Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Protection Paladin Guide and FAQ for 3.3 and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    I'd rather have 3 FAQ stickied (Holy,Prot,Ret), than any of that fun + crap stuff !_!, and I really don't think that 3 FAQs stickied would be too much.
    Thirded. Either this or have a lump sticky for each spec as Jin's is pretty decent for new paladins as well. If the "New Paladin Ideas" thread is so exciting it will keep itself alive, but making the Talent Spec FAQ's more organized and noticeable would benefit all of us...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin
    Thirded. Either this or have a lump sticky for each spec as Jin's is pretty decent for new paladins as well. If the "New Paladin Ideas" thread is so exciting it will keep itself alive, but making the Talent Spec FAQ's more organized and noticeable would benefit all of us...maybe.
    Same here, I think stickies need to be re-done tbh. The Ex-stickies thread is actually a good idea, but the content in it is not.

Maybe just tag really old threads with *Old*

Or with the number of which ever patch it was written for.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

One tiny mistake that I noticed:
    It's the Glyph of Righteous Defense, not the Glyph of Hand of Reckoning.

@ Offhand : an overall fair guide, obviously intended for beginners/regular tanks. There are some topics that aren't covered - or they are, just in a brief manner - but they aren't essential, as far as the target audience is concerned. Thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by luthe
    Quote Originally Posted by Iselian
    Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I use blade ward primarily because it has the highest uptime
    Blade Ward, from tests I've seen/done, has a lower PPM rate than Mongoose.
    i also run blade ward because the uptime is way higher then other enchants (I've seen it hit 4 stacks, i've never seen mongoose refresh itself 4 times within it's own duration.)
    Goose and BW are both 1 ppm, not haste-normalized. Moreover, they have the same proc triggers. It's mathematically impossible for BW to ever reach a higher average value of the global uptime.

However, w/ 2-3 stacks being very typical it gives me 8-10% more avoidance...
    Easy there, big boy. Your armory profile shows 753 defense/335 parry rating. Think again at your statement. :P

Corpse Tongue Coin + AD + Blood Draining, for those hard hitting ICC bosses,

my 2 cents
    Ex-gm of Eternals
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Balnazzar&n=Ori
    "Blah blah woof woof"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoskadosk
    So...

As I've kind of figured out on my own, my choice of professions as a low level (herbalism and inscription) severely lowers my HP compared to tanks with the "right" professions. Would it severely hurt me if I don't change my professions as an ICC10 offtanking paladin, or isn't it that bad? Personally I hate the fact that you can't pick the professions you want since Blizzard implemented this, but I want to try to be as good as I can.
    For 10 man normal modes, I wouldn't worry too hard about that level of min/maxing. If you get into higher level content it may be a concern. I would have to find the the reworked numbers since they introduced the slight health scaling of lifeblood. Herb and Inscription do something for a tank, they just aren't as strong as other possible combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengo
    ... OR 22 AGI - avoidance (dodge), mitigation (armor) and threat (crit) in one.
    And paladin need less agi per 1% dodge than warr/dk 8)
    I'm aware of the benefits of agility and even link the "Get the Hell out of Dodge" in the guide. However, I do really feel that once defense cap is no longer an issue you're better off with large EH enchants instead. The difference between in armor bewteen the two is about 175 AC.

I agree, though I don't know if Mongoose can refresh itself once it is active, and if that is the case then that point is sort of moot. However, w/ 2-3 stacks being very typical it gives me 8-10% more avoidance...quite often...which I feel is more beneficial than a heal for 2200. I prefer the proactive approach this enchant has rather than reactive I guess.
    Mongoose also has the same chance of saving your ass, but once it does, it doesn't go away like Blade Ward.

