Disc Priest Question!

Hi guys!

First off I play a Warrior main, have been for a few years. I got my old priest up from the 50's last week and have geared him quite substantially in the meantime. I like to think I know a bit about theorycrafting (about all classes, Warriors I know back to front), but I am unsure about the following "problem".

My priest was levelled with the intention of doing lots of arena, so naturally I have gone for the Furious gear from badges and have taken whatever else I can get from my instance grinds. I consider his gear to not be bad at all considering he has been 80 for less than a week. (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...wn&cn=Aviandor).

So, the question I am posing. Basically, as Disc PW:S is a powerhouse ability. I noticed the 4 set Furious gear (and relentless for that matter) bonus is alot of SP and a 2 second reduction on Weakened soul. This got me thinking, so I did some maths:

4 Piece Conquest Set Totals 4 Piece Furious Gladiator Totals

SP - 527 SP - 555
    Spirit - 256 Spirit - 198
    Intellect - 320 Intellect - 210
    Haste - 132
    Crit - 116

(note these numbers are from 4 pieces only, namely head, shoulders, legs and hands)

In total I would lose 110 int, 58 spirit, 132 Haste and 116 crit. I would gain 28sp (by equipping the furious set for raiding / heroics)

So, less Mana regen, but mana is not an issue for me in raids nor heroics. Less int, which means less mana and ofc less crit which is a big loss but a more powerful PW:S, which you can cast 2 seconds faster. If I can cast this faster then it means I do less healing and over a long fight the 2 seconds would make a massive difference, but is it worth the loss of the crit? Crit and haste are what I am worried about losing really, so basically 116 crit and 132 haste, or 28sp and 2 seconds of the weakened soul effect?

Pardon the long post, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't seen as a "noob" but rather someone that would really appreciate some insight into how good PW:S is, and whether I could get by raiding ICC 10 with the 4set furious and not conquest for example.

--------------/--------------/--------------/--------------/--------------/--------------/--------------/--------------/

------------/------------/------------/------------/------------/------------/------------/------------/------------/------------/

This diagram represents the amount of casts I could get off in 2 minutes (each - equals 1 second, each / a PW:S cast). Top 4 pieces conquest, bottom 4 pieces furious. Over an 8 minute fight, 32 4 piece conquest casts and 40 furious 4 piece casts. If we presume an average absorbtion of 8k (theoretical), this means the 4 piece furious absorbs 320,000 damage compared to 256,000 over an 8 minute fight (again, just examples).

Thanks for reading! Please give your thoughts below.

TLDR Summary: 4 pieces furious better for Disc than 4 pieces conquest? Discuss!

Re: Disc Priest Question!

Actually, there would probably be less absorbtion with the furious.

One thing is that you lose crit. As a disc priest, when you crit heal somebody it procs Divine Aegis on them. Which absorbs damage. You would also lose the T9 4-set of 10% more absorbtion with Divine Aegis.

Another thing is, in an 8-minute fight in PvP gear. You will most likely go OOM.
    You would have a smaller mana-pool, mine drops 3k mana if I put on my 4 pieces of PvP gear.
    You would also have less MP5. This is a bad thing.

tl;dr:
    No.

Re: Disc Priest Question!

Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    Pardon the long post, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't seen as a "noob" but rather someone that would really appreciate some insight into how good PW:S is, and whether I could get by raiding ICC 10 with the 4set furious and not conquest for example.
    Well First of all. In my opinion there is no such thing as noobs or stupid questions. Only arrogant players and stupid answers.

Feel free to ask. That IS why we have forums. Right ?

--
    If you take it rough, you loose too much thoroughput compared to a PvE set of same itemlvl.

And the 13 second weakened soul, is marginal compared to you going Oom or lacking thoroughput.

But if your guild does not do heavy progression - I am sure you could make it work with you healing in pvp gear ( with some random offset items etc ).

Take it up with your GM or RL and find a solution.
    If you can do your job properly in 10m's - Then I see no problem.

But be aware that it is not optimal by any means. But definetly doable.