Upgrade my pc or just build a new pc?

Hi, I'm running a PC with Windows xp home

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 352 3.20GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB
    2GB RAM of pc3200
    80 gig hdd 7200 rpm 2MB cache
    Intel D101GGC Motherboard
    Nvidia Geforce 7200gs graphic card
    300W PS

I don't know if I should just upgrade it to the best possible way I can and if so what things should I be looking to upgrade and if my pc is total crap what can i get for around $800. Thanks

Re: Upgrade my pc or just build a new pc?

New

Definitely need a new one. That thing is about 6-7 years old.

I'll leave it up to others to come up with a list for $800 (not used to US pricing), but you should be able to get a good system for that, especially if you keep your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    in soviet russia, mods troll you!

Definitely a new PC.

Are you going to be building it yourself? If not, do you have someone that can build it for you? If you answered no to both of these questions, then go to ibuypower.com and try to put together a system that would suit your price range. Post back here with what you've come up with and we will try to give you more suggestions.

What are you looking to do with your new PC?

[23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

yeah im going to build the pc myself. Im currently taking some classes in college learning about all the computer stuff so hopefully I'll be able to build it soon enough.
    as for what im looking to get out of my pc is not much just looking to play wow more than anything to be honest. along with being able to just go on the internet see a couple of videos on youtube and store addons for wow and some music. not too much though. I might try and use the computer for networking though so i dont know if im going to need some sort of crazy computer to be able to do networking. I have a question though for when I do build a new pc. Is it possible to transfer the operating system from my old pc to my new pc? Because I figured that would be cheaper than buying a new operating system all together. I thought I could do that first then upgrade by using this discount from microsoft for college students http://www.microsoft.com/student/dis...1782&WT.srch=1. Would that be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by jpeezy
    Is it possible to transfer the operating system from my old pc to my new pc?
    It depends. If you have a retail version of the operating system then you'll just need to reactivate windows on the new system and you should be right to go.

If you've got an OEM copy (most likely) then the basic answer is no. Microsoft puts code into the verification system that saves info about the hardware you registered with. If the hardware significantly changes then the software will lock out and refuse to activate.

Just get the Windows 7 Professional through the student software deal from the start.

alrite i think i will do that. wen i get the operatin system though it has to be the full one rite? it can't be the upgrade rite?

Quote Originally Posted by jpeezy
    alrite i think i will do that. wen i get the operatin system though it has to be the full one rite? it can't be the upgrade rite?
    Yeah, you'll want either the full retail or OEM version.

Can you get the OEM/Systems builder version using the discount? If so, that's awesome! I can save 40 bucks when I decide to upgrade ^^

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    It depends. If you have a retail version of the operating system then you'll just need to reactivate windows on the new system and you should be right to go.

If you've got an OEM copy (most likely) then the basic answer is no. Microsoft puts code into the verification system that saves info about the hardware you registered with. If the hardware significantly changes then the software will lock out and refuse to activate.

Just get the Windows 7 Professional through the student software deal from the start.
    It is possible with OEM, upgraded my hardware quite a few times and they then want me to call Microsoft. Did that, they give me a new key without any problems so I could register

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    It is possible with OEM, upgraded my hardware quite a few times and they then want me to call Microsoft. Did that, they give me a new key without any problems so I could register
    Which components? I think the licence says something like 3 core components changed means you need a new copy.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Degrador
    Which components? I think the licence says something like 3 core components changed means you need a new copy.
    Uuhm basically everything tbh, got a new CPU/Mobo/graka/RAM/PSU, only thing that was the same (for a while) was the DVD writer