fact they use such an add-on.

Thanks for the story though, Taishar. I'm not going to tell the rest of this forum about my experiences with PuG's, but some were very, very good and ended well with compliments and kind words. Some instances were like hell, but overall I have far more good than bad experiences with players.