Thread: [Music] Metal

"I was expecting nothing and am still dissapointed: The single: The Band"

Not hot garbage, but room temperature trash at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I think both of those bands are pretty decent but not really the traditional type of power/heavy metal I normally listen to.
    I know, I wanted to try something different. Who knows

And In Flames is still as shitty as the last few albums. Come Clarity, last good album.

Tomorrow is absolutely massive for power metal release-wise, we have:
    Helstar
    DGM
    Dark Forest (UK PM, not the BM band)
    Running Wild
    Vicious Rumors
    Winterstorm
    Delain
    Gloryful
    Seventh Son
    And most importantly to me, Twilight Force

A guy on Reddit got the new Twilight Force early and says it's the best PM ever recorded and that the two singles are by far the worst tracks on the album. That's quite a claim to make and I don't personally believe it, but I hope it is at least as good as their debut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Tomorrow is absolutely massive for power metal release-wise, we have:
    Helstar
    DGM
    Dark Forest (UK PM, not the BM band)
    Running Wild
    Vicious Rumors
    Winterstorm
    Delain
    Gloryful
    Seventh Son
    And most importantly to me, Twilight Force

A guy on Reddit got the new Twilight Force early and says it's the best PM ever recorded and that the two singles are by far the worst tracks on the album. That's quite a claim to make and I don't personally believe it, but I hope it is at least as good as their debut.
    Eh nice, Helstar? Man, color me excited! Couple of other really interesting ones as well.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-08-25 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listening to it right now and I can't even. My brain is currently incapable of dealing with it right now, I'll try again tomorrow. One thing's for sure, it's absolute maximum bombastic.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Listening to it right now and I can't even. My brain is currently incapable of dealing with it right now, I'll try again tomorrow. One thing's for sure, it's absolute maximum bombastic.
    Ughhh I don't get it for 10 more hours you can't just come in and say things like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ughhh I don't get it for 10 more hours you can't just come in and say things like that.
    Be careful when you listen to this in public, you might scream the gayest and nerdiest lyrics ever at the top of your lungs involuntarily.

I for one question my sexuality right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Listening to Twilight Force now. The new Helstar is up next. It's already on Spotify as well.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-08-26 at 07:09 AM.

Deleted
    You seem kind of negative in general tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    You seem kind of negative in general tbh.

Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred for Mankind: 0.5 stars

Be'lakor, Enslaved, Incantation, Horrendous, Krallice, Mgla, Septic flesh, Voivod: 1 star

Liturgy - Aesthethica: 4.5 stars

The fuck is wrong with you goriq? That is literally the worst taste in metal I've ever seen, and my ex was a huge fan of Slipknot.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-08-26 at 09:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any Disturbed/KoRn fans here?

I'm loving both new Disturbed album and KoRn's upcoming album. Korn seems to be going back to their roots. The new album seems to be quite heavy.

Jonathan Davis is my favorite singer. I just love his voice and the new macabre style. But I do miss their Issues album sound.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt there are many disturbed / korn fans here.

Liking the new Twilight Force, and Helstar. The new Vicious Rumors is meh at best though. Has some okay songs, started out quite strong but then it quickly just turned to mediocrity at best. Especially track four, "Last of our Kind" was really really bad. Time for some Pirate heavy metal next.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-08-26 at 12:02 PM.

Deleted
    Hardly surprising.
    Not kvlt enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Hardly surprising.
    Not kvlt enough.
    Well most people here are into more extreme metal so it is hardly surprising most, if not all, don't much like Korn, Disturbed, Slipknot, etc.

Nu metal isn't particularly my cup of tea.

While it's not particularly high on my list of favorites, I will admit that "nu metal" is a guilty pleasure for me sometimes. Korn was my gateway drug back in my teenage days, so I guess some of it is just nostalgia, but I still occasionally listen to things like Mudvayne or Korn, and I do like Disturbed.

Now, I can't imagine how I ever liked Limp Bizkit....but I'm just going to write that one off as "I was 15 then" and move on. To be fair, I didn't have Internet access until the very late 90s, so for a while, the stuff you'd see on TRL (old MTV show that did a "top 10 best music videos" list back in the late 90s for those who aren't old enough or just don't remember it) was the best I could get.

I used to chat on IRC a lot, and I started talking about what bands I liked in one of the channels I frequented. I mentioned things like Korn and Metallica, and a friend I met who lived in Germany at the time started introducing me to bands like Nightwish. I was instantly a huge Nightwish fan and started discovering other stuff on my own (Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, and Therion also became favorites very quickly) after that.

I'm still a huge Nightwish fan to this day. I didn't care as much for their latest offering, but I'd be putting a lot of thought on Century Child if you asked me my favorite album of all time.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-26 at 12:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    While it's not particularly high on my list of favorites, I will admit that "nu metal" is a guilty pleasure for me sometimes. Korn was my gateway drug back in my teenage days, so I guess some of it is just nostalgia, but I still occasionally listen to things like Mudvayne or Korn, and I do like Disturbed.
    There is nothing wrong with that, and to each their own. My guilty pleasure is crappy power metal like Powerwolf. By the way my gateway drug was Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King. I still think it's a fantastic album, and I still listen to it regularly.

There is nothing wrong with that, and to each their own. My guilty pleasure is crappy power metal like Powerwolf. By the way my gateway drug was Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King. I still think it's a fantastic album, and I still listen to it regularly.
    Hah, yeah, I remember Savatage. They were one of the bands that got me started on the power/progressive sound. The first song I ever heard them do was a cover of a Blind Guardian song (Blind Guardian is another one of my favorites).

Rhapsody was a big favorite for a while there (I still love the cheesy/over the top themes like what you see in Gloryhammer albums as well). But yeah, power metal is awesome. It's like.... D&D meets metal.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-26 at 12:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running Wild was Running Wild. Zero surprise there. Decent enough if you like Running Wild, if not, you'll miss nothing by never listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Hah, yeah, I remember Savatage. They were one of the bands that got me started on the power/progressive sound. The first song I ever heard them do was a cover of a Blind Guardian song (Blind Guardian is another one of my favorites).

Rhapsody was a big favorite for a while there (I still love the cheesy/over the top themes like what you see in Gloryhammer albums as well). But yeah, power metal is awesome. It's like.... D&D meets metal.
    Oh yea totally agree. Same reason I like Gloryhammer as well. I also really like Blind Guardian but I don't really consider that crappy power metal. Back when I started getting into metal one of my absolute favorite bands was, and actually still is, Fates Warning. I really often still listen to their old albums, and even though today they play very progressive metal I still enjoy listening to their stuff while normally I wouldn't really consider listening to that type of metal.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-08-26 at 01:11 PM.

One day I'll make a RYM account. For now I am content with Sputnik as my review aggregate site.

First impressions of new Twilight Force after first listen:

Pros
    Twice as long as the debut
    No interludes taking up half the track listing
    Great singalong choruses on some tracks
    soaring vocals
    Grandiose, bombastic moments throughout the album

Cons
    The mixing seems really bad
    Vocals are at points pushed way back in the mix
    Rhythm guitar is barely audible at times, drowned out by the synth
    This albums best tracks aren't really better than the best track or two from the debut
    Drums are way too loud at times

At this point I'll say it's as good as the debut, after more listens it could end up being slightly better or slighty worse
    Last edited by Gib Lover; 2016-08-26 at 02:36 PM.