Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    I wasn't referring to 'hipster metal' like it was it's own genre; I meant metal, these days, is becoming more hipster because kids will post new bands no one has ever heard of. I was listening to some of the music people had posted on this thread, 75% is garbage. I think we as a community need to agree that there is a reason these bands haven't sold any albums (not implying album sales mean everything).
    Though I tend to strongly adhere to the "do not feed the troll" philosophy, let me impart a few words here:
    - Venom's initial albums were universally reviled.
    - Motorhead's initial reception was far from an unmitigated glorious victory.
    - Black Sabbath garnered a lot of initial resistance, due to their supposedly satanic content.

I could continue with quite a few bands, many of whom have gone on to be hugely influential.

No one is denying you the right to remain living in those past glory days. We do think, however, it's quite silly to come in denouncing other people's taste in music as if only yours can be 'correct'.

Much as I dislike some of the music other people are posting here, I do not begrudge them the right to listen to it. I simply skip to the next post. If you do not find something to your liking, move on. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Though I tend to strongly adhere to the "do not feed the troll" philosophy, let me impart a few words here:
    - Venom's initial albums were universally reviled.
    - Motorhead's initial reception was far from an unmitigated glorious victory.
    - Black Sabbath garnered a lot of initial resistance, due to their supposedly satanic content.

I could continue with quite a few bands, many of whom have gone on to be hugely influential.

No one is denying you the right to remain living in those past glory days. We do think, however, it's quite silly to come in denouncing other people's taste in music as if only yours can be 'correct'.

Much as I dislike some of the music other people are posting here, I do not begrudge them the right to listen to it. I simply skip to the next post. If you do not find something to your liking, move on. It's that simple.
    Didn't mention anyone by name lol. This guy is offended why?

Ignore function is glorious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Didn't mention anyone by name lol. This guy is offended why?
    Not offended. Just right. It was a shit tier quality post. Feel free to try again and do better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Not offended. Just right. It was a shit tier quality post. Feel free to try again and do better though.
    not you, the emo guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    We metalheads are very easy to troll because we're music fanatics. Call it Stoicism if you like, but I just really think that defending your beliefs by simultaneously knowing full well you're being trolled is a very good personality trait to have, as opposed to the kindergarten variety trolling we get here from time to time.

Oh, I so was a metalhead in my teens, even played in a band doing CoB covers and own songs who did some small live playings. Was pretty fun. Started off with power metal, then slowly diverged into other sub-genres, ending up loving gothenburg metal above all. Having to make a top list, though... will be difficult, since I'm not a teenager and my taste in music has changed quite a bit.

#5 Nightwish
    #4 Sonata Arctica
    #3 Dark Tranquillity
    #2 In Flames
    #1 Enslavement of Beauty

The only name most people won't recognize is probably EoB, who is a Norwegian melodic black/gothic metal band with lyrics inspired by Shakespear and de Sade. They only released 2 albums in 98-01, and I've literally no idea why I love them, but their album Megalomania has always been #1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyldragon View Post
    Oh, I so was a metalhead in my teens, even played in a band doing CoB covers and own songs who did some small live playings. Was pretty fun. Started off with power metal, then slowly diverged into other sub-genres, ending up loving gothenburg metal above all. Having to make a top list, though... will be difficult, since I'm not a teenager and my taste in music has changed quite a bit.

#5 Nightwish
    #4 Sonata Arctica
    #3 Dark Tranquillity
    #2 In Flames
    #1 Enslavement of Beauty

The only name most people won't recognize is probably EoB, who is a Norwegian melodic black/gothic metal band with lyrics inspired by Shakespear and de Sade. They only released 2 albums in 98-01, and I've literally no idea why I love them, but their album Megalomania has always been #1 for me.
    I more or less went the same way, although I started out listening to stuff I wouldn't be caught dead with now (yes, I was a Limp Bizkit fan at one point). Living in a rural area and being years behind everyone else when it came to decent Internet access made it hard to keep up with anything that wasn't on MTV and/or VH1, so I had to take whatever bones they tossed my way. I was all about Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc, until I finally got some decent Internet access and befriended a dude on IRC who was a big Nightwish fan.

