Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought the CD.

And I'd probably suggest Deathspell Omega, The Axis of Perdition and Mayhem instead. Even seen the name Dutchspell Omega being bandied.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Bought the CD.

And I'd probably suggest Deathspell Omega, The Axis of Perdition and Mayhem instead. Even seen the name Dutchspell Omega being bandied.
    You're right, DSO would be more accurate. I've been going through this thread and I like a lot of what you have posted so far, we seem to have a similar taste when it comes to metal.

Ash Borer, cascadian black metal that I actually like.

A bit different doom/drone metal with female vocals. The intro cracks me up every time.

I never used to listen to much metal as I didn't realise there was too much variety other than the hideously bad "Death Metal" anyway a few years ago I was dating a guy who loved Metal and was into power Metal. He introduced me to bands like Sonata Arctica and Dragonforce, Disturbed as well as Nightwish (which I know is not classed as power metal) and Lordi...

I don't know if it's me but the bands mentioned don't seem to be producing the same quality albums these days...

With Nightwish I loved when Tarja was their lead singer and thought they produced fantastic music. Their new lead singer Annette is also great and Dark Passion Play is one of my all time favourite albums however recently Imagenarium was released and it's just not catching me like DPP or Tarja's songs...

I love Sonata Arctica's old albums and Unia have some extremely memorable songs as well as the completely epic song Full Moon but SA's last album "Days of gray" or whatever it's called... they've completely changed their style, no longer considered as Power Metal now but that album was apparently progressive and in my opionion it sucked as it didn't sound like the SA I first heard and loved. I stopped paying any attention to them after that last album

Disturbed I'm not too sure of. 10,000 fists is a fantastic album I love it to pieces but some of their other work kinda sucks and I did not like their new album in the slightest so i've stopped paying attention to them too...

I quite liked Dragonforce's album Ultra Beatdown and they were fun to watch live. I heard something about a new album for them (it might already be out) but I havn't really looked much into it.

I don't mind saying though I will be interested to see the Imaginarum movie. Not expecting it to be good but want to see it anyway

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

10+ Year Old Account
    CDs arrived today!

*does happy jig*

Awesome fucking album cover.

Non-related, but still also fucking awesome.

Love how clear and earthy the bass feels.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-01-31 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted
    Arizmenda has really gotta get more attention:

Probably my favorite bm band for the last few years, so psyched that they are playing in Cologne in March!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Awesome fucking album cover.
    Thanks. Really taken with it myself. Friend of ours drew it. Shame he passed away way too young or we'd have had him do the upcoming album as well =/

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    having been a fan of metal since the day i first heard "Screaming for Vengeance" from Judas Priest coming from my older brothers car, i learned right away about some amazing singers in metal; Halford, Dickenson, Dio, etc etc... my question is WHY do some singer choose to scream, growl, bark, whatever, when they CAN actually sing. A great example or two are the following...
    why do you suppose they chose to scream... note i think the non screaming versions, but you get the idea, if you know these two bands, there are more, but these are two that popped in my mind. I suppose Slipknot falls into this category as well.
    For one, growl / scream vocals that are widely used today are really just a natural progression of things in metal. It's an overall genre that seems to re-define itself slowly over time, and this generally happens by adding more of something.. be it speed, anger, a sense of evil, or stark contrast. I mean... look at a band like Slayer in the late 80's, and how fast folks thought that music was... fast forward the clock, and now listen to Nile.

So anyhow, yeah... vocals had to evolve somehow, and get angrier with the music that was going in that direction.

From a song construction standpoint, however, scream / growl vocals have an inherent advantage that the only thing they really need to worry about is lyric phrasing. The vocals are technically atonal, hence the musicians are also given free reign to play pretty much whatever comes to mind, and string together progressions that wouldn't work very well with melodic vocals.

I'm in love with Hypocrisy for the moment.

Fuck this album is good. Who care how much of a douche HHH is; this drummer is the most impressive Metal drummer I've heard in years. Better than Ulcerate's percussion.

Band doesn't get much notice, maybe cause of where they are from, but in my opinion they are one of the top 5 metal bands out there. I tend to like eclectic stuff though. Linking the live version cause IMO its better than the album version.

And another favorite for those who are a more gothic/orchestral mind, no one beats these guys. (The second track is more power metalish)

Deleted
    Ah, it's been a long time last I listened to Craft. Great band indeed.

Deleted
    Manowar - best metal band of all time, in my humble view.

Heidevolk - Because Dutch folk metal is glorious.

Sabaton - Have accomplished the telling feat of singing about war as a mixture of glory and hell.

Tyr - Faroesian heathen metal band, and the lead vocalist's beard is BRAIDED.

Deleted

Hehehehe.

Deleted
    Found this today, thought it was pretty funny and pretty accurate in some cases.
    1.01 Introduction and physiology
    The metalhead (Lat. Flagellum Dei) is an interesting creature. Ever since its introduction in Europe in the early 1980s, the presence of the metalhead has been especially noticeable in its habitat, which has mainly consisted of milky white suburban areas, villages situated in the outskirts of medium-sized, rural municipalities, and the Graspop camping site. The males, with their low and obnoxiously loud voices, long, dusty mane, and somewhat unrefined movement, are easy to distinguish from other, more colourful species, such as the skater (Excrementus Inventadus), the emo (Fundamenta Concussa), the hiphopper (Extra Domum) and the attention-whoring goth skank (Felo De Se). Females, however, are recognised by their commonly oversized posture, their poisonously colourful hair and their low self-esteem. In this respect, the female metalhead perhaps most resembles the attention-whoring goth skank. In case of doubt, you can easily recognise the female metalhead by her submissive, sexually extrovert behaviour when placed within a five-kilometre radius of a rock star. Members of local wannabe bands will also suffice.

