Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    We Can't Dance tour, 1992.
    Pretty sure I had learned to walk by then.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Wormed is absolutely insane

I only just found out Wormed existed, checked their entire discography yesterday. Great stuff

10+ Year Old Account

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. FUCK YEA

10+ Year Old Account
    Checked Wormed, but it really doesn't do anything for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen Genesis as a three piece. Yea, I'm actually old. We Can't Dance tour, 1992. When they played "Land of Confusion" I lost my shit. But I would give a kidney to have seen Genesis with Gabriel.
    My favorite material is the 70's stuff (including the first two albums with Phil on lead vocal), but I would go see Genesis just for the fuck of it, even without Gabriel or Hackett. I think Tony Banks is one of the best keyboardists of all time.

I saw Steve Hackett play two years in a row. He did amazing renditions of Genesis songs.

I also would give anything to see a Gabriel era Genesis gig. Same goes for a Close to the Edge era Yes or Master of Reality era Sabbath gig.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

????
    New Nokturnal Mortum?? How did I not know this was coming

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Gave their first album a very brief listen and it didn't sound too interesting, but Exodromos and Krighsu are great.

In my opinion, they are probably the only band to do brutal death metal well. They had tinges of technical death and slam death in their music here and there and they did a pretty good job of implementing them.

Right now I feel like I might review it soon, so I might just drop a link here if I do end up doing so and people are interested in reading it at all.
    I'll read it when you drop it. There are lots of albums on Sputnikmusic that aren't reviewed that I've thought about trying my hand at reviewing, then I just get lazy and end up not.

Sabaton: Probably my favourite metal band out there. The history behind all of their songs is a big thing for me. I started listening to them back in 2006 or so. Never had the chance to attend one of their live shows, but I'll get that chance eventually. This is probably my favourite song by them atm, but this whole album is really nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    In my opinion, they are probably the only band to do brutal death metal well. They had tinges of technical death and slam death in their music here and there and they did a pretty good job of implementing them.

Right now I feel like I might review it soon, so I might just drop a link here if I do end up doing so and people are interested in reading it at all.
    Dunno. Just found it very bland and formulaic. Then again, that goes for the vast majority of that kind of death metal.

--

I'll refrain from posting my opinion on your favourite band, Ghouldan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouldan View Post
    Sabaton: Probably my favourite metal band out there. The history behind all of their songs is a big thing for me. I started listening to them back in 2006 or so. Never had the chance to attend one of their live shows, but I'll get that chance eventually. This is probably my favourite song by them atm, but this whole album is really nice.

The best thing Sabaton's singer has ever done is discover/sign Twilight Force.

Don't care that this is the cheesiest shit out there right now, fantastic power metal band.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Andi Deris has been in Helliween since 1993. He certainly isn't "new". I also dislike his voice though. Kiske is overrated in my opinion. His range is great, but he's lacking in power and control. Different styles, but Hansi Kursch and Ralf Scheepers destroy Kiske.
    Amen to that indeed. Deris has been with Helloween longer than Kiske ever was for Christ sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't change the fact that Kiske is by far the better singer of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    My favorite material is the 70's stuff (including the first two albums with Phil on lead vocal), but I would go see Genesis just for the fuck of it, even without Gabriel or Hackett. I think Tony Banks is one of the best keyboardists of all time.
    Hackett's solo record Voyage of the Acolyte is pretty underrated. I dug it loads.

Selling England by the Pound / Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-era is my favorite Genesis period with Gabriel; but I really like Foxtrot and about half of Nursery Cryme. A Trick of the Tail is my fucking jam though- even sans Gabriel.

Same goes for a Close to the Edge era Yes or Master of Reality era Sabbath gig.
    Umhm. My favorite period of Yes, the whole Fragile to Tales from Topographic Oceans run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who knew Moonsorrow were Rotting Christ fanboys?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Eh what new Nokturnal Mortum, color me hyped. Will listen when I got time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw Sunn O))) tonight, 1 hour 40 min of a continuous eardrum-bursting aural and visual experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how many times I listen to this, it will always trump Immolation and Incantation for me. Best ending track in any death metal album imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hackett's solo record Voyage of the Acolyte is pretty underrated. I dug it loads.

Selling England by the Pound / Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-era is my favorite Genesis period with Gabriel; but I really like Foxtrot and about half of Nursery Cryme. A Trick of the Tail is my fucking jam though- even sans Gabriel.

Umhm. My favorite period of Yes, the whole Fragile to Tales from Topographic Oceans run.
    Hackett's first three solo albums are pretty killer. I actually had him sign my Acolyte LP when I met him a couple years ago.

ATOTT is amazing. Probably my favorite of the two post-Gabriel album with Hackett. When I saw Hackett he played Dance on a Volcano, Squonk and Los Endos.

SEBTB and The Lamb are probably my favorite Gabrirl albums as well, but the others are still so amazing...

I love Yes from inception through Going for the One. CTTE is nearest and dearest though, and I consider it their definitive statement. RIP Chris Squire.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, most brutal technical death metal bands just get caught up in trying to sound br00tal and as technical as possible. Yes, I'm sure you can play blast beats at 400 bpm. I don't care. If I want to hear that, I'll just start a metronome. Give me something memorable. No, random.org's fully random jazz scales at 16th notes don't qualify. Nor do random sweeps or the occasional break down. Or whatever else you want to add.

Suffocation tend to get it right, though I'm not entirely up to speed with their last release. Origin rarely get it right. Most bands just fail miserably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you seriously trying to tell me an album that's 25 years old, a debut one at that in a time when this death metal style only barely started, has a production that isn't that good? No shit, sherlock.

Here's one that 10 years old. Just listen to the difference:

Or the more recent: