Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    Could any of you recommend me some bands like these?
    <CC>
    (Death Metal, the heavy kind)

<The Faceless>
    (Technical Death Metal, the kind that doesn't make all the songs 82 minutes long....)

Any suggestions?

If not, I guess I can of course get older CC albums, and get the new Faceless when it comes out in a few weeks when it comes out and will find more in time

Preferably modern-ish answers, I'd like new albums and maybe shows to look foward to + better production
    The Faceless is being compared to Obscura and Necrophagist mostly, I assume you know Obscura but what about Necrophagist?

Also, a band which probably matches both your requests is Origin. I only know their latest album Entity, but it is generally accepted that Antithesis is somewhat better while being very similiar in style. It's essentially technical/brutal death metal with generally short songs (on Entity, there is one 7 minutes long song, the rest are between 1 and 5 mins) and large focus on both brutality and technicality, however the band isn't subtle at all so don't expect Obscura-like musicianship and creativity there.

In Flames
    Trivium
    All That Remains
    Amaranthe
    Iron Maiden
    Disturbed
    Unearth
    Etc.. Too many more to list

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    The Faceless is being compared to Obscura and Necrophagist mostly, I assume you know Obscura but what about Necrophagist?

Also, a band which probably matches both your requests is Origin. I only know their latest album Entity, but it is generally accepted that Antithesis is somewhat better while being very similiar in style. It's essentially technical/brutal death metal with generally short songs (on Entity, there is one 7 minutes long song, the rest are between 1 and 5 mins) and large focus on both brutality and technicality, however the band isn't subtle at all so don't expect Obscura-like musicianship and creativity there.
    Yeah I know of both Obscura and Necrophagist, I haven't really looked into either one much though, have heard a song or two by each a while back.

Upon further inspection Necrophagist looks like one of those bands that it'd just piss me off to be into, 1 album in 99. One in 04. Both pretty short too.... Nothing since then..... That'd piss me off if I actually liked them o_O If they come out with something new maybe I'll give it a listen but that's horse-shit to take that long between albums...

Obscura on the other hand.... (giving them another listen) maybe. They seem more consistent with release and sound better in general. I like how the vocals are high, I prefer high to low actually. Although my favorite is when a band does both highs and lows. Makes it more dynamic and memorable.

Listened to "Expulsion of Fury" by Entity Yeah you're right about them being crazy, not so sure with them. Lol it sounded like they were using more than 2 bass pedals even at the end...

Anyway I only recently got into CC & Faceless. CC 1st then I was kind of... hungry for more so to speak So I thought of all the "Real" Death Metal bands I had heard of (I've listened to Melodic Death Metal & Deathcore a long time you know, wanted to venture even further into the proverbial waters of metal) and The Faceless seemed to me like..... more of the same but with a twist, multiple twists even. They're interesting. What all with the blast beats, occasional spurs of turning temporarily into a black metal band, the robot voices occasionally, really interesting guitar in some of the songs. Plus how can that album art not catch the eye o_O it'd be badass to walk around in a T shirt with that art on it

Seems like there's a zillion Tech Death bands, of course not many... or any of them as far as I can find sound quite like The Faceless but not many bands seem to sound like Cannibal Corpse, I enjoy the originality

It's weird but the closest band to Cannibal Corpse that I know of, is Amon Amarth. CC sounds like a heavier Amon Amarth to me.

Like I said before though, I could always just listen to these 2 albums till I get tired of them, then can go backwards to "Evisceration Plague" by CC, and foward to Autothiesm by The Faceless in about a month here.

So some somewhat similar bands I have under consideration include :
    Obscura
    Suffocation
    Dying Fetus (Can't understand a damn word their vocalist says, but I figure reading lyrics could fix that. Seems to for just about every other band)
    Skeletonwitch (The Faceless temporary Black Metal moments in some songs bring these guys to mind, I love this song but not others by them really)

Kamelot's new singer is Tommy Karevik + new song

10+ Year Old Account
    Really like Allegaeon when it comes to tech melodeath

And some Rosetta. For the people who don't know them, they released in 2005 the best post-metal album of all time. It's 2 CDs (one is post metal and the other is ambient), they are best played together at the same time. Really powerful stuff.

