Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    apocalyptica - not strong enough
    apocalyptica - i don´t care
    metallica - unforgiven
    my favourite

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure Duilliath posted this earlier, but what the fuck. Enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I posted them a couple of times as well

The most anticipated black metal release for me this year:

Black metal this year is phenomenal.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-06-30 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    I'm just not into Black Metal personally, but its growing on me little by little, who knows.

Especially enjoyed Children of Bodom at Sonisphere, they were really good, and a band I'd never payed any attention to. Behemoth were interesting as well, guy sounds like a demon, plus they had Decapitated's drummer: what a beast he is, sounds like a gatling gun.

Hm...somehow I managed to miss the fact that Finntroll put out a new album this year. I suck at keeping up with new stuff (except new Within Temptation album coming out in September...I'm definitely looking forward to that).

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    I'm just not into Black Metal personally, but its growing on me little by little, who knows.
    Same here, but I love all forms of metal. I don't listen to black metal very frequently, but it's one of those things where I will occasionally stumble across a song on YouTube or something and think "Wow...that sounds awesome."

I really love black metal that has symphonic elements though. Some Dimmu Borgir (anything from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is a good example) stuff comes to mind. I could listen to that all day.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-06-30 at 03:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The most anticipated black metal release for me this year:

[clip]
    For me as well. Sounds very promising.

On another note, went to see Bolt Thrower live this past weekend and have to say they kicked some serious ass. Too bad it was their only european show this year as far as I know.

Here's some more good stuff from this year:

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a pleasant surprise:

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post

Especially enjoyed Children of Bodom at Sonisphere, they were really good, and a band I'd never payed any attention to. Behemoth were interesting as well, guy sounds like a demon, plus they had Decapitated's drummer: what a beast he is, sounds like a gatling gun.
    Eh Bodom is kinda all over the black, death and power genres. "Abrahadabra" is a pretty good "getting into black metal" record honestly, very melodic, well compossed and still quite heavy.

Also, meanwhile in Skyrim; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNj9zU_2onw
    Last edited by Venziir; 2013-07-01 at 12:54 PM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Speaking of Skyrim...this may have been posted already, but I didn't see it if it was:

This dude is fucking boss. He has all kinds of metal versions of various stuff.

I feel like people will hate what I posted, none the less I still really like them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember doing a review for them ages ago. The name tickled my fancy, but the music wasn't all to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I remember doing a review for them ages ago. The name tickled my fancy, but the music wasn't all to my liking.
    At least you were open to them, which I can't say for a lot of people now a days.
    I honestly listen to more of things like Infant Annihilator and Rings of Osiris, but I doubt they count towards the metal category.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    At least you were open to them, which I can't say for a lot of people now a days.
    I honestly listen to more of things like Infant Annihilator and Rings of Osiris, but I doubt they count towards the metal category.
    You mean Rings of Saturn or Born of Osiris?

But anyways deathcore IS metal, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Not like any music's enjoyment is lessened or greatened whether you are able to list it into the "metal" category or not but it IS metal.

When it comes to metalcore it is a bit more tight because most of the so called "melodic metalcore" IS metal since they use gothenburg and thrash riffs all the time, with different structures and a hardcore rhythm base, however there are metalcore bands that are more rooted in 90s melodic hardcore and post-hardcore than metal. But pretty much deathcore ever since its inception mixed death metal with melodic death metal and melodic metalcore so it is definitely metal.

There are a couple of deathcore bands that have actual hardcore in their music like Animosity, Despised Icon and maybe early Between The Buried And Me (yeh their first 2 albums are pretty much early, raw and a bit "immature" (in the sense that genre conventions haven't been established yet, NOT in the sense of the music which is miles ahead in maturity of 90% of the genre) deathcore and that band contributed a lot to the formation of the genre both by itself and by their members in Glass Casket), but those bands tend to have much more actual death metal in their music than most of the genre so they are easily metal too.

And since we are at deathcore, people really should listen to this EP:

Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2013-07-02 at 09:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    *shrug* There's tons of metal I dislike. The aforementioned Children of Bodom being an excellent example. Doesn't mean I should begrudge people their right to listen to it if they do enjoy that sort of music. Nor does it mean that I am not entitled to my own opinion (most of the metal I dislike I consider 'metal for beginners' or 'metal painting by numbers'.)

But if you find something in Chelsea Grin or Infant Annihilator (honestly... that really is a poorly chosen name) or Crikey or 36 Crazyfists or Oceano or... be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Chelsea Grin is one of two deathcore bands that I like (or rather used to like).
    When I first listened to Chelsea Grin I liked them because their vocalist was pretty unconventional but he changed his vocals so they sound way less exciting to me.
    The only other deathcore band I like is A Legacy Unwritten and that's solely for their song Six.

Besides that I'm more into melodic death or progressive metal.
    I like two songs off their new EP, that's just Lilith and Don't Ask Don't Tell, just because it's nice to have a little variety with their songs, not always the same with each, which I like in those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    You mean Rings of Saturn or Born of Osiris?
    Wow I did it again, I was talking to my brother the other day and did the same thing, I don't know why I say that, but I meant Rings of Saturn.

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    One of the best current metal bands IMO. It's in Swedish but the international language of music can be understood nevertheless. The lyrics are very, very good..

Last edited by mmocb6730ad4ad; 2013-07-03 at 12:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Rings of Saturn's second album Dingir has some pretty good songs, but they don't sound like a "typical" deathcore band to me.
    Because their music has tons of tech/brutal death elements, similiar to what - say - Origin does.

Signal The Firing Squad is another similiar deathcore band that plays a lot in those territories.

And speaking of Origin also got me in the mood for some Origin:

Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2013-07-03 at 01:39 PM.

Deleted
    Heading up to Gothenburg - Metaltown tomorrow. Can't wait to see one of my favorite bands live.

Deleted
    The only track I could find off youtube from this solid album. A step up from World Cremation for sure.

Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2013-07-03 at 03:42 PM.