Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny. Used to be the other way round, that. (RoB - Nagelfar)

--

Let's make Fencers happy:

Deleted

Saw Iron Reagan, Deicide, Entombed AD and Hate Eternal this weekend.

Iron Reagan were fucking GREAT. Tons of energy, the crowd was super into the set. They played a medium size-ish club and that was the only real downside- there wasn't enough space for the hyped crowd. They played a pretty long-ish set, just under an hour. They even slipped in a couple of Municipal Waste songs, which only made the audience go even more nuts.

Entombed were disappointing. The mic-ing maybe wasn't so good. Because every thing sounded sorta out-of-tune and like a lot of fuzz in the guitar tone. They looked like they were struggling with the sound set up early on too. After a bit of fiddling before the third song, the guitars sounded slightly less muddled. But they were only playing a like a 30 minute set and the drums still sounded bad- like over amplified and in a well. It was bad.

Deicide were TIGHT. All business. They played almost an hour- a lot of classic cuts, some new stuff. It all sounded great and performed with aplomb. There isn't mush to say really. Avery "professional" performance. Just really tight sounding. Crowd was losing their minds, as usual. Some crowd surfing dude almost crushed me again.

Hate Eternal wrecked. Oh shit, they sounded great. Not as tight in performance as Deicide, but they had a brilliant energy. They played "I, Monarch", "Judas" and "Bron by Fire" and the crowd were super into it all. Also played some new-ish songs, those were so-so but the energy was still great. The set was pummeling, relentless, with the entire place trashing and headbanging nonstop. Horns up.

I live in a very "death metal" town. So people do turn up for these shows hyped far more than they do for the (few) Black Metal bands that come through. I'll be seeing Deafheaven, Taake and maybe Sacrificial Massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    This is really good btw.

10+ Year Old Account

And though it's a one off, this should be included:

Wildly inaccurately named, but fun regardless:

- - - Updated - - -

Hm... Actually *jazz* + metal. Have some alternative stuff:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. Here. This might make my life easier: http://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/commen...wl/jazz_metal/

//edit: Though they don't even mention Aghora. Odd.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2015-06-01 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Can anyone in here recommend some bands that incorporate brass/string instruments into their sound? I'm not looking for anything symphonic or orchestral though. I guess I just want some jazz + metal subgenre since I've been listening to Colin Stetson's work a lot lately.
    Atheist
    Cynic
    Exivious
    Ephel Duath
    Kayo Dot
    maudlin of the Well
    The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
    Spastic Ink
    Blotted Science
    Shining (NOR)
    Solefald

Can anyone in here recommend some bands that incorporate brass/string instruments into their sound? I'm not looking for anything symphonic or orchestral though. I guess I just want some jazz + metal subgenre since I've been listening to Colin Stetson's work a lot lately.
    Cynic, Atheist, Rotting Christ.

Edit: Conflux, Dan Weiss Trio, Ephel Duath.

Re-edit: Hellhamster's list.

Edit #3: Canvas Solaris, Octopus, Forgotten Silence [pretty brutal].

Edit #4: My recommendations are more along the "Jazz+Metal" mode of thinking rather than strictly acoustic brass & string instrumentation. Bands like Octopus and Cynic are very complex though- intentionally using Jazz derived structure, time signature and technique.

HellHammer is actually a jazz drummer. His technique is one of the most difficult to master and was developed in part by Krupa [greatest of all time] and Chapin.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-06-01 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    HellHammer is actually a jazz drummer. His technique is one of the most difficult to master and was developed in part by Krupa [greatest of all time] and Chapin.
    I favour Sir Proscriptor McGovern for that. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find jazz in Absu's music, other than his drumming.

Till Lindemann from Rammstein has a new solo album coming out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, he's working together with Peter Tägtren. It sounds exactly like you would imagine - Pain with the dude from Rammstein on vocals.

Never heard a Rammstein song I did not regret listening to afterward.

Sorry for the negativity but gag me with a freaking spoon. UGH.

10+ Year Old Account
    If by "a little bit" you mean "it's freaking obvious", then yes I would agree with you.

I've had the new Paradise Lost album on repeat since it leaked. The CD should arrive in my mail any day now.

I don't really like Rammstein aside from like 2 or 3 songs, but that didn't stop me from atleast listening to the preview that came out some time ago and I think that Lindemann should stay away from english vocals. The german language is a lot more fitting for his vocal style and I think that he's not a native speaker shows a little bit in his pronounciation. It's not horrible but definitely subpar if you compare it to his performance in Rammstein.
    He wanted to do something that varied from Rammstein so that is why the vocals are in english. Why make a solo project that is a clone of Rammstein?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    He wanted to do something that varied from Rammstein so that is why the vocals are in english. Why make a solo project that is a clone of Rammstein?
    Money.

10 chars.

10+ Year Old Account

Melodic black/folk metal with a medieval aesthetic.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing a lot of hype for this and it's not even out.

Stoner/sludge.

10+ Year Old Account

The pinnacle of depressive black metal.

10+ Year Old Account

This is nice and warm. It's reminiscent of BAN's 777 industrial black metal records mixed with shoegaze, ambient and noise.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-06-08 at 03:06 PM.