Deleted
    Well truth to be told, CC is pretty generic as far as DM goes, so it should not be very hard to find bands that sound like it.
    Look around older DM bands like Deicide, Morbid Angel etc.

If you liked Obscura I also recommend you a canadian tech/prog DM band called Augury. They are quite similiar to Obscura, also sporting an awesome fretless bass. I have their 2009 album "Fragmentary Evidence" and it is really good and DIVERSE as well.

Also, a band that is similiar to The Faceless is a small canadian tech death band called First Fragment. They released one EP which is purchasable now but they also originally released for download for free. I am 100% sure of that, they said it on their official facebook multiple times etc. but I cannot for fuck's sake find a DL link by them. But I am pretty sure it's up on some blog or w/e. Plus yo ucan listen to all tracks on their myspace page.

And I almost ended up buying a "Planetary Duality" T-shirt but in the end ended up with a "The Discovery" and a "In Dreams" (After The Burial) tee.
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-07-21 at 11:02 AM.

Well truth to be told, CC is pretty generic as far as DM goes, so it should not be very hard to find bands that sound like it.
    Look around older DM bands like Deicide, Morbid Angel etc.
    Ehh....... CC is more intense. Push play on that "Demented Aggression" video... definitely more intense than most bands.... Those other older bands sound more Death-y than Cannibal Corpse-y really

The interesting thing is that, in all seriousness Cannibal Corpse PIONEERED that generic sound. Really.

Other than Death, Cannibal Corpse is the most recognized pioneer of Death Metal, the two sound different from each other though. Death paved the way for more melodic, intelligent, progressive, etc Death Metal. Cannibal Corpse paved the way for the brutally heavy and intense Death Metal bands.

So I mean, it's kind of weird to call a band that basically invented it's own sound generic, just because so many bands attempted to copy them that they get lost in a sea of bands that try to sound similar.

It's kind of funny, Possessed is the earliest band responsible for a Death Metal album... but they get no credit (Because honestly they basically sounded terrible) Death just came along and did what they were doing, but better ;D Then a few years later Cannibal Corpse took what Death had done , did the same thing but pushed the boundaries of gore & heaviness... which is then copied by 29827648 other bands apparently.

Even with all those wannabe's, I haven't really heard anything that sounds like a direct ripoff or anything

Anyway since you mentioned that you almost bought a Planetary Duality T shirt, and that you did buy a The Discovery T shirt, I think I can probably trust your recommendations to an extent, but right now my head hurts from blasting metal through headphones all night.. maybe will check that song you posted tomorrow or something.

I just checked iTunes and even they don't have First Fragment..... now I donno if I wanna watch that... what if I love it but then can't actually buy it D:

I really don't know what you're looking for so here's some modern tech death:
    Beyond Creation - No Request for the Corrupted
    Anata - Downward Spiral into Madness
    Odious Mortem - The Endless Regression of Mind
    A Loathing Requiem - Rapturous Euphoria
    Infinitum - The Anomaly Breeds
    Arsis - Maddening Disdain
    You've probably heard of these guys but I'll post them anyways:
    Hour of Penance - Misconception
    Spawn of Possession - Bodiless Sleeper

Wow this kind of ended up being a lot more than I thought

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    Dat fretless bass.

I just realized it's the same guy from Augury.

...and let's not forget Quo Vadis, it might also be a relevant band to the topic at hand!

Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-07-21 at 09:10 PM.

Dat fretless bass.

I just realized it's the same guy from Augury.

...and let's not forget Quo Vadis, it might also be a relevant band to the topic at hand!
    Dominic "Forest" is definitely one of the most recognizable bass players I've heard, he's awesome.

I've posted this before I think but it's relevant now

Yeah the Montreal tech death bands seem to share a lot of musicians. And Quo Vadis is definitely relevant here as well.

Deleted
    My favourite is Jeroen Paul Thesseling, his work on Cosmogenesis is just incredible but this guy is definitely a close second^^

Okay...if we're going to talk Technical Death Metal:

It's not an option not to listen to this album.

