Thread: [Music] Metal

Uada's gonna blow up, mark my words. A debut LP this good is going to cause some waves when it gets noticed, if it gets noticed at all. Could just be another gem lost among the thousands of albums released that get 7 listens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Honestly, for all the shit Nickleback gets, they're basically the same thing as those other shitty overrated bands that came before them. Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Bush, Foo Fighters basically any of those shitty bands that cropped up in the 90's.

I know this is a metal thread and most of metal people like to act like stuff like Nickleback is garbage yet these same people will generally look at some of those grunge bands I listed as being "okay" when to me its all the same shit.
    The color and the Shape, Core and Ten are without a doubt as good or better than 90% of what you listen to, guaranteed.

Nickleback should be offensive to you because of what they are and the music they put out.

From "Something in her mouth" : You're ripping up the dance floor honey
    (you naughty woman)
    You shake your ass around for everyone
    (you're such a mover)
    I love the way you dance with anybody
    (the way you swing)
    And tease them all by sucking on your thumb
    You're so much cooler when you never pull it out
    'Cause you look so much cuter with something in your mouth

I mean if that doesn't make you want to vomit nothing will.

Dave Grohl doesn't make his fans sing about being a "rockstar" when he himself is one.
    Nickleback aren't helped with Chad Kroeger though, who's a gigantic bellend.

- - - Updated - - -

Metalcore is basically Fall out Boy gone hardcore. It's not metal, its a mockery of metal. Metalcore is the reason why the term "screamo" exists.
    Killswitch engage are a mockery of metal.
    Righto.

I believe that we can only talk about Judas Priest based on your criteria because otherwise every single subgenre of metal flies in the face of metal. Every subgenre is a mockery of metal.

I mean, what's thrash metal all about huh? Slow down amirite?
    Fucking Black Sabbath and all their blues influences, a mockery I say!

This thread would ba a pretty boring place if metal was that limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Uada's gonna blow up, mark my words. A debut LP this good is going to cause some waves when it gets noticed, if it gets noticed at all. Could just be another gem lost among the thousands of albums released that get 7 listens.
    Tried it. Couldn't get into it. Melodies - especially at the start - that are too cheerful, slightly forced play and most of all I really don't like the vocalist.

One of the beauties of the net though. Can actually go check out completely random unknown stuff, which is a huge boon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    The color and the Shape, Core and Ten are without a doubt as good or better than 90% of what you listen to, guaranteed.

Dave Grohl doesn't make his fans sing about being a "rockstar" when he himself is one.
    Nickleback aren't helped with Chad Kroeger though, who's a gigantic bellend.
    All of those albums you listed are terrible. See this is what I hate about the majority of Grunge and Rock bands. Their albums don't feel as though there's a lot of work put into the non hits. It gets to the point where some songs are just there just to fill up time on the album and they're just randomly thrown together within a few weeks.

Core in particular is probably one of the worst things I've heard ever. That album has the same stupid chords recycling, the same shitty tempos, the same shitty drumming that you wonder how this band isn't a complete rip off of Pearl Jam. I hate Stone Temple Pilots more than anything but it doesn't stop with them because all of these other bands suffer the same problems with regards to an album.

Ten probably has like 4 decent songs which are the ones you always hear. Once, Jeremy, Alive and Black. The rest like Why Go or fucking Porch suck dick and the last 20 minutes of the album make you wonder how the fuck this is still the same band that made the first three songs of the album. No consistency or organized track list. It's just random songs thrown together at the end to fill up time.

As for Foo Fighters well I've never listened to an entire album from them. I can tell you that I hate them because I always hear their shitty songs on the Rock station and a couple of days ago they played that horrid Monkey Wrench song which I guess is supposed to be good. I actually sat there and wondered "how the fuck is this any better than Nickleback?"

All of these songs have the same boring lifeless instrumentals during the overplayed choruses and they all follow the very simple Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus structure with maybe an outro that repeats the same fucking words that was overdone in the Chorus.

I could go on and on why I hate 90's Rock/Grunge and how its really not that much better than the pop music today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Killswitch engage are a mockery of metal.
    Righto.

I believe that we can only talk about Judas Priest based on your criteria because otherwise every single subgenre of metal flies in the face of metal. Every subgenre is a mockery of metal.

I mean, what's thrash metal all about huh? Slow down amirite?
    Fucking Black Sabbath and all their blues influences, a mockery I say!

This thread would ba a pretty boring place if metal was that limited.
    Killswitch Engage is a mockery of metal because their one of those fucking shitty "melodeath bands" that sold out and became shitty metalcore. That's why I hate Melodeath too because it always teeters on the border of Metalcore and so many melodeath bands end up selling out and going over to metalcore.

