Help with boomkin spec

Alright, I'm new to posting on the forums here, but I was wondering if any of the pro-boomkins would mind helping me out with my spec. Depending on how I'm sitting with my hit I got 1/2 with BoP if I can, and don't spec into any mp5 talents unless it's needed (so far this tier my mp5 has been good enough to not spec into anything and still pass out my innervate to others). This leaves me with 3 unused talent points. Here is my link to armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...7dan&cn=Slonah

I need to respec before raid tonight as my hit rating has dropped below the cap with 1/2 BoP, so I'm unsure of where to put those extra 2 points. I've been messing around Genesis, and the DPS increase with that has been less than noticeable (as I'm sure most of you know). I noticed Qieth has specced a few points into Owlkin Frenzy. I was under the impression that unless you are leveling/soloing stuff or PvPing, this talent doesn't proc much, or at all, in raids. Has this changed since I last looked into it, or are you finding procs on things like Blood Boil on Saurfang or mutating injections or something in the plague quarter?

Re: Help with boomkin spec

It's worth it in a way of "there's nothing else decent to spend it on" way. It does proc fairly often in ICC even with just a couple points in, especially past the first wing.

OF procs pretty well on many bosses 'cause there's raid wide aoe or some other mechanics that will keep it proccin. Expessially now in Icc it's good place to but those few extra points that we have. Atleast if you are raiding boomkin you shouldn't need manaregen points and OF gives you mana back also so not bad choice even if you struggle with mana on some fights.

Your only going to get 1 extra point from what I can see. You need either a point in genesis or moonglow to reach tier 3 talents. I don't know if 1/3 OF > +1% dot damage. With fuzzy bad math I'd say 1 pt of genesis is .25% dps increase and 1pt OF may be as much as .5% (maybe more) but I imagine it is less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Yeah it is just one point. I put a point into Moonglow to get to the third tier, however I also put a point into OF just because the fact that it procs more in ICC seems pretty cool and something I want to test for myself. I was thinking of just keeping BoP at 1/2 as I'm only 8 under the hit cap of 314 for it, but I have horrible luck and will end up missing a lot more than I should. So OF is only 1/3 which may not make it worth it, but I still need to try it to satisfy my own curiosity.

15+ Year Old Account

Genesis is worthless for balance druids, it's only really decent for resto druids attempting to reach tier 2 in balance.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Well, it increases the damage of the dots. As I said it was not very noticeable, and my spreadsheet only logged it as like an increase of like 20 dps, which doesn't equate to much in a raid where you aren't sitting there nuking.

Deleted

Genesis is about a 0,2% DPS increase per point. Owlkin Frenzy is three, maybe four times that! The fact is, the points are simply points that has no other place to go, and on average, Owlkin Frenzy will give you the biggest benefit. On some fights (like Blood Queen Lana'Thel), they add quite a lot of extra damage. If you want, sure, you can put the points into Gale Winds, but i personally don't spec for trash :P

15+ Year Old Account

Again, multiple specs is the way to go, if you need to AE (Trash/ Anub) have a spec with Gale winds maxed and glyphed Typhoon and possibly some mana regen. When you are single target put some points into OF if you have spare. 8)

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Slonah
    Well, it increases the damage of the dots. As I said it was not very noticeable, and my spreadsheet only logged it as like an increase of like 20 dps, which doesn't equate to much in a raid where you aren't sitting there nuking.
    Thanks for repeating the tooltip for me.

Now let's engage some critical thinking because we actually understand our class.

DoTs are what.. 10-12% of our damage, perhaps a bit more if you glyph for insect swarm and utilize it?

So each point of genesis is going to give you a 1% increase on 8-10% of your damage.

That's .12% total damage boost per point of Genesis.

Do you really think that's worth it?
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

15+ Year Old Account

Definitely not worth more than one point, but putting one point in instead of moonglow is as far as anyone should go.

Dots do around 20% of my damage (still use 2 piece t9 even i have 4/5 t10 since set bonus wont work yet) and i calculated that since 1 point to genesis gives 0,2% more damage done with 8k dps its 16 dps / talent point.
    so id say Owlkin Frenzy even its pvp talent ant most pve aoe damage wont proc it its still worth to take. Atleast Lana'Thel proc it really often and it's nice dps boost there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre
    Thanks for repeating the tooltip for me.

Now let's engage some critical thinking because we actually understand our class.

DoTs are what.. 10-12% of our damage, perhaps a bit more if you glyph for insect swarm and utilize it?

So each point of genesis is going to give you a 1% increase on 8-10% of your damage.

That's .12% total damage boost per point of Genesis.

Do you really think that's worth it?
    Which is why I'm no longer specced into it. Up until earlier today I didn't think OF worked in PvE situations, so where would you suggest putting those extra talent points? Now that I have read from people here, and seen OF proc tonight on the blood queen, I know that it does work. I have my dots for the raid I was in tonight at a little under 18%, which is not an unsubstantial number. Especially for me as I get stuck out with the ranged getting puked on on festergut and piled in with melee and other ranged on deathwhisperer while the hunters and mages get to nuke bosses. I'm by no means defending genesis here, but if you have to move around more, and you have no other place to put the talent points, buffing your dots seems like a good thing, however minimal of a buff it is.

Yes i know this is offtopic BUT why you use +10 all stats gem on your staff? it gives what, ~3 spellpower and 0,05% crit? It's really useless to casters. and second. Get rid of your fetish, its horrible, i know you can stack it up with starfall but still there is atleast 10 better trinkets.

I still have the +10 stats from when I was stacking spell power gems, I'd have a +10 and a SP/spirit purple gem to fulfill my meta requirement. I know there are better trinkets as well, I just haven't gotten them yet. Whenever my guild runs ToC anymore I tend to bring my pally, as he would benefit more than my druid who only needs Reign off Anub. When I'm on my pally Reign ALWAYS drops, when I'm on my druid it has dropped twice, both time going to mages from my guild. What are the 9 other better ones that you would suggest?

Deleted

Even SP/spi gems will beat a +10 stats gem by a mile. +10 stats accounts for about 3 DPS, a SP/spi is some 20 DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Slonah
    I still have the +10 stats from when I was stacking spell power gems, I'd have a +10 and a SP/spirit purple gem to fulfill my meta requirement. I know there are better trinkets as well, I just haven't gotten them yet. Whenever my guild runs ToC anymore I tend to bring my pally, as he would benefit more than my druid who only needs Reign off Anub. When I'm on my pally Reign ALWAYS drops, when I'm on my druid it has dropped twice, both time going to mages from my guild. What are the 9 other better ones that you would suggest?
    Yes as told that +10 stats is kinda useless, that sp spirit is way better to get your meta working. about trinkets, Reign of the Unliving/dead is really nice but since its kinda hard to get i would aim for Flare of the Heavens (if you still run ulduar) but i would say you wont so aim to Nevermelting Ice Crystal from Pit of Saron OR Abyssal Rune from trial of the champions.