Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Death Knight DPS guide for 3.3 (ask advice questions here)

Hello! I've been working up my little death knight the past few days and I'm currently having a difficult time with my trinkets. I have the Meteorite Whetstone which is quite fine, but what I'm wondering about is wether or not I should be buying the Shard of the Crystal Heart despite being at 298 hit already for the powerful use for my gargoyle in particular- I macro my mark of supremacy, stone form(lol) and haste pots into my gargoyle as it is.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ar&cn=Kerrican

ps. ignore the blood spec.. >.>

Re: Weapon Choice Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by platinumpat3133
    Terrible trinkets and boots aside, I am currently looking as to what might be better overall for my dps at the moment.

I currently have both Bryntroll and Ramaladni's Blade of Culling. I am currently at 24 expertise, and I wanted to know if the difference in having 26 is so great that I should switch weapons to compensate. I have been running ToC 25/ICC 10 religiously since release, but have yet to get either pair of boots or the belt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Until I get some more ArP gear, I have to keep the trinkets to ensure I hit the cap. Is this even worth doing as well?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...maw&cn=Caelynn
    Stick with Bryntroll. As far as your ArP goes, you have 389 passive + 1290 in combined trinket procs totalling 1679 in ArP. The cap is roughly 1400, so you're actually wasting 279 ArP IF your trinkets are proccing at the same time. The difference between 24 and 26 expertise is nothing to worry about, as the Reaping build will allow for a dodge every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinthe
    Hello! I've been working up my little death knight the past few days and I'm currently having a difficult time with my trinkets. I have the Meteorite Whetstone which is quite fine, but what I'm wondering about is wether or not I should be buying the Shard of the Crystal Heart despite being at 298 hit already for the powerful use for my gargoyle in particular- I macro my mark of supremacy, stone form(lol) and haste pots into my gargoyle as it is.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ar&cn=Kerrican

ps. ignore the blood spec.. >.>
    Shard of the Crystal Heart really wont be much of an upgrade over Meteorite Whetstone. I'd say put the emblems to use elsewhere and hope for the trinket from FoS to drop.

For DW frost tanking, would Glyph of Disease be a good choice? Currently I'm 2H tanking and I use Glyph of HB, but because of that I have the bad habit of only using Frost Fever and not using PS a lot. I know 1 disease tanking is bad for DW so, for my laziness is that glyph viable?

Quote Originally Posted by Luztra
    For DW frost tanking, would Glyph of Disease be a good choice? Currently I'm 2H tanking and I use Glyph of HB, but because of that I have the bad habit of only using Frost Fever and not using PS a lot. I know 1 disease tanking is bad for DW so, for my laziness is that glyph viable?
    Ummm yea wrong thread

but anyway..... I don't belive so considering it doesn't refresh icy talons i believe. Using Glyph of HB is generally bad especially if you intend on tanking raid bosses. For heroics it is fine because you simply use a 3 gcd opening rotation- DnD HB BB.

rofl, sorry i thought i clicked the tanking one. my bad!

(edit: on a side note, DW frost tanks don't have icy talons)

Quote Originally Posted by Luztra
    rofl, sorry i thought i clicked the tanking one. my bad!

(edit: on a side note, DW frost tanks don't have icy talons)
    well then personally I see no problem with it although i'm not any good at tanking theorycrafting. (mostly just my personal anecdotes.)

I need help, I'm a pretty decently geared dk and I've done a lot of studying about my class, but I only get around 8-8.5k dps I feel like I could get 9k dps, but don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Armory- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Unholynight

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat...7946#damageout

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat...7895#damageout

My rotation- PS-IT-BS-BS-SS-DC-SS-(DC if ready)-SSx2-DC(DC) (HoW if GCD) repeat

Also on a sidenote, what's better to use? Bryntoll for proc or Cryptmaker ArP?

Quote Originally Posted by Unholynight
    I need help, I'm a pretty decently geared dk and I've done a lot of studying about my class, but I only get around 8-8.5k dps I feel like I could get 9k dps, but don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Stick with your Bryntroll, it -should- be better than Cryptmaker until you get to hard modes. Drop your Victor's Call. Even with the expertise, it's a really crappy trinket. You probably should have finished off 4 pc before getting your sigil, but it's too late to change that now. Swap metas to the 21 crit rating one, the crit rating will be better than the 21 agi + extra red gem. You're skipping some very good yellow sockets. Your boots, for instance, should have a 10Str/10Crit gem in their yellow instead of the 20Str. Same thing for your bracers, gloves, and ring.