The only Genres that should be considered actual pure metal are anything that has direct influence from Heavy metal. That means Thrash, Speed, Power, Death, Black, Doom and any mix between those is considered metal. Melody adding is okay as long as it doesn't take away the Metal aspect of metal. That's why Melodeath is okay but Progressive/Neoclassical Metal is not. The ladder depends too much on piano/keyboards (which is not metal) where as those instruments only enhance Melodeath songs.

I'm not saying people shouldn't listen to whatever isn't metal but I'm just simply stating that there needs to be boundaries somewhere. There's too many fucking shitty sub genres that are influenced by things that have nothing to do with heavy metal yet just because they use metal elements, its considered metal.

The only Genres that should be considered actual pure metal are anything that has direct influence from Heavy metal. That means Thrash, Speed, Power, Death, Black, Doom and any mix between those is considered metal. Melody adding is okay as long as it doesn't take away the Metal aspect of metal. That's why Melodeath is okay but Progressive/Neoclassical Metal is not. The ladder depends too much on piano/keyboards (which is not metal) where as those instruments only enhance Melodeath songs.
    Metalcore has direct influence from heavy metal. So does prog metal. So by your OWN FUCKING ARGUMENT those genres are metal. And why are keyboards and piano not metal, OOC? There's not a fucking book that limits certain instruments to certain genres, and lots of METAL bands use those instruments. Are Savatage and Iron Maiden not metal in your delusions?

Also, you know, tons of POWER METAL bands have more keyboards and "melody adding"(newsflash champ, basically ALL music has melody, classic heavy metal and power metal have fucking TONS of it) than many prog metal bands, but you said power metal is acceptable and prog metal isn't. Do explain, please.

This is a power metal band:

This is a prog metal band. Tell me which features more "melody adding"(such a fucking retarded phrase BTW) and keyboards:

"Pure metal," holy shit I'm getting cancer, metalheads are actually the worst. You'd think this conversation would be about a blackgaze band being considered metal, not fucking prog and metalcore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I saw. And heard. Having somewhat mixed feelings about it and decided I'll just need to hear the entirety to put everything into its proper context. What I did like was that it less of a straight forward continuation of Coloured Sands than their previous clip.

--

Sidenote, the more I hear of the new Vektor, the less excited I am and I've finally figured out why: it's the production. It's too clean. Too neat. Too tidy. A band like Vektor - to me - shouldn't be sounding this purdy.

All of those albums you listed are terrible. See this is what I hate about the majority of Grunge and Rock bands. Their albums don't feel as though there's a lot of work put into the non hits. It gets to the point where some songs are just there just to fill up time on the album and they're just randomly thrown together within a few weeks.

Core in particular is probably one of the worst things I've heard ever. That album has the same stupid chords recycling, the same shitty tempos, the same shitty drumming that you wonder how this band isn't a complete rip off of Pearl Jam. I hate Stone Temple Pilots more than anything but it doesn't stop with them because all of these other bands suffer the same problems with regards to an album.

Ten probably has like 4 decent songs which are the ones you always hear. Once, Jeremy, Alive and Black. The rest like Why Go or fucking Porch suck dick and the last 20 minutes of the album make you wonder how the fuck this is still the same band that made the first three songs of the album. No consistency or organized track list. It's just random songs thrown together at the end to fill up time.

As for Foo Fighters well I've never listened to an entire album from them. I can tell you that I hate them because I always hear their shitty songs on the Rock station and a couple of days ago they played that horrid Monkey Wrench song which I guess is supposed to be good. I actually sat there and wondered "how the fuck is this any better than Nickleback?"

All of these songs have the same boring lifeless instrumentals during the overplayed choruses and they all follow the very simple Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus structure with maybe an outro that repeats the same fucking words that was overdone in the Chorus.

I could go on and on why I hate 90's Rock/Grunge and how its really not that much better than the pop music today.

- - - Updated - - -

Killswitch Engage is a mockery of metal because their one of those fucking shitty "melodeath bands" that sold out and became shitty metalcore. That's why I hate Melodeath too because it always teeters on the border of Metalcore and so many melodeath bands end up selling out and going over to metalcore.

I'm not saying people shouldn't listen to whatever isn't metal but I'm just simply stating that there needs to be boundaries somewhere. There's too many fucking shitty sub genres that are influenced by things that have nothing to do with heavy metal yet just because they use metal elements, its considered metal.
    I agree with almost everything you said, there's definitely too much spongeing going on where bands decide to be heavy or aggressive or whatever without being Metal. This happens with lots of genres once they become oversaturated, people start branching out and grabbing ideas from other places to make music but they still keep those drums or that downtuned guitar to keep their Metal identity. I'm certainly pretty biased and extremely picky about the bands I like, there's classics and mainstays of the genre that I flat out don't enjoy at all.