Model 1.01a. In case of extreme insecurity or shamelessness, and/or absence of self-reflection, metalheads will develop an exoskeleton that protects them against all forms of social contact.

1.02 Life cycle
    The transition from the larval phase to the metalhead phase usually occurs between the twelfth and fourteenth life year of the specimen. The appearance of the metalhead is nearly always darker than that of the larva. Additionally, the hair length will increase in nearly all cases. According to some currents within in the realm of troll studies, this is the result of the decreasing bodily hygiene, which in turn serves to improve the immune system. Interestingly enough, the duration of the metalhead phase may differ greatly per individual. On average, the metalhead evolves into the glass-wearing hipster in its early twenties. Curiously enough, however, some skip this phase entirely, and transform immediately into the boring pen pusher (Agnus Diabolus). Scientists have not yet been able to determine the cause of this phenomenon, but some suggest that the chances of the metalhead of skipping the glass-wearing hipster stadium decrease when he is placed in the vicinity of a university campus.

2.01 General communication
    The most distinctive feature of the metalhead (and this applies to both genders) may very well be its call. It is commonly characterised by anglicisms and superlatives, preferably in combination with each other. When you register sounds such as ‘awesome!‘, ‘epic!‘ or ‘Slayer!‘, chances are that you are dealing with a genuine metalhead. In case of doubt, attempt to determine whether the creature utters the sound ‘ey, man!‘ at the end of sentences, for then you will be sure that it is not the teenager to hip for its own sake (Ira Deorum) you are dealing with, instead.

2.02 Behaviour
    Generally speaking, the metalhead is not dangerous and is likely to just panic in case of sudden movement. It is recommendable nevertheless, to conceal your presence for as long as possible, for the behaviour of the metalhead is best observed when the specimen is not disturbed or under the influence of stress. The metalhead is, within the zoomorphic context of this analysis, a social creature. It feels the most comfortable in packs with four to five congeners. Within the comfort of a pack, the metalhead tends to display more extrovert behaviour than when he is alone. For example, the creature seems to take pleasure in showing a(n often faked) interest in unusual activities, such as watching Sesame Street, blowing bubbles, asking a homeless person if it can be its friend, shouting “whores!” and, in extreme cases, public masturbation. Members of a pack often communicate with each other using codes. These codes can be, for example, certain calls, such as the ones mentioned in paragraph 2.01, or the attribution of special semantic values to seemingly random words (such as ‘sugar waffles’), values that are generally only recognised and understood by members of a certain pack. Scientific concensus dictates that this method of communication serves to strengthen the bond between the members of a given pack.

Model 2.02a. A faked interest put to practice: watering the plants.
    2.03 Territoriality
    While the metalhead mostly is a kind-spirited creature, it can, in fact, react rather fiercely when territoriality comes into play. The peculiarity of territoriality among metalheads can be found in the fact that it is mainly expressed in a communicative rather than physical manner. For instance, some metalheads, mostly leaders of a pack, can mark their territory by proving their dominance over other species and even other packs by means of their music taste. During this curious ritual, calls such as ‘true‘and ‘old school‘ can be heard frequently. Be cautious, however, not to confuse this type of metalhead with the attractive academic, who can also choose to show their dominance by means of their music taste, but take a far less offensive approach, mainly apply their own analyses and thoughts instead of prebaked arguments taken from metal forums, and have a tendency to disguise their attacks in subtleties. The metalhead can also choose to attempt and triumph over other species using its political preferences. This is a delicate process that normally involves registering and subsequently twisting the statement of another species, after which an attack is launched in the form of an indignant rebuttal. The motivation for this offensive strategy can be found in extremities, such as obnoxious political correctness or mundane right-wing extremism.

2.04 Interaction
    When it does occur that you are discovered during the observation of a pack, there is no reason to be afraid. As was already confirmed earlier, the metalhead is relatively harmless, and the members of a pack will, at most, try to overwhelm you with redundant, predictable humour. When this happens, do not panic: the metalhead is a shy creature extremely sensitive to witty remarks, a sudden aggressive and unreasonable approach, false accusations and mad social skillz. As such, feel free to resort to any of these methods to chase the metalhead back into its shell.

3.01 Conclusion
    The metalhead is, as said, an interesting creature. The unique combination of shyness and slight overconfidence can be found in few other species. If you do decide to dedicate yourself to the observation of this extraordinary being, make sure you reserve some carefulness. Ever since the late 1980s, the numbers of the metalhead have been dwindling, slowly but steadily reducing its presence back to the limits of its original habitat. A coarse approach would only speed up this process, seeing as the subsequent stress is enough to drive some species to (claim to) contemplate suicide. And in the end, it is our duty to make sure that future generations can still behold the metalhead in its natural surroundings instead of captivity (i.e. youth detention and psychiatric wards).

German nautical funeral doom whale metal:

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 08:24 PM ----------

Deleted

Btw, have you guys checked this years upcoming albums? Holy crap!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ro5CP3XOo
    Myrkgrav! That band really reminds me of my mid teens. Great stuff! Feeling really nostalgic right now.

Side project of members of Gris and Sombres Forets, good stuff.

What's up with the dutch nowadays? They have made some amazing BM in the last few years.

Band from my hometown. Progressive Metal (with some BM influences)

10+ Year Old Account