Basically what Kumduh said but also, your gem in your head is wrong. Use a 20 strenght one there because it is a red socket and find a blue socket or a yellow for that nightmare tear. Use 10 str 10 crit in ALL yellow sockets if you can get the bonus without having to socket any blues. (as long as the bonus is 3 str or more).

You really shouldn't go 3/5 t10 and 1/5 t9. Its best to go 2/5 t10 and 2/5 t9. And once you have 2 pieces of t10 in your bags swap to 4/5 t10.

You should also get 10 stats to chest. 8 isn't bad but it isn't optimal

Just wondering how is replacing +20str with +10 str, +10 crit worth it if the bonus is only +4 or +6 str? : /

Also since Victor's Call is bad, would it be worth replacing that first once I get a new trinket, although I'd be under expertise capped?

Just wondering how is replacing +20str with +10 str, +10 crit worth it if the bonus is only +4 or +6 str? : /
    You gain more dps from the extra 10 crit than you lose from dropping six strength.

Okay, so I picked up my DK after her being abandoned since Naxx days, specced her DPS Frost, and it was off to the races. I read the thread here and it's good for getting things rolling, but I've got a few questions concerning situations I frequently encounter.

1) I understand that capping RP is undesirable. My general understanding of DK DPS is that the majority comes from rune-based attacks, so it seemed odd to delay runes for the sake of dumping RP. Following the posted priority list strictly would indicate no thought should be given to capping RP, but I just wanted to get a better handle on this.

2) I run into situations a lot where KM procs and I'm about 1-2 seconds from HB becoming available to use against multiple diseased targets. I've really wanted to save that KM to use on a massive HB, but I'm usually struggling to find abilities to fill the gap. For instance, it's often the runes, not the cooldown, I'm waiting on which means in order to fill the time I should be RP-dumping but of course that would consume KM (unless I use Death Coil :-X). It feels wrong to do nothing for a GCD.

3) I don't understand why the AoE rotation is listed as IT-PS-HB-Pest. That just seems distinctly out of order to me considering the 35% AoE gain from putting Pest in front of HB. One thing I was experimenting with was putting BS ahead of HB if KM hadn't procced to give an extra GCD to get an auto-crit from the AoE, but I have no idea if that's a good idea or not.

4) When forced to move out of range of my target am I better off pooling resources until I can continue to rotation or am I better off using ranged abilities? I'm fairly confident spamming my frost/death runes away with IT is a bad idea, but for instance using HB on a single target while having to run away, etc. I've also thrown out a DC or two if I thought I'd cap out on RP before reaching an RP dump "phase" again.

There's probably more but that's all that comes to mind for now.

1. Use blood strike to fill the gap or how.
    2. When any guide says "cap rp" near the top of a priority it means dump the RP if your at 100 (120). So you can generate more without wasting due to being capped.
    3. Should be IT PS PEST HB.....
    4. Generally if the boss is out of melee range (id assume a blood queen type of thing) I personally would use ranged attacks and Death coil only to avoid being capped. But I havnt tested this much really as I am unholy for most fights.

Hello there, thanx for the guide ;D

My english is not my 1st language so I appologies if my post didn't make sence.

I have some problem to pop out 8-9k dps all I can do is 7k dps here is my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...nsus&cn=Hussam (yeah I know my trinkets sucks big time, but hey what can I do thier not easy to get and beside everyone in my guild are after what am after )

My rotatios: Ps>It>Bs>Bs>SS>Dc>HoW>Ss>Dc>Ss>Ss>Dc then repeat

Now i have noticed on above posts that geming for +10str. & +10crit. could increase my dps even of the socket bonus is +4. So what am trying to say how come i can only do 7k dps with my current gear ??? am really confused for example on festerget the maximum dps i pop is between 7-7.3k.

I would appreciate any help even if your being mean to me :'(.

cheers.

1. back enchant 23 haste > 22 agi
    2. no nightmare tear for meta used -> put it in the blue slot in the boots for it and gem the bracers red
    3. gem belt, legs and ring with str/crit (or str/hit, see below)
    4. change your trinkets, buy darkmoond card death and farm needle encrusted scorpion for example (if u are then missing some hit change your str/crit gems for str/hit)
    5. exchange back for might of the ocean serpent (badges cloak) as soon as you can
    6. why did you update your shouldes to 264 before upgrading your helm to 264 ? (reminds me a little on the pvp-noobs "ololol lookz, i got shoulderz !!!" while wearing green questing stuff in other slots) helm is more statsgain for the same token invested.

but these are all minior things, they wont make a 2000 dps difference, I guess...