Speaking of brutal newer stuff:

Not just plugging this in here because I know Matt Harvey - Exhumed actually is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps these might be to your taste?

If you like CC, well I don't know how I forgot about these guys:

Personally I like them more than Cannibal

10+ Year Old Account

I love these guys, Seeing them live in Rochester the 26th!
    Last edited by Benchwarmers898; 2012-07-22 at 02:09 PM.
    The world is an unfair, unjust, uncaring place, get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    If you like CC, well I don't know how I forgot about these guys:
    <Cannabis corpse videos>
    Personally I like them more than Cannibal
    lol.... I'm sure it'd just piss me off by reminding me about all the weed I DON'T HAVE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New AILD, I have not been that impressed with. It's kinda good but they've definitely done better than that for years so I hope that's actually like the worst track on the album

What genre would you guys say this band is?

I mean, I would say Black Metal, but I've seen some sites and some youtube arguements disputing this
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-07-23 at 10:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    lol.... I'm sure it'd just piss me off by reminding me about all the weed I DON'T HAVE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New AILD, I have not been that impressed with. It's kinda good but they've definitely done better than that for years so I hope that's actually like the worst track on the album

What genre would you guys say this band is?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMgcuQdkSlA
    I mean, I would say Black Metal, but I've seen some sites and some youtube arguements disputing this
    It's melodic death metal. Black metal sounds very, very different.

This is black metal (or a variation of it):
    Darkthrone - Skald Av Satans Sol
    Armagedda - Only True Believers
    Mgła - Mdłości I
    Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
    Deathspell Omega - The Shrine of Mad Laughter
    Lunar Aurora - Geisterschiff
    Emperor - Beyond The Great Vast Forest
    Gris - Il Etait Une Forêt
    Katharsis - Kross Fyre
    Aeternus - As I March
    Paysage d'Hiver - Welt Aus Eis

On a side note, you sure like sumerian records, every band you link seems to be from that label.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-07-23 at 11:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure how you'd get to Black Metal from that. A weird logo does not a band Black Metal make.

--

Badpaladin, I summon thee! You need to hear this, think you'll really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    It's melodic death metal. Black metal sounds very, very different.

This is black metal (or a variation of it):
    Darkthrone - Skald Av Satans Sol
    Armagedda - Only True Believers
    Mgła - Mdłości I
    Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
    Deathspell Omega - The Shrine of Mad Laughter
    Lunar Aurora - Geisterschiff
    Emperor - Beyond The Great Vast Forest
    Gris - Il Etait Une Forêt
    Katharsis - Kross Fyre
    Aeternus - As I March
    Paysage d'Hiver - Welt Aus Eis

On a side note, you sure like sumerian records, every band you link seems to be from that label.
    If someone says Melodic Death Metal I'm thinking like..... Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, In Flames, and so forth... I don't really find that band sounds like those but I guess it doesn't matter. That's why I even asked, because I'm horribly confused at how that is somehow the same genre as say.... In Flames?

On that side note.... Cannibal Corpse & Skeletonwitch are not from Summerian? The Sumerian thing is cause they know how to promote. You like one or two of their bands and they'll find a way to shove the others down your throat too Maybe it just looks like more than it even is cause they put pics of 4 other albums on the side.

Anyway they are admittedly home to at least (thinks about it) at least 5 bands I'm a fan of though, so I do tend to see these other bands they put off on the side of the video and inspect some of their stuff too

Btw, that was a whole lot more examples than probably needed
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-07-23 at 11:58 AM.

Deleted
    Simple. Enfold Darkness is just like The Black Dahlia Murder and Arsis play a sort of tech-melodeath. With actual death metal in it.

In Flames and the rest might be considered "melodeath" but they don't have ANY death metal in their music at all. Gothenburg might be a better designation for them, except CoB which is "extreme power metal".

"Real" melodeath is stuff like Demigod, Dismember, Arsis, Quo Vadis, early Amon Amarth (nowadays it's gothenburg), later The Black Dahlia Murder (early was metalcore) etc.

These are actual death metal bands with lots of melody and harmonization.