I disagree that keyboards can't enhance Metal, there's a few bands I enjoy that take it and use it to generate atmosphere, like a Hammer horror soundtrack type of thing. Adding some discord or terror into the mix with some well played and placed synths can take a good song and make it unbelievable, bands like Christ Inversion and Phil Anselmo era Necrophagia really know how to work it, as do other NOLA bands from time to time. I do agree that general piano isn't very applicable to Metal at all unless it's used as an intro/outro or a short length middle of the album track on a concept album but that'd have to be one menacing piano and piano player to make it not fall flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Metalcore has direct influence from heavy metal. So does prog metal. So by your OWN FUCKING ARGUMENT those genres are metal. And why are keyboards and piano not metal, OOC? There's not a fucking book that limits certain instruments to certain genres, and lots of METAL bands use those instruments. Are Savatage and Iron Maiden not metal in your delusions?

Also, you know, tons of POWER METAL bands have more keyboards and "melody adding"(newsflash champ, basically ALL music has melody, classic heavy metal and power metal have fucking TONS of it) than many prog metal bands, but you said power metal is acceptable and prog metal isn't. Do explain, please.
    Just because a band has Metal influences doesn't mean they're Metal. I'd say a safe estimate is half of the formative late 80s/early 90s Metal bands had punk influences yet you wouldn't call a single one of them a punk band. They took the sound, the energy and expanded it elsewhere and it became its' own thing. I think there's only a few bands that tend to cross both boundaries between what they were influenced by and what they've influenced. Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, Priest, Slayer are the ones that spring to mind at the moment though I'd wager there's more.

I think what he's getting at with prog is that the very nature of prog is escalating and ultimately moves rather quickly beyond Metal, even if it keeps some of the sound intact. Ulver are a good example of this, after their early trilogy of Metal albums they started branching out and at first kept a fair chunk of the Metal sound because it was still part of where they were going, nowadays they're not even considered prog they're so far out there. Arcturus is another, started out more Metal but when you hear their more recent stuff it's more progressive rock and the only thing they've kept from their Metal days were the insane bridges they worked in but those are written in a decidedly un-Metal way. I think people looking to play prog are more dedicated to that sound than the Metal sound, for sure.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Melvins never cease to amaze me live; continually one of the best live bands I've witnessed. Napalm Death were intense as always. Magrudergrind coming up later this month.

Deleted
    The metal community is a fucking embarassment.

With that the new letlive. is amazing. What a surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Meh, Cantique Lepreux for some reason didn't resonate with me. Not sure why. [/FONT]
    Did you by the way like the other Quebec black metal band, Sorcier Des Glaces?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't listen yet, so couldn't tell you.

Just got back from seeing High on Fire, Green Death, Skeletonwitch, Abbath and Tribulation. Good show.

Got to hang out with all the guys from Skeletonwitch, Adam & Johnathan from Trib and Abbath himself (sans makeup) for like 2 hours in a bar before the show. They were lovely and super casual.

I also got the setlist from High on Fire, a pick from Tribulation, a towel Abbath used to wipe his sweat on stage. I was front row, dead center against the barrier. The guys recognized us.

Kinda had an amazing day and evening today. Still on my come down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you had a fun time

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Sounds like you had a fun time
    Yea, it was a lot of fun. Although now I can't find the pick and towel I got. I was really inebriated and exhausted last night. I might have left them in the car or in the bathroom somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Sounds great. High on Fire are a blast live.
    High on Fire were the worst band I thought. I was actually yawning physically during their set and the crowd was hyped only for "Rumors of War" and "Fertile Green". Most people were kinda milling about like whatever. Before they ended with "Snakes of the Divine", Matt shouted he wanted the energy to go up to 11. I think he was disappointed.

I met Mat before the show though. We were first in line and he was just smoking outside the theater. Chatting it up with my husband about the weather.

Tribulation blew everyone else away. After their set like 5 people around us were converted to the Trib militia. When their set was done the crowd was chanting "Trib-u-la-tion!, Trib-u-la-tion!, Trib-u-la-tion!" They didn't do that for any other band. While Trib were packing up their gear, the crowd was going nuts for the band members while they picked up their monitors and pedals. That's when Adam threw me the pick. I caught it perfectly. It was amazing.

This is my second time seeing Trib and the first time they upstaged Deafheaven and Envy. Last night the bill was arguably more back end loaded as High on Fire, SK and Abbath had not yet played.