7.3k on festergut is very low for your gear ... I use the exact same talents, the exact same glyphs and my gear doesnt differ much either (it is a little bit weaker, I still wear 2pt9 and 2pt10 because I had to buy all saronits for my shadowsedge by myself) and Im also blacksmith+jc.
    DPS on Festergut yesterday was 9,6k

are you sure u have complete raid support ?
    did u use a flask + buff food ?
    buff food on your ghul ? http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43005
    ghul on defensive ?

on festergut use the following strat:
    after completely buffed, right before the pull, ask your tank to count down the pull from 5 on.
    when he begins counting pop a indestructable potion http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53905 and than pop army of the dead. when your army is summoned he should be at about 1 or 0 and pull.
    start your rotation (but start with icy touch instead of plaguestrike as u can use it on range)
    icy touch, plague strike, blood strike, blood strike, scourge strike
    heroism should be up after you finished that part, all your procs should be up (darkmoon card, fallen crusader, needle encrusted) and u should have enough rp to summon your gargoyle - do so. as soon as you have 20 rp again use antimagicshell to soak rp (best before a 3-ss-phase becuase of the free gcds). from there on use antimagic shell on cd as long as there is gas on the ground. later in fight you will be able to summon your gargoyle once more, before doing so pop a potion of speed http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40211
    if you do not have to move (because of spores), dont mess up your rotation, and do not miss any important raid support u should be well above 9k with your gear.

Basically what highwind01 said. Except get darkmoon card greatness (90 str one) not death.

Thanx highwind01, ill do the 5 changes as soon as possible (lol about the shoulder well i didnt think about it ).

About the flasks yh i do use with food buff and pet buff, the tactics you wrote ill use and see how the difference. Oh about the trinket: darkmoon card greatness ill need to save up some gold on 1st as I spend all my gold on those damn saronite .

Thanx again for your help

WoW armory wans't working so i use'd this site http://wowranked.com/character.php?n...stmourne&re=US . it loads faster too . Help me some 1 . Look at my gear / stats , can u tell me what i need etc ? cause i only can pull up to 7.8k in icc 25 Saurfang , and roughly 6.5k on 1st wing .

Well,

Going 3/5 t10 and 1/5 t9 is never good.

You shoulud be 2/5 and 2/5 so you can get both bonuses.

Once you have a 4th piece of t10 swap the t9 out and your good.

Unless i'm mistaken you don't have your meta gem activated. Put a nightmare tear into a blue slot (boots prefered that gem is bad atm) and use the 21 agility 3% crit damage gem.

Brought this over from a locked thread

Sup guys, I'm an Unholy DK and lately I've really been having a little trouble with my dps.

My gear has been improving a lot, and my dps hasn't. I'm sitting with my 2-piece T10, and all my other pieces are fairly good.

Here's the problem, I was topping dps in my guild without many problems until a couple of weeks ago, and I would really appreciate any help or tips I could get from some humble Death Knight's on here. This is kinda what I do as I enter a fight (Saurfang or Festergut kinda fight):

Prior to the pull, pop a Indestructible Potion for the free attack power from bladed armor.
    Pop bone shield, for the 2% damage.
    Use army.

Then upon the pull I use the following rotation

IT, PS, BS, BS, SS, DC, HoW
    SS, DC, SS, SS, DC, (DC).

pretty much maintain that rotation throughout the fight.

Of course I pop my gargoyle the first chance I get, so I'm able to pop it again.

NOTE: In a 25man raid, I probably get between 5 and 10 fps, which I'm hoping to hear is the problem, so I can sort it and buy a new graphics card.

Also, in our 25man raids currently, we don't have a perfect setup or whatever, we simply use who is online. We have all the standard buffs etc such as 5% melee crit, paladin buffs and all that crap, but it's not a perfect setup.

I have always pretty much topped meters before and most death knights at my gear level are maintaining 10k+, which is what I should be doing, but instead I'm struggling 9k.

I'm not a bad death knight, and I don't believe I am doing anything wrong at all, or atleast I'm unaware of it, and would really appreciate any help that I could get off you guys

Just tell me anything I'm doing wrong, or not doing at all!

Really, really appreciated :-*