Plus it's cheaper. But yeah, I go with Blood Draining myself.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Very Solid Tankadin FAQ

my contribution:
    Its worth mentioning that it only req 537 Defence if your using the pvp Shoulder enchant (30stam 15 resil), which i qess loads of people are atm

best regards

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Aedh
    Or with the number of which ever patch it was written for.
    I'll review the stickes and include which patch they are most current for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin84
    Same here, I think stickies need to be re-done tbh. The Ex-stickies thread is actually a good idea, but the content in it is not.

Maybe just tag really old threads with *Old*
    I agree with this sentiment, there's still relevant guides for all specs that have been kept current, some haven;t and it makes sense to remove them but I see no reason to get rid of updated guides during the expansion. Cataclysm is still a bit far off and while I look forward to alpha/beta info, there's still no conclusive evidence of a Cat alpha taking place right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd
    @ Offhand : an overall fair guide, obviously intended for beginners/regular tanks. There are some topics that aren't covered - or they are, just in a brief manner - but they aren't essential, as far as the target audience is concerned. Thanks for the effort.

Blade Ward, from tests I've seen/done, has a lower PPM rate than Mongoose.

i also run blade ward because the uptime is way higher then other enchants (I've seen it hit 4 stacks, i've never seen mongoose refresh itself 4 times within it's own duration.)

Goose and BW are both 1 ppm, not haste-normalized. Moreover, they have the same proc triggers. It's mathematically impossible for BW to ever reach a higher average value of the global uptime.

Easy there, big boy. Your armory profile shows 753 defense/335 parry rating. Think again at your statement. :P
    How can blade ward have one proc per minute when i've seen it hit 4 stacks? it has a 10 second duration, that shouldn't even be possible?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Solandrys

Quote Originally Posted by tlitd

Are you referring to the proc for Blade Ward as each stack or how long of a internal cool-down there is between the first stack and the next first stack? If that is the case then it only becomes an argument of which enchant is more powerful/useful in the buffs they provide.

I've definitely had my character sheet open during raids and have seen my Parry % up that high, though in truth, after diminishing returns with my gear that is more like 5.5-7.5% with 2-3 stacks. I would need 4 to get to 10% and 5 would give me 31% Parry after DRs..which doesn't happen often, but 4-5 stacks are within the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by luthe
    How can blade ward have one proc per minute when i've seen it hit 4 stacks? it has a 10 second duration, that shouldn't even be possible?
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Ppm

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

I've definitely had my character sheet open during raids and have seen my Parry % up that high, though in truth, after diminishing returns with my gear that is more like 5.5-7.5% with 2-3 stacks. I would need 4 to get to 10% and 5 would give me 31% Parry after DRs..which doesn't happen often, but 4-5 stacks are within the realm of possibility.
    Character sheet figures for dodge and parry are post-DR, by the way. An 8% increase on your character sheet is an 8% increase in chance to parry.

15+ Year Old Account

They really need to give us tanks a good weapon enchant. DKs have a pretty sweet runeforging they can do, yet there are no other good enchants for tank weapons. There are several mediocre ones. I wish they would have implemented that 50 Stam enchant, or any number of other ones. Defense, Armor, Stam, or something that weapon swings proc rather than all of our procs dependent on being hit, which only becomes less viable the better gear we get. I run with Blade Ward, only because it looks better than having nothing.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

It's a good sentiment. A armor type proc would be easy to model, as would and avoidance type enchant that didn't cancel on a parry.

I'm half convinced people still use mongoose in such great numbers because they can tell what it actually does, and is easily predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    They really need to give us tanks a good weapon enchant. DKs have a pretty sweet runeforging they can do, yet there are no other good enchants for tank weapons. There are several mediocre ones. I wish they would have implemented that 50 Stam enchant, or any number of other ones. Defense, Armor, Stam, or something that weapon swings proc rather than all of our procs dependent on being hit, which only becomes less viable the better gear we get. I run with Blade Ward, only because it looks better than having nothing.
    thing is about DK enchants. they are made to compensate lack of tanking stats on 2h weapons. + DK's already got less stamina then Paladins.

A solid guide, well done Offhand.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Started adding BiS lists as information comes in.