But yeah, once I discovered Nightwish and got curious about more stuff that sounded like them, I found all kinds of awesome stuff. Symphonic metal along the lines of Nightwish/Epica and melodic death along the lines of Dark Tranquillity/older In Flames are my preferred sounds now and have been for quite some time, but I like a little bit of everything. Black metal isn't my thing as much, but I do like a select few, particularly stuff along the lines of Abyssos (which is no longer around and hasn't been for quite some time, sadly).

"Folk" sounding stuff like Eluveitie and Korpiklaani is my thing right now.

edit: I'm 30 now. Became a Nightwish fan around age 15-16 (not long before Century Child came out).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-12-29 at 03:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit

3 more months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    You're pretty l8 on that m8 :P
    You're right.

As a warning before you do anything, those are male tits. OK maybe they aren't.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-12-29 at 11:19 PM.

Wow. The "die by my hand" part on Creeping Death sounds pretty awesome on that.

I love Ride the Lightning. It's definitely my favorite Metallica release and pretty high on my list of overall favorites.

That version of Fade to Black, lol.
    I actually haven't listened to Metallica in a long time.
    Same here actually, but then they have been fairly quiet in terms of new content over the last several years as well (something like two new albums in the last...what, 18 years?), so that may be one reason for me. I like to just pretend that St. Anger never happened but thought Death Magnetic wasn't bad and have otherwise been a fan of everything they've released over the years, including stuff like Load/Reload.

I was all about Metallica in my teenage years though. It was funny to hear the difference when Reload was my first taste, and I didn't pick up Ride the Lightning until later.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-12-31 at 05:03 PM.

Some did a 33RPM version of Reign in Blood too. I think it's awesome.

All the open verses sound amazingly sinister; "Sickening ways to achieve, the holocaust." is bone chilling and far more sinister than as it was originally recorded.

Coincidentally, and speaking of thrash metal, I am late to the Gamma Bomb and Black Fast records from this year. They are excellent!
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-12-31 at 05:26 PM.

Is it just me or do all the old thrash metal records at 33 RPM really just sound like old school death metal with a bit of doom/sludge in there?
    Definitely more doom/sludgey. Though I think the 33RPM setting really sounds like old school death metal- which was still kinda fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a great 2016, you fellow metalheads!

I'm having a hard time choosing a favorite 2015 release, but as a lover of symphonic metal, I think I'm going with

I love the theme and haven't found a track on this album that I dislike. The Simone Simons guest vocals on Edge of Steel were a nice touch as well. As big of a Nightwish fan as I am, Endless Forms Most Beautiful didn't do it for me as much as King of Kings did. Edge of Steel and Vengeance Venom are my favorite tracks.

Speaking of Simone Simons, Epica's next album is supposed to be in the works and slated for an early 2016 release last I heard, so I guess that's my most anticipated 2016 album so far. Really hoping I'll get to go see them next month.

And yeah, happy new year! I guess we don't always have the exact same tastes here, but I'm sure 2016 will have something for all of us.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-01-02 at 03:06 PM.

Aside from that I also like Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, and some parts of their debut. I haven't listened to the rest. I think I first started really getting into their early albums when a friend of mine got Guitar Hero Metallica, lol. I didn't really care too much about them before that.
    They kinda took shit from some of their 80s fans after the self-titled album up through the 90s because they changed their sound a lot (sorta like how the same happened to In Flames). I was still a fan of both styles, but the fan base got divided a lot between people who liked the old stuff vs people who liked the new stuff. For example, here's something from Load and something from Reload. Both sound very, very little like the stuff from the Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets days:

Fuel was the first Metallica song I heard, so after I was used to Reload and started listening to Ride the Lightning, I was even wondering if they'd gotten a different singer or something in the time between albums. But yeah, I didn't have any problems with Load or Reload myself. I actually enjoyed both albums.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-01-02 at 04:21 PM.

Deleted
    Guns and Roses reunion is happening.

Mental, never thought it'd happen.

Deleted
    In other news Linkin Park are back in the studio to record another clanger.