Skeletonwitch were rather good. great playing, just great. They sounded wonderful. The new vocalist is a new guy, reserved, but he lacks the wickedness of Chance. On some songs it's pretty obviously he can't hit the same screech as Chance did on stuff like "Burned from Bone" or "From a Cloudless Sky"; performing "Beyond the Permafrost: was a bit stretching it for Alex. They played two new songs and they sounded great- very groovy and but still with that hint of speed metal at the peripheral. I dug it.

I have to say that the band Skeletonwitch are such straight up BROS. What a bunch of awesome, humble and likeable guys. When they pulled up to the venue Nate was driving their van and Scott was riding shotgun. The rest of the guys were huddled together wrapped in comforters in the back. It was adorable. They unpacked and carried in their own gear; they did their own merch. When we joked with them as they carried all this stuff in (they literally parked right in front of the theater doors), they were all bright, funny and super appreciative of the 5-6 people waiting in line hours before the show start.

There is a pub next door to the venue and when Abbath came out (sans makeup of course) he was just asking for steak. While the guys from High on Fire and Tirbulation when to a diner for breakfast. Abbath ended up walking somewhere down the street after saying hello and snapping pics with everyone in line. That's when Scott, Evan and Nate came back out to hang and we went through the bar entrance to hang out with them- drinking Jameson and Miller Lite (which Skeletonwitch brought themselves, it was in the cab of the van lol). On the way back Abbath ducked in with the Adam and Johnathan from Trib.

It was amazing how incredibly casual, gracious and kind these guys were- making jokes, talking about records, the tour, the weather, their dogs, etc. So cool to just hang out with a handful of fans at a bar like it's any old Saturday afternoon in a pub.

Abbath's hair is beautiful and he smells divine. I was the only lady there so he was hitting on me- LMAO. But what a gentlemen and so well manicured, bathed and presented. His clothes were pristine, clean and worn perfectly. His hair is as soft as mine and as long. We bonded over my eyebrows. XD

Performance-wise, Abbath was fantastic. Sounded great, his costume and make-up were INCREDIBLE. What a performer!

Abbath's facial expressions, tongue wagging, eye ball rolling and kicks were so endearing. This guy went HARD AS FUCK. He never stopped moving, hyping the crowd, playing like a madman, putting it on, headbanging wildly. Songs were okay, the Immortal jams slayed and the crowd went bonkers.

Here's a picture I took of Abbath.

I took more video than photos of the show. It'll be a minute to process it all.

My ears are still ringing.

and a month until Amon Amarth, mmmmmmm.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem with High on Fire is that, generally, they fucking suck in getting their sound right. The only relevant thing appears to be dB rather than clarity of tone.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Well, out of all of those bands, High on Fire is the only one I've seen live and they were headlining a tour with Conan. Both were great. Serpent Eater, a local band, were the first to play that night and I was fascinated by their live performance. The entire evening was just a lot of fun.
    Admittedly, I am not that huge a fan of High on Fire. So there may be some bias compared to the other bands that played that night.

Just looking to my left and right at the show, not many people were huge fans either. High on Fire kinda just ran through the numbers, they played the "hits" and there wasn't a lot happening on stage besides three dudes just playing. Whereas the other bands had larger fan reactions and the musicians themselves had a lot more animation and energy on stage.

I was really into High on Fire when I saw them live, but over here people usually don't go insane over seeing a band live aside from me and some other idiots that just can't keep themselves in check, lol. There were a few concerts where literally everyone went insane, like Converge, where the entire room became a pit, but overall people are much more reserved over here, I guess.
    It is definitely cultural. I been all around Europe, East Asia and Latin/Central America. Europeans are kinda "lame" when it comes to concerts and shows. No offense, of course. ;P

I also noticed that you always have a lot to tell when you come back from a concert and it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if the concert culture over here in Germany, or Europe in general, is just that much different from America. I had the opportunity to talk to some band members before, but I almost never did since I felt like I didn't want to annoy them or barge in and most of the time I didn't know what to say anyway.
    I lived in London for almost a year. And yea, people just did not get hyped like they do elsewhere; namely Latin America and the US. People go nuts and circle pits, fist fights, near riots and so forth are common depending on the show you go to. One of the semi-local venues here in Chicago was shut down recently due to a near riot during an Exodus show.

Euros, even the so-called kvltists are super polite. People don't even clap or laugh aloud at movies. In the US, we do. Modesty and the importance of politeness is not as culturally ingrained as I observed in East Asia and Europe for the most part.

For example, last night a fist fight broke out one body behind me. Supposedly someone got someone else with an elbow in the eye and the security guards bounced the wrong guy or his friend? And the other two went to blows while Skeletonwitch ripped through "Burned from Bone".

I prefer vigor, excitement and visceral reaction at group events.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I prefer vigor, excitement and visceral reaction at group events.
    Blood for the Blood God!