15+ Year Old Account

57/3/11 question

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...FnAJ,q3J,11159

Ok I got that build from the pve guide and had a couple questions. Why 1 point in each arcane subtlety & arcane stability? It just makes more sense to me to either have subtlety maxed out (less threat) or 2 points put into stability (or maxed out and drop TtW). Also Torment the Weak seems more like a pvp or trash pull talent because of it requiring slowed or snared targets to get the bonus dmg. I'm not sure how many bosses can be snared (none that I can think of actually) or slowed especially given the fact that the build doesn't even pick up slow.

Can someone explain the reasoning behind those talents?

Deleted

Re: 57/3/11 question

TtW is one your best talents for 3 points....12% increased damage!!!!!!1
    so how it works.....any target thats slowed triggers this, by this they mean movement/attack speed.
    All bosses can have attack speed slowed by all tanks eg: icy touch

I don't think you should act like experienced mages owe you an answer. And it had only been 30 minutes.

But at least your question wasn't completely easy...

The reason is because Arcane Stability only has a benefit on ODD-Values (1, 3 or maxed at 5) because of the way it stacks with Concentration Aura. In other words 1 point in AS provides the same protection as 2 points, so it's a waste.

The other reason is that good tanks will produce lots of threat, and therefore mages won't need a full 40% reduction in Arcane Threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgg
    TtW is one your best talents for 3 points....12% increased damage!!!!!!1
    so how it works.....any target thats slowed triggers this, by this they mean movement/attack speed.
    All bosses can have attack speed slowed by all tanks eg: icy touch
    Yes. All tanks proc something that gives us the benefit of TtW.

Thunderclap, Icy Touch... something else for Druids and Paladins. If your tank isn't keeping it up 100% of the time they're bad. Not only does it boost mage damage 12% (all raiding mages pick up TtW) but it also boosts their survivability.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgg
    Ok THAT is what I wasn't aware of. When you read "slowed or snared" one would assume its referring to slowed meaning something like frostbolt's slow or any other movement type of slow provided by you or another class. I didn't know it would work off attack speed slowed. Now that makes more sense.

As for the threat reduction, the reasoning I felt it would be better suited there is because of how much threat mages pull as it is given how high of dps mages can and will pull on fights. Rogues have ToT to help with their threat while mages don't have any type of MD for the tank and both pull top dps. And the stability I just felt was a good place for getting all ticks of missles when you get Mbam proc to prevent pushback from clipping one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Loklar
    Yes. All tanks proc something that gives us the benefit of TtW.

Thunderclap, Icy Touch... something else for Druids and Paladins.
    Judgements of the Just and Infected wounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...J,q3JReO,11159

The one point in Arcane Stability would serve more purpose in Arcane Subtlety.

I don't like to go for increased range on spells (most fights are in a small room anyway...) and I put those points into Magic Absorption.

The 2 points in Frostbite are useless, put them into Imp. Frostbolt (You are going to need something to cast if you get silenced, ect. Reducing the time on a frostbolt seems to help more then giving frost spells a chance to snare.)

Quote Originally Posted by Loklar
    The reason is because Arcane Stability only has a benefit on ODD-Values (1, 3 or maxed at 5) because of the way it stacks with Concentration Aura. In other words 1 point in AS provides the same protection as 2 points, so it's a waste.

U sure about that? Pallys Concentration aura gives a 35% reduce pushback, with two points in Arcane stability u gain 40% so together it would make 75% right? How is that a waste comparing to 1 point which would give 55% total reduction? Each point gives 20% more reduce pushback untill u get to 100% so cant really call it a waste right? Am i wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by Soete

U sure about that? Pallys Concentration aura gives a 35% reduce pushback, with two points in Arcane stability u gain 40% so together it would make 75% right? How is that a waste comparing to 1 point which would give 55% total reduction? Each point gives 20% more reduce pushback untill u get to 100% so cant really call it a waste right? Am i wrong here?
    It's about pushback threshholds. 1 point will save x of 5 of your missiles, 2 will save that same number, 3 will save more, 4 will save that same number. It's just how pushback of channels works.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthen
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...J,q3JReO,11159

The one point in Arcane Stability would serve more purpose in Arcane Subtlety.

I don't like to go for increased range on spells (most fights are in a small room anyway...) and I put those points into Magic Absorption.

The 2 points in Frostbite are useless, put them into Imp. Frostbolt (You are going to need something to cast if you get silenced, ect. Reducing the time on a frostbolt seems to help more then giving frost spells a chance to snare.)

have you been to ICC yet? small rooms? putricide room is not small by all means, extra range, more time for adds, less movement. Saurfang more range for blood beasts. Marrowgar, more range for bone spikes if needed. Blood prince, more range to attack kinetic bombs.

Extra Range is very nice to have. Pushback resistance is almost never needed.
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

The issue of how many points to put in knockback protection is a big issue, personally i want to wait for the rest of icc to come out before i fully decide. So far the only fight with any significant pushback seems to be lady deathwhisper with the shadowbolts and frostbolt volleys (+ her annoying trash).

Otherwise all other fights so far do not give any level of pushback worth speccing into arc conc for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobber
    The issue of how many points to put in knockback protection is a big issue, personally i want to wait for the rest of icc to come out before i fully decide. So far the only fight with any significant pushback seems to be lady deathwhisper with the shadowbolts and frostbolt volleys (+ her annoying trash).

Otherwise all other fights so far do not give any level of pushback worth speccing into arc conc for.
    For heroic modes I may drop one point from sub into conc, but that depends if the pushback fights have intense dps requirements or not. I don't foresee myself needing it for marrowgar, since I doubt I'll be able to sit and nom nom bone storm on heroic.

3 points in Arcane Stabilty is a must now in ICC with all the AoE going off in the encounters. You cant afford to loose any DPS from AM casts. Take a look at Blood Princes and Blood Queen for instance. Constant AoE dmg from all quarters all of the time. Plus the extra range is defo needed from Magc Attunement. With all the Hit on gear now u can afford to drop a couple of points from Arcane Focus.

Threat shouldn't be an issue now... most tanks can easily pump out the numbers that I hardly pay attention to Omen anymore as the tanks are so far ahead I could spam AB till I'm Oom and not worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by Doriangray
    3 points in Arcane Stabilty is a must now in ICC with all the AoE going off in the encounters. You cant afford to loose any DPS from AM casts. Take a look at Blood Princes and Blood Queen for instance. Constant AoE dmg from all quarters all of the time. Plus the extra range is defo needed from Magc Attunement. With all the Hit on gear now u can afford to drop a couple of points from Arcane Focus.

Threat shouldn't be an issue now... most tanks can easily pump out the numbers that I hardly pay attention to Omen anymore as the tanks are so far ahead I could spam AB till I'm Oom and not worry about it
    Queens aoe doesn't pushback. Prince's dont have much random damage, just flame ball things...