Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Delu čast in oblast!
    Praise the work and give it power!

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Matter of taste probably as well. I think they're both great albums but Andy's been involved in a ton of different stuff since and the sound has been carried over somewhat. Have to agree on both your picks for non-Martin songs. They're the only two redeeming qualities since, far as I'm concerned.

//edit: Speaking of Sneap. Anyone heard what he's done in Hell?
    //edit2: Figured I might as well link it.

Most of the stuff Andy's been involved with since has been as a producer though, not a player...and it hasn't sounded like Sabbat.

As for Hell, I have the album, it's pretty good if you're into old school 80's metal(Mercyful Fate, for example), but it's not really something that I feel like coming back to very often, either. It's gotten a lot of hype among other fans of old school metal though, just hasn't hooked me quite so much, a lot of the songs just don't stick with me...the one you linked there is one of the better tracks IMO. The band image is hilarious, too...apparently they wanted to give black metal bands a run for their money! Both in terms of image, theatrics, lyrics, and even sound, they remind me a bit of Powerwolf, who I find superior:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a hard time taking Powerwolf remotely serious...

Have to say that I firmly believe that Hell are laughing themselves silly over their imagery and what's happening to them. Just can't see Powerwolf looking at themselves like that.

Can't say I actually bothered to check out a lot more from Hell. Just not into that old school metal much any more (pretty much the only recent exception being Ghost), but was curious to see what others thought.

I'm having a hard time taking Powerwolf remotely serious...

Have to say that I firmly believe that Hell are laughing themselves silly over their imagery and what's happening to them. Just can't see Powerwolf looking at themselves like that.

Can't say I actually bothered to check out a lot more from Hell. Just not into that old school metal much any more (pretty much the only recent exception being Ghost), but was curious to see what others thought.
    Actually, you got it the wrong way around. Hell has basically been playing their gimmick straight since the early 80's, Powerwolf KNOW their image is a joke. If you don't believe me, here's the image they had in their prior band Red Aim:

They also have a song called "Resurrection by Erection" if you aren't yet convinced they're aware of how goofy they are.

Lol:
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2011-11-12 at 11:27 AM.

This. Times a 1000.
    To be fair, he's correct. Amon Amarth isn't Viking Metal. Its Metal about Vikings.

This is going by the perameters of the subgenre - Viking Metal is a harsher form of Folk Metal, with lyrical themes surrounding Nordic culture.

It would be like saying any Metal song about death is Death Metal, or Death Metal has to be about death.

Not saying Amon Amarth aren't badass. Because they totally are. If I was inventing the meaning of Viking Metal, they'd be it - but since I didn't, then they aren't.

Its confusing, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    To be fair, he's correct. Amon Amarth isn't Viking Metal. Its Metal about Vikings.

This is going by the perameters of the subgenre - Viking Metal is a harsher form of Folk Metal, with lyrical themes surrounding Nordic culture.

It would be like saying any Metal song about death is Death Metal, or Death Metal has to be about death.

Not saying Amon Amarth aren't badass. Because they totally are. If I was inventing the meaning of Viking Metal, they'd be it - but since I didn't, then they aren't.

Its confusing, I know.
    It is confusing. And....you're still confused, apparently, cause the term viking metal was coined to refer to Bathory's Hammerheart album, an album that has nothing to do with folk metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Viking Metal != Folk metal.

It has bugger all to do with Folk Metal. Same as it has bugger all to do with Flower Pop or Jap Pop or House music.

That's what the facedesk was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    It is confusing. And....you're still confused, apparently, cause the term viking metal was coined to refer to Bathory's Hammerheart album, an album that has nothing to do with folk metal.
    Why did they call it viking metal again?

Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    Cause it had a "cold atmosphere" and was about vikings, pretty much.

J-Rock/Metal

Not sure how to classify it, quite extreme.

A local band called Vredehammer

And yet another local band, Elite

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    Because it's about Vikings and the Norse Mythology & heritage. This developed from Quorthon's releases, which musically inspired a band like Enslaved more than it ever did Amon Amarth. Stylistically, Amon Amarth are solidly within the melodic Death Metal genre. They pretty much embody the sound. Whether or not you'll call them Viking Metal doesn't matter to me, but Folk Metal and Viking Metal are in no way synonymous, which is what caused the reaction here.

--

Thanks for Dir En Grey. Heard the name a few times and been meaning to check 'em out. Not my cup o' tea, but got to make up my own mind now.

As to Anaal Nathrakh, just stick to Black / Grind. If you want you can add a dash of Death Metal and Industrial, but that'd be clogging things up really. Quite amusing you linked the Codex rather than more recent stuff.

As I stated earlier, I find the term "viking metal" a stupid name for a genre anyways, but as posted above, it is not a genre that is synonymous with folk metal, EVEN IF some folk metal bands fall under the "viking metal" umbrella.

Deleted

Have to say I'm not a big fan of Dragons of the North, but this song is pretty awesome imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting away from the Viking / Folk thing for a bit.

Gorath:

//edit: Figured I'd add one

Last edited by Duilliath; 2011-11-13 at 10:24 AM.

Getting away from the Viking / Folk thing for a bit.
    I tried that by posting Redemption, Myrath, and Symphony X, but it didn't work. So, I'll try again with a comparatively obscure power metal band, Norway's Guardians of Time, who just released a new album(their first in 7 years...they're not exactly prolific either):

First 2 songs from 2004's Machines of Mental Design, second 2 from this year's sequel to that album, A Beautiful Atrocity.

Since the conversation of non-viking metal with viking themes came up, thought I'd throw out some Unleashed:

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been a while since I posted in this thread so here's some great new releases:

Somewhat proggy black metal.

Sludgy / doomy post black metal.

Post metal.

Deleted
    I have many bands that I just love but Kamelot has to be definately the number one for me.

10+ Year Old Account

I finally got around to listening to the new Ulcerate. I never really got into much recent Death Metal, particularly Nile and their kind, because it always seems they put brutality first -- so much that they have absolutely no atmosphere to their music. OH MY GOD SO FUCKING FAST AND HEAVY JESUS WOW AGGRESSION FUCK YEAH doesn't do it for me.

This does, though. Holy hell what a good album.